Half marathon in August?

Options
Do you think it's a realistic goal for a current non runner? There's a half marathon in Vancouver which I would love to be able to do. Am I completely off my rocker?

Replies

• getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes plenty of time
    Google half marathon training and you will find a bunch of sites

Hal Gideon is good
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Most half marathon training programs are about 4 months long, but they also assume that you have a good running base. If you do decide to do it, be careful with how quickly you increase your mileage - you don't want to injure yourself. Check out the running room website. If you are near a store, they offer clinics and free practice runs. John Stanton's book is also a really good investment.
  • steph5565
    Options
    Hal Gideon is good

I think she meant "Hal Higdon" - his stuff is great and he creates a day by day plan, he even has step by step info for total novice runners.

Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think that is a pretty big ask if you haven't done any running before. It's not to say that it isn't possible but you will be really pushing your body and running the risk of injuries if you aren't really careful.

I started running this time last year and comfortably ran a 12k (7.5 mile) race in August. I'm now training for a half marathon in 4 weeks time and I'm finding the last few weeks of training are hard - the runs are longer and much more frequent and it is really tiring, and something always hurts. I don't think I would have been ready to cope with this intensity back in August.

But, everyone is different, there would be no harm in starting a training program (find one that is for absolute beginners) and see how you go. Don't be afraid to keep your speed really slow, and stop if you feel pain - you can't afford an injury!

Good luck :smile:
  • AmyG17
    AmyG17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For sure!! Start slow and then try to add a half a mile every week on your long run days :) It's more of a mind game then anything else. You so can do this!!

Good luck!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That's 8 months away. I trained for a full marathon in just 4 months and I hadn't been running in years. I wasn't very fast, but I made it all the way through. You can do this no problem. :drinker:
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Iv only ben running 5 months, and my first 13.1 is in March; which is about the same time frame. you can do... the right shoes, mind set and dedication, and you will achieve it! :) And enjoy the journey, im loving it!
  • whoosh1
    whoosh1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lululemon half marathon by any chance? :smile: I want to travel to participate in that one!!

And yes, it is doable by August. There are a lot of great training plans out there and if you are close to a Running Room they have great programs.
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    Wow, I'm impressed. I'm aiming for a 5K in August (also a complete non-runner).
    Good luck!
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lululemon half marathon by any chance? :smile: I want to travel to participate in that one!!

And yes, it is doable by August. There are a lot of great training plans out there and if you are close to a Running Room they have great programs.

Bingo! Yes, it's the Lululemon 1/2 :)
  • KrisBellGA
    Options
    A friend and I agreed to run our first half marathon in November. I found a training app on my phone (run training pro) that starts off with really short runs (1 min run, 2 min walk the first week) and gets you up to a 1/2 marathon in 6 months. I'm only on week 2, but so far it pushes me more than I could push myself. I'm very un-fit, so I'm really trying to start slow, progress gradually, and not get injured! I definitely think you can do it by August.
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon in 2006 when I weighed 240 lbs. I did the C2K program then did a hal higdeon program. Since my first half, I've done a half marathon every year. I would say start really slow and if you feel pain, back off. I thought I had to do my program exactly as it said and ended up with a ITB injury that took FOREVER to heal. So just go slow. You have lots of time.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    How about walking the half marathon? I am not a runner but walk everyday for exercise. I participated in a half marathon last October and have another one early next month. I went from no activity what so ever in July 2010 to walking 13 miles in October 2011.

You can do this. Start with short distances. Walk everyday, even just one block to start.

Good luck!