wanting to get into running any advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above, and also wish I'd read John Bingham's beginners books for motivation and reassurance before I'd started too :-) Enjoy!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill. It's so hard at first but what a high I got afterwards! It gives me a burst of energy that last for hours afterwards...I highly recommend it. Stop for a rest when you need to, don't overwork yourself, and ALWAYS have water with you. I don't run with a partner who talks too much....you don't breathe properly!

Music is everything. I found I ran longer and had more drive with some good pumping beats. If you don't have an ipod or an mp3 player, get one! If you need suggestions for good songs to get you moving, I'd be happy to give you a list :)

Be careful....warm up! walk for 5 mins or more, do a good stretch, you don't want to ruin your regime with an injury! GOOD LUCK. And don't compare yourself to what anyone else can do!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Get a good pair of running shoes, preferably by going to a running store and being fitted for the right shoes for you. There is a reason that everyone says to do this, because it makes all the difference in your running and keeping you injury free. I learned the hard way! No one else should have to! Then start the C25K program, and be consistent! Good luck to you!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to running. Approach it right and you'll love it and it will love you back :flowerforyou:

I put all my beginner's tips together in my blog post "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started":
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

I'd draw your attention to number 1:
    1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

And yes, decent running shoes are essential, but when you start out you'll only be running for a minute or two at a time. If you have supportive cross-training shoes for example, you'll be fine until you're ready to commit. After that, properly fitting running shoes make the world of difference!

Running on the spot as you do with the Wii is a great start for your aerobic base, but does not mimic the forward thrust of running, so get outside as soon as you can. You'll also find running on the treadmill isn't the same as running outside but it's a greta addition to your routine, especially if the weather's rubbish.

Good luck, feel free to add me as a friend if you want and do come back and let us know how you get on :flowerforyou:
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Agree with the posters who mentioned Nike+. If you can afford it, definitely get the GPS watch and try focus on running outside. Running outside is much more fun than indoors. I realize it's not the best time of the year, but if you dress for the weather it's actually not bad.

I'd definitely recomend doing intervals when you first start running. So walk, run, walk, run, etc. Then as you get better endurance, you vary your workout with different types of runs. So long jogs on some days, then intervals of running and jogging on others. The last thing you want to do is to do the exact same slow steady state jog every time you exercise. Otherwise you'll platuea too fast. So use either Nike+ or some other method of tracking your runs to make sure you keep progressing.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions.
    - Get running shoes fitted - bad shoes can cause injuries.
    - Always warm up nice and easy, and be sure to do a some stretching when warm. Stretching cold tissues can cause injuries.
    - Do some strength training for a few weeks before you start. IE: Tri-squats, mountain climbers, stair steppers or the machines at the gym.
    - If you use a treadmill, be aware the high inclines can cause plantar fasciitis in some people. Trust me you don't want this. Keep the inclines to 8 or less for longer runs.
    - If you run outside, try to use a track, at a local school, your joints will thank you.
    - Be careful to walk any steep down hills.
    - Try a program like Couch to 5K. It use walking and running.

I am sure there are some who do none of this and get away with it, but why take the chance? Running can be a blast, and there are races at every level and distance.

Have fun, running is my addiction!
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    once you start running - be consistent.. and you will learn to love it!!!

i used to HATE running, now I am wanting to sign up for my first half marathon this year :):):)

start at a slow pace if you are looking for longer distance or if you are too sore.. but warning - you will become obsessed!! LOL ;)

Sara could not have said it better. I went from hating the thought of running to running 26 miles a day and now I am trying to get back into running (right now I am very put off by the cold its 10 F outside right now and windy too)

Find a road runner store or other running store I had the best of luck with RR good shows and appropriate cloths.
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add to what others have written is that if you are very heavy and older (I'm 45) be really careful to stretch and not overdo it.

I stretched and was "good" (ran 3X per week) and now I'm nursing a deep glute/hamstring injury even though I was careful. I had excellent shoes that I got fitted for. I can't really run now and I'm bored silly with my exercises. Maybe talk to your doctor?

Best!

Debbie
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    1. Good Pair of Running Shoes properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. They are the third most important piece of equipment after your feet and brain.

2. Listen to your body. If you aren't used to running, the urge to go as far as you can, as fast as you can, can and usually does lead to injuries.

3. Most people should follow the 10% rule... never exceed the previous weeks running by more than 10% (especially on longer runs). Build gradually, Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was marathon distance running. Keep in mind, according to mythology the first Greek who ran to Marathon dropped dead on arrival. Don't be that guy!

4. Take a program or running clinic. They will guide you to what are reasonable distances and what to expect. Running Clinics are wonderful opportunities to learn about the sport and run with other people of similar experience levels. The offer you a coached experience. It is also fun to run in a group. You can find the programs online or at your local running stores (I coach for the Running Room)

5. Find a running buddy will help keep you motivated.

6. Sign up for an event and train for it. Most people start by signing up for a 5K about 10 weeks out. Again, keeps you focused and the feeling of success when you cross the finish line is fantastic. Start with a 5K, build to a 10K, then a Half, and Full and eventually Ultra (my goal for this year).

7. There is an old adage that you can't teach speed. Don't be discouraged by your pace, work on endurance first. Speed comes much later. I have people in my clinics who run 8 minute miles, and I have people who run 15 minute miles. They are all fabulous and dedicated runners. I teach people that we are all as different as our feet, I couldn't run a mile in your shoes, and you'd trip all over the place in mine ( unless you wear a size 12 double E width :laugh:

8. Treat every run as a learning experience. Did you have a great run today? Or was it a supremely crappy one? Why was that? What went wrong? Not every run is going to be an awesome run, and not all of them bad. Try to find the positives and build from them.

Probably many more things I could add. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have questions or need advice.

Good luck and be safe!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add to what others have written is that if you are very heavy and older (I'm 45) be really careful to stretch and not overdo it.

I stretched and was "good" (ran 3X per week) and now I'm nursing a deep glute/hamstring injury even though I was careful. I had excellent shoes that I got fitted for. I can't really run now and I'm bored silly with my exercises. Maybe talk to your doctor?

Best!

Debbie

Totally True! at least 15 minutes, up to 30 stretching after each run as standard! You do not need to stretch before running (this can cause injury because you are not warm... Always warm up (slow pace or specific exercises) then run, then stretch.
  • mrkp
    mrkp Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Totally True! at least 15 minutes, up to 30 stretching after each run as standard! You do not need to stretch before running (this can cause injury because you are not warm... Always warm up (slow pace or specific exercises) then run, then stretch.

Never really though about it like that before - which sounds really stupid, but good advice is usually the simplest.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Good shoes (get a gait analysis if you have a shoe store in your area that offers it), Couch to 5k will force you to pace yourself which is good, stretch before and after to prevent injury.

If you've never run much before, focus on TIME rather than distance/speed. If you try to go too far or too fast at first, it can be discouraging.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ^^^all these!
    the best running shops round here are sweatshop/sherunsheruns in meadowhall, up & running in sheffield, and sportshoes unlimited in Bradford. they will all watch you run on a treadmill and recommend a suitable shoe. the right shoes will make a huge difference and keep you injury free!

there are a lot of C25k programs out there which work well, or you can do what i did which is run for as long as you can (at a low speed - i do 7.5kmh / 13 min miles), walk for a bit, run for as long as you can and repeat! the first few times are really hard, but it gets easier! i did no exercise at all until mid October, I started with walking only, november i was doing 1-2 minute intervals with max 5 minutes running, have now gone from 7 to 30 mins continous running in the last month just by adding a bit longer each time.

inside or outside depends how much you like the cold!! i refuse to run outside when its cold, treadmill can be a bit boring but my ipod keeps me motivated, ill be moving outside in spring :) some people find treadmill running easier, some find outside easier, try both if possible and do whichever you like the best!
  • Kandace_Riopel
    Kandace_Riopel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, iPad or android. The irun app is PERFECT! It gradually gets you from walkin to running for 30 min over I think 6 weeks! I'm going to start come spring!
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for good shoes at a running store. Let them see how you run and suggest ones for your particular style. But them 1/2 size to 1 size larger so there is plenty of room for your toes to slide up. Best thing I ever did. Will keep you pain and injury free as you get into running. Also, pace yourself. I've been running for years, getting back into long distance after a 6 mo hiatus. Slow and steady. Enjoy!!!
  • natyshia
    natyshia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    what is a good pair of shoes to start running with? any suggestions on that? any favorates? Nike, Reebok, etc
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    what is a good pair of shoes to start running with? any suggestions on that? any favorates? Nike, Reebok, etc

Different shoes are best for different people. It all depends on your foot, how you run, etc. That's why it's important to go to a running store.

running form is very important. Since I've gone to minimalist shoes (I wear zero drop Altras) I've eliminated my knee pain that came with running.

If you have a Fleet Feet store, they have some really good training programs. (And their No boundaries video was filmed in my town with my running buds :-) )
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The best approach is not to start with a preconception of what brand is "best" and see what an independent running store recommends you. It's very seldom a "street" sportswear brand. I hadn't heard of Saucony, Mizuno, Asics or Brookes before I started running, but they are all brands I've been recommended and worn after a proper fitting :smile:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

it all depends on your foot shape and running style, everyone is different. Generally the main brands sold in sports stores like JJB (Nike / Reebok / Adidas / Puma etc) do not make 'proper' running shoes, you will not find many running stores that sell these brands. Running stores usually stock specific running brands like Asics, Saucony, Brooks, New Balance, Mizuno.
    i wear New Balance for general gym use with a bit of running, Brooks for running only. nike gave me terrible shin splints, a different model of Brooks gave me blisters. My husband wears Nike or Asics.

Runnersworld.co.uk is a great website for runners and has a huge beginners section :)
  • Tamstar74
    Options
    There is some great advice on Running bug website for beginners. I have bought myself a garmin watch off amazon which tracks what activity I have done and what calories I have burnt. It is a real morivator. I record it on runkeeper too.

I have found a good training plan on running bug which fits in with my 10k in March and it is a good starting pace too. Good Luck and message me if I can be of anymore help.

TAmmie