Fitbit vs. HRM?

Options
Hello everyone :)

I want to buy something to be able to track my daily exercise and have been considering both Heart Rate Monitors (I really like the Polar models) and a Fitbit Ultra. Does anyone here have either of these devices? If you've tried both, which would you recommend? I just want some input on how well these devices have worked for you and if they actually do what they are advertised to do.

Thanks!

Replies

• 2raj
    2raj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is good to wear all the time. HRMs are good to not only track workouts where you will be doing cardio work, but also try to target and maintain certain heart rate range (zone).

A HRM would be fairly useless for tracking your walking, where your heart rate would probably remain in zone 1, unless youa re doing speed walking. But it would be great for tracking your running and cycling workouts where you'd be targeting a particular heart rate zone and trying to maintain it.

I use both, though not the Polar gear as they use their priority components. I use the Garmin gear as they use the ANT+ standard.

I wear Fitbit all the time and use my Garmin Edge 500 with HRM for my cycling workouts.

Hope it helps.
  • andi_isit303
    Options
    He said it. But i'll put in my $0.02 as well.

I bought a BodyBugg a few months ago (5-6 months?) ... it was really cool at first, but then... MEH.
    it didn't really give me an accurate calorie reading when I was running for some reason, not sure why. I had to wear it around my thigh which was just awkward.
    But a BodyBugg/FitBit would be great if you're dedicated and want to wear it all day. For me, personally, I do the same thing at work everyday. My calorie burn isn't going to vary... unless I work out... and in my case, it wasn't giving me a good read-out for my workouts!!!

I just bought a Polar F6 HRM, and I *LOVE* it. I've used it 3x, and I am absolutely in love. It works for what I want (doing workouts, both cardio and a weight/cardio mix) and tracks calories and zones. I only wear it while working out, so, it does NOT track your steps.

It's really up to you and what you want to get out of it.

But on a side note, if you're looking for a used BodyBugg... I have one :)