Panicking about loose/hanging skin

Options
Ah! So, just as everything is going wonderfully I've reached a point where my brain has decided to taunt me, "Yeah you're losing weight, very good, what use is slimming to a size 8 if you look like you've melted?"
Does anyone have any hints/tips to stop/correct the hanging skin as I lose weight, I wouldn't want to go down the surgery route.

Replies

• odettesok
    Options
    I dont know of any ideas, but I would be interested!
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slowly so that your skin has a chance to adjust. I don't know your age but the younger you are the more resilient your skin is. As we get older, the skin loses some of its resiliency. The older we are the slower we need to lose so that we don't have extra sagging skin.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    lose it slowly.
    if you're not already doing strength training start.. also pilates and yoga helps strengthen core and lift saggy bits up.
    exfoliate & moisturize

but most importantly, stop worrying about it. Get your body healthy and give your skin time to recover years of damage.

I have some ripply sag but it's merely a reminder of how far I've come.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters... lose it slow or else!!

I use cocoa butter.. by the ton. Who knows it is an old wives tale, but I will use it none the less.
    Strength training, cardio and yoga will help to build muscle (to fill out the skin), lose fat and build long, lean muscles.

Don't be scared of the unknown!!!

Just do it :bigsmile:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I found that yoga was excellent at building muscle mass and tightening a lot of loose skin I had in my arms/thighs/abdomen. Everyone else is right too... lose it slowly! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Ah! So, just as everything is going wonderfully I've reached a point where my brain has decided to taunt me, "Yeah you're losing weight, very good, what use is slimming to a size 8 if you look like you've melted?"
    Does anyone have any hints/tips to stop/correct the hanging skin as I lose weight, I wouldn't want to go down the surgery route.
    Unfortunately if the result of losing weight is loose skin, then unless it retracts on it's own in a few months, surgery would be the only route.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    i found this website very very helpful because i have the same worry especially because i had a csection when i had my baby so i already have some loose skin , i hope you find it as helpful as i did

http://allwomenstalk.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Been there, have that. Unfortunately lose skin is the downside of losing a lot of weight. Getting rid of it, without surgery, is a factor of age, how long you carried the weight originally, how much you lose and how fast. I've lost 170 lbs and have (according to my doctor) 10-15 lbs of excess skin in my arms, thighs, belly (the most visible) and butt. I was lucky, I don't have the "turkey neck". Strength exercises to build muscle with help, also keeping your skin moisturized helps with appearance. I choose NOT to have surgery. Too expensive, insurance won't cover it and I've seem some real messes as a result.

I'll NEVER wear a bikini or expose my mid-drift (too much drift). I've gotten comfortable with with my arms and legs so shorts and tee shirts are OK. Tanks tops or strapless make me uncomfortable but I do "low cut" or off the shoulder well. I do use spanks and flexies when I want to smooth out the skin, They have some excellent products that are comfortable and affordable.

Good luck!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about it! I have it- but it doesn't ruin my life. I am SO SO SO much happier and healthier after losing 133 lbs- I would take lose skin over my previous state any day. Strength training and exercise has helped my skin not be terrible. I did lose weight at a good rate- I have been on this journey since 2010....maintaining for the past 6 months (re starting and hoping to lose 25 more lbs now).......and I still have the loose skin. It gets better each day. :) Just go for it- don't stall because you are afraid!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well, I hate to tell you this, but there is no solution. I've lost 90 lbs and there is loose skin. But its a LOT better than fat, and much easier to hide.

If you google some pics you can maybe see what to expect. I've seen lots of pictures and mine isn't nearly as bad as many that I've seen. I've managed to keep my arms looking great by weight lifting from day one and not stopping - I don't have that issue. Thighs and stomach are a whole 'nother story, but I don't plan to have plastic surgery either.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I will be 32 in 9 days, hopefully still young enough for some of it to shrink with me :ohwell: We'll just have to see how it goes :happy:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I lost it fairly slowly and I don't have any loose skin. I still have some to lose, but so far, after 100 pounds, everything is ok. I would worry about getting the weight off and then see what happens.
  • Kelico528
    Options
    Good luck! I'm worried about this too. I don't have much to lose now, but I'm thinking (hypothetically) if my husband and I have children, what then!? Definitely going to check out that website when I get home :-)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You know, I actually get the "how did you avoid bat wings/loose skin" question a lot.
    To be perfectly honest, I was lucky. Genetics plays a pretty big role in it, but the biggest things you can do to reduce/eliminate the chances of excess skin are:
    1) Drink lots of water (think of filling a regular balloon and a water balloon - if you empty them both, which goes back to closer to its original size? The one with moisture in it)
    2) Moisturize - sort of the same as above.
    3) Exercise - that means cardio AND strength (yes, that does mean some lifting - learn to like it - and no, you won't get big manly muscles from it).

Other than that, just hope for the best and be patient - skin can take a couple of years to "bounce back" after weight loss (I'm hoping that will happen with my lower tummy, which is the only place I have noticeable loose skin).
  • SouthernBeauty89
    Options
    Lose slowly & have at least 2-3 days outta the week where you are doing some type of yoga, or pilates, or any strength training.

(Source of info)
    My Dad who is Active Duty Army & excelled at Master Fitness. He knows his stuff to say the least. :) Hope that helps some.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you lose it slow, you shouldn't have that much of an issue.
    When you see people on TV that have had gastric bypass or lost weight extremely fast, they will usually have excess skin.
    Your skin is elastic, it just needs time to adjust.
    :)
  • Nana2527
    Nana2527 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    very helpful website, thanks!
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump