5'8 Goals?

Options

Replies

• mizliz1981
    Options
    I'm 5'7 almost 5'8 and the smallest I ever was 135 and that is as small as I would ever want to be again. I was pretty muscular fit then so I think that plays a huge role in it also.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what any other ladies goals are at 5'8? I'm currently 133 as of this morning but am still not happy and am aiming down towards 120-125 but I don't know if that would be too small for me. I started at 220+. Just curious as to where you all are/aiming!

instead of trying to lose more weight, try eating maintenance and start lifting heavy weights. most likely it is body composition, not measurements that you have an issue with. If after a few months you think you need to lose more, set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and stick with that while lifting weights and you should be able to reach your goal in a slow controlled manner.

I think while you were losing weight you probably lost a lot of muscle, this happens due to a few reasons: not enough protein, too large of a deficit given how much you had to lose, not doing any or enough strength training. If you are in a caloric deficit and do not push yourself with strength training (does not need to be weights) you will lose muscle along with fat. If you get enough protein, lift heavy weights and have a modest caloric deficit, of the weight you lose most will be fat, which means at your goal weight you will have a lower BF%.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and anything below 135 would make me look terribly thin. I have shape and want to keep it that way. Focus on strength training and maintaining.
  • crastatter86
    crastatter86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Being 5'8" it seems like everyone I know is under 5'6" and it's hard to determine what a healthy guide is for taller girls! My goal is 135-140 for my body type (I am at 194 right now eek!) But I am like you and started at a higher weight (220). I would say since your BMI is right at the healthy range, maybe try toning instead to firm up rather than "lose weight". It all really depends on your body type, my whole family has wide hips that I know I am not going to be able to escape from, BUT I am going to do my best to slim down and tone up. Good luck to you!
  • erickirb
    Options
    125-130 lbs but I do want to tone up at the same time so whatever weight I'll be then. I'm also 5' 8.

Then again, I want to get into sports coaching or personal training so really more focused on toning and getting my body fat % below 10.

10% BF% is low for a man, and extremely low for a woman. Women have need fat for a variety of reasons and the essential fat needed ranges from 10-12%, so going below 10% is unhealthy for a woman.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    180. We'll see how I look once I get there. At 210 now and 2 sizes away from my original goal dress size. :-)
  • erickirb
    Options
    Well, I am only one inch shorter and am 112lb and that makes me look too skinny... so I reckon at 5'8", a good size would be 120lb.

112 at 5'7 is underweight as would 120 at 5'8"
  • erickirb
    Options
    Being 5'8" it seems like everyone I know is under 5'6" and it's hard to determine what a healthy guide is for taller girls! My goal is 135-140 for my body type (I am at 194 right now eek!) But I am like you and started at a higher weight (220). I would say since your BMI is right at the healthy range, maybe try toning instead to firm up rather than "lose weight". It all really depends on your body type, my whole family has wide hips that I know I am not going to be able to escape from, BUT I am going to do my best to slim down and tone up. Good luck to you!

A quick rule of thumb for "ideal" weight is to take 100 lbs at 5' and add 5lbs for every inch. so at 5'8 that would be 140lbs (100+5*8), this is for medium frame, if you are large frame or carry a lot of muscle, add 10% to 154 (140*1.1) if you are small frame take away 10% to 126 (140*.9).
  • charlotte3176
    charlotte3176 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My first goal is 155 and I will see where I am from there. I'm not opposed to going lower, but I know I will need to do a lot of work in my problem areas. I am an apple, so I hold a lot of weight in my midsection. :(
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7.5" and I can't go less than 147 or I look too thin. I am a woman's 6 in slacks and some 8's and 10 jeans (US size) right now and at 156.6lbs. I have put on more muscle mass than I had before this last baby, so I am not sure I will even get back down to 147lbs. Shooting for 150lbs with more lean muscle mass.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm at 140 now and in a comfortable size 12. I can wear size 10 jeans (US sizes) but since I've never been fond of tighter clothing, I'm not QUITE comfortable in them. (They're not tight to the point where they cut off my circulation or anything, they're just not baggy.)

I don't care about the number on the scale anymore at this point - I'm not looking to lose more weight - but I'd like to tone a bit more.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh, regarding the thicker legs, have you tried jogging? Sometimes certain cardio exercises can build where we woman with thicker bottom halfs would prefer not...step class and the stair master are not our friends. I learned that a few years ago when my legs were just thick even though I was working out hard and eating right. I was doing 3 or so step classes a week and the step machine. I stopped that and started jogging and ended up in size 4 pants, my legs leaned right out....
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what any other ladies goals are at 5'8? I'm currently 133 as of this morning but am still not happy and am aiming down towards 120-125 but I don't know if that would be too small for me. I started at 220+. Just curious as to where you all are/aiming!

instead of trying to lose more weight, try eating maintenance and start lifting heavy weights. most likely it is body composition, not measurements that you have an issue with. If after a few months you think you need to lose more, set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and stick with that while lifting weights and you should be able to reach your goal in a slow controlled manner.

I think while you were losing weight you probably lost a lot of muscle, this happens due to a few reasons: not enough protein, too large of a deficit given how much you had to lose, not doing any or enough strength training. If you are in a caloric deficit and do not push yourself with strength training (does not need to be weights) you will lose muscle along with fat. If you get enough protein, lift heavy weights and have a modest caloric deficit, of the weight you lose most will be fat, which means at your goal weight you will have a lower BF%.

I do strength training 3x a week with focus on different areas each day (leg day, arm day etc) the issue I think I'm having since becoming veggie is protein and upping my calories enough. My diary has been abysmally low the past 3/4 days because of flu meaning zero appetite but usually I stick around the 1400 mark, do you think that is too large a calorie deficit?

And thank you for the replies guys! I think I may focus more on decreasing BF% rather than getting below 126!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i've been all over the 'healthy' BMI spectrum

DSCF0064-1-1.jpg

I have a small frame, but I am a college athlete, so I like to think I have more muscle mass than average, but perhaps not.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and my goal is 170 (my college weight). I don't think I could or would want to be smaller than 150 personally...but I like my curves.
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My goal is 145 - 150. I have a medium frame and also tend towards muscular when I strength train, so I'm not sure I could get much lower, but we'll see when I get closer. I'm currently 167 and haven't been in the 150s for about 10 years so I've forgotten what it is like. I'm lucky in how I carry my weight as I'm already able to fit into size 8 (US) pants and M shirts at 167.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm 147 at the moment. About a year ago, before I put 2 and a half stone on, I was quite skinny and it used to really annoy me that people commented on it all the time - but I had quite a belly on me ("skinny fat"?) because I wasn't working out very much. I think my plan now is to get down to around 135 and assess where I am then. I am doing so much weight training now that I'm hoping I won't have to get down to my absolute target because some of the toning would already be done and I'd look slimmer at a slightly heavier weight.

I think I prefer measuring myself though than weighing on the scales, a 34-25-36 figure would be very nice for me, but I have very wide hip bones so I'm not sure that any plans for smaller hips will actually work, no matter how much fat I get rid of there :)

Very interesting thread!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    That sounds low in my opinion but if you're small-boned then I guess it might work. I'm aiming for 150.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    154 and possibly down to 147 depending on how I look and feel.
  • heleno11
    Options
    Well done! What an achievement.
    H xx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!