lentil recipies

Options
I have a ton of lentils from the farmers market and I need some recipies. I have green, brown, yellow and red/ orange lentils. No one in my family has food allergies so bring the suggestions on.

Thank you!

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you like Indian cooking, start searching around for "dal" recipes. Manjulaskitchen.com and daawat.com are both good places to start.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Lentil shepard's pie: cook lentils in broth (I use chicken) with spices that you like. When tender drain them and add whatever spices you like to taste (or some pan cooked garlic/onions). Put in a pan, top with corn, then mashed potatoes, then cheese. Bake at 350ish for about 30/45 minutes until top is brown.

Also the top recipe on this page: http://realfood4kids.blogspot.com/2010/04/successful-winter-foods-part-2.html
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
  • breakropes
    Options
    Low fat dairy free dahl soup (textured and think without creme)

add the Dahl (must be red lentils), boiling water 1-2 cubes of vegetarian stock cubes and boil and water and dahl are completely mixed and thick.

while that is happening. cop two medium white onions finely and in a non-stick pan bronze with some olive oil (continuously stairing), does take a while sorry.

add the brozed onions to the now thick lentils and stair untill mixed, now add a pich of black pepper, salt, pich or two of medium curry and a pinch or two of tumeric, stair again then blend with a hand blender (my mum does that, i hate it, i dont mind seeing the yellowy onion pieces).

if you like blending then do so. after this is done add a few pinches of basmati rice and a few spaghetti sticks broken in to 2inch pieces and boil for another 10 mins.

serve up and enjoy. it sounds like a really long process but in fact it is very easy and a lot shorter than it sounds and tastes great i promise. This is a soup we traditionally have in Kurdistan, also Turkish and Farsies have it. hope you like it :)
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like to throw a handful or two of rinsed lentils into a crockpot of soaked pinto beans, season to taste, and cook all day. The lentils add to the flavor, as well as thicken up the broth.

Here is my favorite lentil soup recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-and-smoked-sausage-soup/detail.aspx

I use Hillshire Farms turkey smoked sausage and chicken bullion. It's really good, and very filling!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. I look forward to trying them.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we made soup with a shredded pork tenderloin, spiral noodles, red lentils, carrots, celery and dill. it was amazing! (actually i had it for breakfast this morning while the kids had strawberry and chocolate crepes. lol.)