DO NOT READ IF YOU LIKE SKINNY COW

Options
Dave198lbs
Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
Skinny Cow has become a popular snack food recently. Skinny Cow is a nice sounding word combination. Most people want skinny and most people think cow milk products are healthy but are afraid of the fat content if part of a diet for weight-loss.

Skinny Cow is a great combination of words that promises the best of two worlds. Healthy milk and low fat. They claim 80 calories and 3 grams of fat per serving.

That in itself does not sound alarming but think about how small that serving is and how little genuine wholesome nutrition you are getting.

After all it is still a snack food and not a meal substitute.

If you’re on a weight-loss diet and trying to eat low calorie food but still thinking about snack food then you still have a fundamental problem with food.

A natural, between meals snack food would be something like an apple, some grapes, nuts, or dreid fruit. There is nothing healthy and dietetic about ice cream. It’s a dessert and it is something you have a treat. It’s not something you eat to satisfy your appetite.

We all have a taste for sweet foods, kids love sweet foods. We know that we have to limit the intake of them and know they are empty calories. And calories without nutrition are not conducive to keeping weight under control and being healthy.

You can fool your taste buds by using artificial sweeteners but that just reinforces the desire for sweet foods. Just like using salt, if you start cutting back you gradually feel less of it. If you start cutting back on the sweet foods you feel less need to keep eating them.

That’s the best way of committing yourself to eating less sweet food. In short order your body sugar level stabilizes so that you don’t need to keep feeding the sugar roller coaster.

Part of a good weight-loss regimen diet is to eat regularly to prevent hunger pangs and wholesome food to prevent blood sugar swings.

Healthy food is more satisfying, more slowly digested and reduces cravings that make sweet snacks so tempting. Forget about the latest fad in highly refined, chemically-laden, non-nutritious concoctions like Skinny Cow.
(found on internet.."is skinny cow healthy" was the search line)

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Options
    Skinny Cow has become a popular snack food recently. Skinny Cow is a nice sounding word combination. Most people want skinny and most people think cow milk products are healthy but are afraid of the fat content if part of a diet for weight-loss.

Skinny Cow is a great combination of words that promises the best of two worlds. Healthy milk and low fat. They claim 80 calories and 3 grams of fat per serving.

That in itself does not sound alarming but think about how small that serving is and how little genuine wholesome nutrition you are getting.

After all it is still a snack food and not a meal substitute.

If you’re on a weight-loss diet and trying to eat low calorie food but still thinking about snack food then you still have a fundamental problem with food.

A natural, between meals snack food would be something like an apple, some grapes, nuts, or dreid fruit. There is nothing healthy and dietetic about ice cream. It’s a dessert and it is something you have a treat. It’s not something you eat to satisfy your appetite.

We all have a taste for sweet foods, kids love sweet foods. We know that we have to limit the intake of them and know they are empty calories. And calories without nutrition are not conducive to keeping weight under control and being healthy.

You can fool your taste buds by using artificial sweeteners but that just reinforces the desire for sweet foods. Just like using salt, if you start cutting back you gradually feel less of it. If you start cutting back on the sweet foods you feel less need to keep eating them.

That’s the best way of committing yourself to eating less sweet food. In short order your body sugar level stabilizes so that you don’t need to keep feeding the sugar roller coaster.

Part of a good weight-loss regimen diet is to eat regularly to prevent hunger pangs and wholesome food to prevent blood sugar swings.

Healthy food is more satisfying, more slowly digested and reduces cravings that make sweet snacks so tempting. Forget about the latest fad in highly refined, chemically-laden, non-nutritious concoctions like Skinny Cow.
    (found on internet.."is skinny cow healthy" was the search line)
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about you and others, but I can eat 1 skinny cow cheese portion with a apple and a whole wheat slice of toast and I am good to go.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What would the world be like without useless, nutritionally crappy foods that are DELICIOUS??!

Your body isn't going to shut down if you have a Skinny Cow instead of an orange.

You will always have undulating levels of blood glucose in response to activity, your last meal, your stress level. Cutting out sucrose isn't going to change that. Putting into perspective - sucrose is a disaccharide made from glucose and fructose. It actually has less of an insulogenic effect than pure glucose. And fructose has very little insulogenic effect. A white potato containing polysaccharides in the form of starch will increase your blood glucose as much as an equal amount of table sugar. Fruits contain both fructose and glucose.

So, what's bad for you? Fruit? Potatoes? Sugar? Well, it's all the same stuff. :smile:

Just being the Devil's Advocate. :bigsmile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    1 skinny cow ice cream sandwich = the same amount of calories of 2 tiny girl scout cookies...plus I get dairy. My nighttime snack will still be a Skinny Cow! I don't suggest eating 3 for lunch, but everything in moderation!
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do eat skinny cow ice cream, If I have the calories. I know its not the best but the good thing is, that it has a small portion and the calories work.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow still has my vote....unless they can find a fruit that tastes like chocolate. :wink: Plus, the fudge bars are only 50 calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Skinny Cow still has my vote....unless they can find a fruit that tastes like chocolate. :wink: Plus, the fudge bars are only 50 calories.

you could take a piece of fruit and dip it in warmed dark chocolate and it would be healthier...but not as easy
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about you and others, but I can eat 1 skinny cow cheese portion with a apple and a whole wheat slice of toast and I am good to go.

Are you getting Skinny Cow and Laughing Cow confused?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I am often confused but I did not write the article..it was pulled directly off the net
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    LOL...with all the healthy eating and working out I do, I need this sin to feel sane. :wink: I love artificial sweetners too....guess I'm doomed. lol
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

you could take a piece of fruit and dip it in warmed dark chocolate and it would be healthier...but not as easy

I do the strawberry and drk chocolate together, when the very odd time I get a craving, and after two strawberries, i'm good. I've never bought a skinny cow, and don't plan on it, so I guess I don't know what i'm missing, but I think i'll be ok :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    LOL...with all the healthy eating and working out I do, I need this sin to feel sane. :wink:

yes...but your body wants to slap you...LOL
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options

I am often confused but I did not write the article..it was pulled directly off the net

:laugh:
    I was asking elliott.
    Skinny cow makes ice cream low calorie junk food. Laughing cow is a low-calorie cheese.

I agree with the article in spirit. As long as people realize that Skinny Cow is junk food, I'm ok with it. I think the problem is the marketing not the product.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I was asking elliott.
    Skinny cow makes ice cream low calorie junk food. Laughing cow is a low-calorie cheese.

I agree with the article in spirit. As long as people realize that Skinny Cow is junk food, I'm ok with it. I think the problem is the marketing not the product.

oops...my bad....too many cows I guess...laughing ones and skinny ones and me the confused one
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    What would the world be like without useless, nutritionally crappy foods that are DELICIOUS??!

Your body isn't going to shut down if you have a Skinny Cow instead of an orange.

You will always have undulating levels of blood glucose in response to activity, your last meal, your stress level. Cutting out sucrose isn't going to change that. Putting into perspective - sucrose is a disaccharide made from glucose and fructose. It actually has less of an insulogenic effect than pure glucose. And fructose has very little insulogenic effect. A white potato containing polysaccharides in the form of starch will increase your blood glucose as much as an equal amount of table sugar. Fruits contain both fructose and glucose.

So, what's bad for you? Fruit? Potatoes? Sugar? Well, it's all the same stuff. :smile:

Just being the Devil's Advocate. :bigsmile:

Bless you.:smile:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    LOL...with all the healthy eating and working out I do, I need this sin to feel sane. :wink:

yes...but your body wants to slap you...LOL

You may be right Dave198 but when you have pms and can only think of chocolate let us all know how you beat that craving. And after a running 38 miles a week, 1:20 of strength and additional cardio I think I can endulge in this sin. :wink:
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    Good post and I agree with what your saying. Companies prey on our weakness FOOD and use cleaver marketing to "suck" us in. We have to become educated consumers and read lables that claim "0" calories, fat, etc.; stay away from fad diets and learn to eat better for a longer healthier life.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, if we are going to have sweets ... better to have a somewhat lower calorie sweet than going out and eating half a chocolate cake, complete with chocolate icing and ice cream on the side. Everything in moderation. Personally for me, I KNOW I need something sweet after dinner. I've tried just fruit, but it just wasn't cutting it. I am proud of myself (and surprised) that I've been able to dwindle it down to healthier choices and smaller portions of sweets. I realize 100 calorie chocolate bars are the same thing as the normal versions only smaller -- but that's what it is all about: portion control and moderation. At first, a teeny tiny little 100 calorie chocolate bar seemed like it wouldn't be enough. But it's all I need and it's a smarter choice than a huge honking slice of chocolate cake.

I am ok with skinny cow. I understand the problem of having people think, "Oh look this is healthier/lower calorie/fat so I can eat 3 instead of just 1" ... but that's another issue and not what I'm talking about.

Saying goodbye and never touching empty calorie sweets ever again is NOT realistic for 99% of people. If you choose a slightly wiser choice like skinny cow vs. a slice of chocolate cake with icing, more power to you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Or you can say **** it, I worked out for 3 hours, and I am going to have a piece of real chocolate cake. :laugh:

Either way, everything's going to get digested.

The reality of it is that even though we eat a HUGE range of foods with protein/carbs/fats in so many different forms, they're only used in the body in certain forms. So everything is broken down into fatty acids, glucose, and amino acids. From there our body creates what it needs. While a piece of cake contains a lot more fat, protein, and carbs than a sandwich, it's not going to wreak havoc on your body just because it's 'cake'. There's no reason to stigmatize food. Even trans fats are found in nature, just in smaller amounts than we produce artificially.
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options

I was asking elliott.

oops...my bad....too many cows I guess...laughing ones and skinny ones and me the confused one

LMAO...I was also wondering about that because i :heart: laughing cow cheese and eat it alot.

I agree...everything in mooderation :flowerforyou: