The Thin Girl Myth

sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
edited September 19 in Motivation and Support
So I thought this was interesting and actually quite informative.......So the manager of my complex came by today to see about some repairs I need and she noticed my Gazelle out (she didn't notice my 20 pound loss :() so anyway I told her that I am eating healthy and really working on getting in shape.....hence the reason my broken fridge is so bad bad bad, losing all my fresh veggies....anyway, so then I asked her. She is 5 feet tall and about 125....size 4-6. I said I don't mean to pry, but alot of people think that thin is thin is thin, that if your born with it you just are.......she corrected me quickly....and I got some great insight from a tiny girl.

She said she works out at least 3 times a week, her meat is never bigger then the palm of her hand, she doubles that in veggies, and has a huge salad.....she stays away from cookies, but if she is gonna have them she has 2 and that is that. When she goes out to eat, she orders wisely, but when she does that sigh we all do, which says.....your full (I have been known to keep going) she asks for a box to take it home. She admits to being a snacker while she reads....so she has a cup of popcorn and she drinks alot of water. She said that she does eat what she wants, but definately in moderation...she does not have chips in the house, because those are her downfall......she choses wise snacks when going to parties....hits the veggie platter alot more then the fatty platter.

She has never had a weight issue, meaning to say she has never been more then 15 pounds over what she is now and that was pregnant. But she knows the potential as she see's it in 5 pounds. She told me, although it may seem easy when you are thin, it is not. We have to be just a deligent about what we put in our mouth as someone trying to lose weight. She admits that when she was a teenager she didn't.....but she is not a teenager anymore.

So thats it, I thought it was interesting to ask someone outside my group. And great to hear, she has to do exactly what we have to.....confirming, this is an ENTIRE life change, NOT just a crash diet.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

56259.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Replies

• sassiebritches
    So I thought this was interesting and actually quite informative.......So the manager of my complex came by today to see about some repairs I need and she noticed my Gazelle out (she didn't notice my 20 pound loss :() so anyway I told her that I am eating healthy and really working on getting in shape.....hence the reason my broken fridge is so bad bad bad, losing all my fresh veggies....anyway, so then I asked her. She is 5 feet tall and about 125....size 4-6. I said I don't mean to pry, but alot of people think that thin is thin is thin, that if your born with it you just are.......she corrected me quickly....and I got some great insight from a tiny girl.

She said she works out at least 3 times a week, her meat is never bigger then the palm of her hand, she doubles that in veggies, and has a huge salad.....she stays away from cookies, but if she is gonna have them she has 2 and that is that. When she goes out to eat, she orders wisely, but when she does that sigh we all do, which says.....your full (I have been known to keep going) she asks for a box to take it home. She admits to being a snacker while she reads....so she has a cup of popcorn and she drinks alot of water. She said that she does eat what she wants, but definately in moderation...she does not have chips in the house, because those are her downfall......she choses wise snacks when going to parties....hits the veggie platter alot more then the fatty platter.

She has never had a weight issue, meaning to say she has never been more then 15 pounds over what she is now and that was pregnant. But she knows the potential as she see's it in 5 pounds. She told me, although it may seem easy when you are thin, it is not. We have to be just a deligent about what we put in our mouth as someone trying to lose weight. She admits that when she was a teenager she didn't.....but she is not a teenager anymore.

So thats it, I thought it was interesting to ask someone outside my group. And great to hear, she has to do exactly what we have to.....confirming, this is an ENTIRE life change, NOT just a crash diet.

56259.png
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Interesting.... GOOD TO KNOW for sure!! Thanks! :smile:

BUT, the real reason for me posting is.... I LOVE YOUR NEW PICTURE!!! YOU LOOK SO F'IN HOT!!! :wink: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • sassiebritches
    Interesting.... GOOD TO KNOW for sure!! Thanks! :smile:

BUT, the real reason for me posting is.... I LOVE YOUR NEW PICTURE!!! YOU LOOK SO F'IN HOT!!! :wink: :drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Why thank you :blushing:

56259.png
  • That's always kind of reassuring to hear. :) I know I for one sometimes get caught thinking, "Why do I have to do this...it's not fairrrrrrr...normal (aka, thin) people don't have to do this!" So it's always a good reminder that, yeah, actually, most of them do.
  • mamashrub
    mamashrub Posts: 128
    yeah I totally have to agree, I saw your pic amd thought..whoa..who's she? She's reeeeallly pretty.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Thanks for sharing the refreshing dose of reality. This is exactly what the book "The Secrets of Skinny Chicks" shows you... being thin and fit is *not* natural (usually), it comes from hard work, disclipline, and dedication, like everything else.
  • anna441
    anna441 Posts: 253 Member
    Thanks for the insight
  • sassiebritches
    yeah I totally have to agree, I saw your pic amd thought..whoa..who's she? She's reeeeallly pretty.

Thanks for saying so....

not good at getting compliments......but don't wanna be rude. :ohwell:

56259.png
  • jhollyw00d
    jhollyw00d Posts: 68 Member
    I could not agree with you more.

I have a friend who I have known my ENTIRE LIFE. She's always been pretty thin, and told me that she "chunked up" right before she got engaged (aka put on 15 pounds and weighed in at a whopping 125, just 5 pounds over my goal weight, a weight I haven't seen in YEARS lol). When I saw her last (about 2 months after her engagement), she was thin and svelt, and I just HAD to know how she did it.

Her answer:

"I don't eat breakfast, just have a cup of coffee. For lunch I have a Fage 0% yogurt with a teaspoon of sugar free maple syrup. For dinner I have a piece of chicken and a salad or a piece of fish and a vegetable. I go to the gym 5 days a week, I do 30 minutes of cardio 3 days a week and 30 minutes of weight training 2 days a week."

My reply:

"WTF?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!"

Ok, first of all, besides how UNHEALTHY she is being, how does her stomach not eat itself out of hunger????? I couldn't believe it. Now I tease her every day and ask her what she had for lunch. "A twig and a piece of lettuce?" I quip. But it's really not that funny.

I tried to keep up with this diet for about 1 day. I was so hungry, my co-workers couldn't concentrate at the task at hand over the sound of my grumbling belly. On top of it, when I tried to even mimic it SOMEWHAT closely (a protein shake for breakfast, no solid food until after 1, then only a salad for lunch, protein and veggie for dinner) I started GAINING weight.

It's difficult not to want to follow the "Thin Girl Myth" until you've shriveled away to nothing as many of these thin girls have. But you always have to take into consideration your own body type, and the fact that once that thin girl puts a cookie into her mouth, she's going to blow up to the size of a Good Year blimp.

Put down the Slim Fast and back slowly away. A healthier lifestyle awaits you.

:heart:
  • caddac1
    caddac1 Posts: 6 Member
    That is so depressing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    Thanks, Sassie. And you are always hawt:flowerforyou:
  • jhollyw00d
    I know, I feel really bad for her! Imagine that's all you eat in a whole day??????? EVERY DAY??!?! I couldn't do it. I love my salt and sweet and yummy stuff way too much. lol:tongue:
  • jhollyw00d
    I know, I feel really bad for her! Imagine that's all you eat in a whole day??????? EVERY DAY??!?! I couldn't do it. I love my salt and sweet and yummy stuff way too much. lol:tongue:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    thanks sexy sassy! :love: appreicate you taking the time to post this.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Yep, I have a very thin friend, and if you hang with her a day you would know why. She never sits and eats all of anything. She may get a plate with a sandwich, chips and a brownie, and she will only eat a bite or two of each thing.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    I like the meat size (palm) and double it in veggies idea. That's simple and smart. Although, I never want to be a thin girl. ha ha

Thanks for sharing.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Yeah, guys need to "watch their figure" too... thanks for the reminder tweber!! :smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I like the meat size (palm) and double it in veggies idea. That's simple and smart.
    :drinker: Yep, I do too...great visual when fixing it at home or out with friends.

Thanks Britches:flowerforyou: :smooched:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member

56259.png

Lovin this....right from the horse's mouth so to speak.... always a good reminder that most healthy folks have to work at it, they aren't small because they eat GS by the boxful or chips or whatever else folks on here share on threads.

Thanks for sharing something from the real world here Britches:tongue::flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
This discussion has been closed.