Maintaining???

Options
So, I have never reached my goal weight before, and I'm still on my journey, so I'm curious

For those who have reached their goal weight, is it hard to maintain?? Or do you fall into old habits. I'm hoping to feel so different that i will realised that is how I want to stay for the rest of my life.

But how have you found it to be??

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I've never reached my goal either but I've always read that maintaining is incredibly hard, and tends to be harder than losing.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It is definitely different. I have been maintaining since about June. Occasionally I go up a few pounds then I just need to cut back for a few days. I continued to log everything for about a month or two, then I logged until dinner for a while, then sporadically. I still visit this site almost everyday. Over the holiday I probably gained about 3 pounds but I am below where I thought I'd be last January. I was 160 in January with a goal weight of 135. Amazingly I got down to 120 and fluctuate between 119 and 123. I do weigh everyday now instead of once a week so I can tweak my eating plan as needed. You'll get there, good luck!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This terrifies the life out of me....

So many times (seriously, SO many times!) I have lost weight and been good - OK - I'm ready to stop losing weight now...

Then a year later Im bigger than before and right back at the starting line....

I know how to lose weight and I know how to gain weight - but I have no idea how to stay the same!!!!!!
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about what happens when you change to maintaining and then increase your calories.

Did people immediately put weight back on when they increased calorie intake to maintenance level?
  • DonnaPLee
    Options
    Wow BrookeP... That's exactly me. Practically every year, I lose 15-30 pounds, then gain every pound of it back during the fall/winter, then start over. Not this time. I lost 70 pounds from Feb-Nov. From Nov 10- Dec 30 I maintained (maybe a pound back and forth). I was thrilled w/ that. Unfortunately, I somehow gained several pounds in a couple days, so I'm back into it. It all depends on your weight/height/activity level, but I think if I stay around 1500 on most days I should be ok.
  • jimmynorton24
    Options
    maintaining is simply done by continuing your exercise and solid nitritional habits, slip ups happen but holding yourself accountable for those slip ups will allow you to maintain what you have worked so hard to achieve!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is your weight times 13 , 14 or 15 you have to figure out how many calorie work for you to maintain your currant weight.

so if you want to maintain 150 pounds you would multiply 150 x 13 = 1950 calories if you start to lose a little after a couple of months time it by 14 which would be 2100calorie if your weight starts to go up go back to 13 x's your weight.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about what happens when you change to maintaining and then increase your calories.

Did people immediately put weight back on when they increased calorie intake to maintenance level?
    I didn't. I've been maintaining right around 129-130 since August. I've actually increased my calories several times since then.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    thanks for your posts, it puts things into perspective. Losing weight is one thing and I think most of us have been on that journey, but maintenance is a WHOLE other journey......

Gee's I'm glad I'm not alone :happy: