Triyng ot cut the caffeine...advice needed

Options
ccbing
ccbing Posts: 162 Member
So I'm trying to be good in the caffeine department. Is some caffeine really that bad? I don't drink coffee...never have. I usually have about 12 oz of soda w/caffeine each day. My plan is to keep the fridge at work stocked with those little 7 oz Cokes and try to just dink one of those a day. I can't go total diet soda right off the bat.....I may never be able to drink a total diet soda. Anyway...went without caffeine yesterday and started to get a headache...had to take an Excedrine Migraine tablet. Oh--even the tea I drink has always been caffeine free....so again....Should we do away with ALL caffeine?

Replies

• mum0f2boys
    mum0f2boys Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I had the same problem when I changed to decaf tea, start by just having 1 caffeine free for a few days the rest regular then up it to 2 and let your body settle a few days. It may take a few weeks before you can completely switch. Not medical info just personal experience.

http://kcossaboon.hubpages.com/hub/Caffeinegoodorbadforyourhealth
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I made the switch to decaf coffee when I was pregnant with my last son 3 years ago. It was easier then for sure! I find that if I drink caffeine in the mornings now, I'm a jittery mess! Have you tried the caffeine free cokes/pepsis?
  • Colleen268
    Colleen268 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have 3 little boys and work, and I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!! I started gradually and started making half caffienated. I also bought caffeine free soda. If you do it cold turkey, you will get withdrawal headaches, and than find yourself in the closet with some Starbucks chugging the pain away ;0)
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Go de-caf
    I have been de-caf for 3 yrs
  • goodix_lady
    Options
    You poor thing! the only way I found to get over it is choose a week where you don't have to go anywhere and do it cold turkey.
    Drink only green tea, as much as you want and a cup of water every hour. Starting Friday lunch time, eat only raw or unprocessed food - no canned, or packaged stuff. Chose the foods you like. Fish is better than meat as well. Plenty of fruit and veg. Include potatoes and kumara.

Whenever you get a headache, take a shower and go lie down. It will pass but may take two days.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have caffeine as well.

Everytime I give up caffeine I have a headache for a couple of days but then it goes away and life is much better. They do have caffeine free coke, if that helps.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...and man...how many typos did I have! That always happends when I type first thing in the morning. lol. I'm just trying to cut the caffeine in half for now. Like I said...I don't drink a ton of it now so hopefully it won't be as bad as I think it's going to be. I do suffer with the occasional migraine, so I will see how the whole no caffeine thing may affect that. :smile:
  • breakropes
    Options
    have your caffeine intake before 2pm. Do NOT have any after than. if you keep hydrated (plenty of water, always keep a bottle on you and when sat down by tv, office, on train, on way home have it in your hand and finish it). if you keep very wel hydrated you shouldn't need caffeine to give you energy. Research has shown that stopping caffeine intake at 2pm or earlier is best fro sleep patterns and general health.

furthermore, try taking between 25g to 40g maximum per day preferably for breakfast 75% or more dark chocolate. make sure its a good quality as it is a good investment. I like 85% dark and i spend £3.89 on 100g which lasts me 4 days (and isnt that expenisve for 100g) as i take 25g for breakfast with my favourite coffe or tea (usually coffee). Dark chocolate (must be good quality 75% or more) has been shown in research to release the same chemicals as sex does (strange i know). Phenylethylamine which also helps with the release of dopamine, gives you energy and confidence. It's not a miracle, and not a replacememnt for sex as quantities released by chocolate are incomparable to sex but a good quanitity each day instead of those useless, rubbish drinks or even those cheap calorific milk chocolates is a tad better.

hope it all made sense

all the best :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Went totally caffeine free a few years ago. Quit cold turkey. No headaches, but my entire body ached for 2 days, then I was fine.
    I'm not a soda drinker at all, coffee was my drug of choice - LOVE IT!!

Occaisionally, I will have a decaf, but for the most part I drink water or a coffee like substance called Caf Lib.