veggies, salads, etc

Options
bslic
bslic Posts: 245 Member
what are your favorite ways to get plenty of veggies in every day? I'm in a bit of a rut and would really like to (and need to) add more to my meals. Salad ideas and veggie sides would be great!!!

Replies

• amanda_lessofme
    amanda_lessofme Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I always eat a huge salad at lunch. I make a "salad box" every week, and I try to include a different variety of veggies each week so I don't get bored. And, I vary the protein weekly too. The "salad box" is a large tray in my fridge filled with little boxes of veggies I've already washed and chopped. Got the idea from here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NUwm_gv0l7U

And, for dinner I plan on always eating at least two veggies--one dark green and leafy and the other whatever I'd like. My husband is Asian, so I mostly stir-fry my veggies. It's quick and easy and tastes great. I usually stir-fry with either ginger or garlic and sometimes both. I also really love to steam veggies (carrots, broccoli) in our rice-cooker while I prepare the protein, and then toss with a bit of melted garlic butter.

For me, the best veggies are the ones I don't need a recipe to prep. The less complicated, the better.
  • crashs
    crashs Posts: 4
    Options
    I've started adding Craisins to mine. Kinda started to get into a rut but needed to get more veggies in as well. Enjoy!
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like filling a salad up with baby spinach leaves- it tastes better than lettuce! :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I usually add corn on the cob as it takes longer to eat, broccoli or Greek salad with cucumber, tomato, red onion, and a bit of feta. You can add olives too if you like them.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have a big salad every day for lunch. For breakfast every day, I do a fruit smoothie and if I have some fresh spinach, I add it to the smoothie. You can't taste it, though it makes the smoothie a horrible color. LOL. Between breakfast, lunch and my morning snack (an orange or an apple), I get my fruits and veggies in for the day.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    lettuce is useless so buy baby spinach leaves and or spring greens.i havent used salad dressing in two years and eat my salad as is and have learned to enjoy the flavor and texture of the salad. keep in mind most of us find salads boring so it is not necessary to eat salad to lose weight. i eat broccoli alot. i buy the frozen broccoli and leave it thaw and just warm it up slightly . i dont like broccoli to be mushy. i also like acorn squash with cinnamon on it. i eat alot of beans too but not from the can due to the salt so i make dried beans .. tomatoes are always a plus and very good for you.
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    Try roasting veggies. I can get myself to eat almost any veggie if it's roasted. Although, I do love almost all veggies and fruits (even brussel sprouts) I don't like tomatoes or onions.

You can really roast any type of veggie. I say roast, but I basically mean bake it in the oven. Fresh Broccoli is AMAZING when you chop it up, add about a tablespoon of olive oil (maybe 2 tablespoons depending on the amount) add pepper, a little bit of salt (skip this if watching sodium), a bit of onion powder and a large amount of garlic powder. That's how I like to do it!
  • Lissa_1234
    Options
    Also, this website offers a ton of great recipes!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/