Am i the only one???

Options
I was wondering.......Am I the only one that doesnt like to work out when people are home?? I dont like working out if my kids or my bf is home at all......i guess this is why i dont got to the gym. I just dont like the thought of someone staring at me when i work out or thinking to themselves wow look at all that sweat or look at that weird face she is making....and when it comes to my kids this is one of the times they have 101 Q&A....am i alone on this?

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't like to go to the gym for those reasons, but I don't mind working out of my bf is home. At first I didn't really like it, but then I learned how encouraging he can be. From making jokes to distract me from wanting to quit, to plain "you're doing great", I find it's nice to have him around now.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's a natural feeling, especially if you're relatively new to working out. Just try to get over it!
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out alone. If I work out at home I get enough encouragement in the form of dog kisses. I don't like going to the gym at times because I do some things differently. I have a difficult time with machines because I am short, so it can take some modification to do each exercise. I work out at a military gym, and a woman in the weight room can get some crazy looks. At home or alone is the best for me too.
  • katiebug07
    katiebug07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the same way..
    Except for me, I don't feel like working out at home is as effective, but everyone has different things that work for them better! It's deffinitely a good start though at getting comfortable with working out... If you can eventually feel comfortable working out at home, thats great! You're loved ones are all that really matters, not some stranger at the gym. Its a good example for your kids too! they want to be strong like mom ;) I use to be self concious that people would see me working out at the gym too.. In the beginning I wouldn't even go unless I had a friend or my boyfriend with me. But eventually you gain that confidence and realize it doesn't matter and everyone is there for the same reason. Plus, if you think about it too much, you probably will end up doing something awkward ;) It can also be motivating to actually be at a gym working out with so many others around... Keep at it and don't get discouraged, your not the only one:)
  • sew1222
    sew1222 Posts: 241
    Options
    thanks guys...glad to know im not a loner.... haha
  • may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't like it neither. Thats why I tend to workout when they are sleeping at night. i figure once I am comfortable with my weight after I lose some more pounds, then going to the gym won't be so tough. I just don't like them seeing me overweight. I think I look funny being overweight and exercising :(
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't think about it too much at the gym - everyone else is sweaty and making weird faces and noises so they can't judge! :happy:

However, I have a hard time working out when hubby is home. I feel silly doing my workout DVDs becuase he always seems to catch me doing some weird position and the man has no filter so he has to at least make a face, if not a comment. This is why I finally went this past weekend for a temporary gym membership. It's way too cold (and icy) out to walk/run outside and I don't want to skip workouts if hubby is home so I'll go to the gym and get sweaty with all those people. Plus, I'm really looking forward to trying out spinning and a bootcamp workout.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out with no audience, since the husband heckles, the kidlet distracts me and the dog thinks it's wrestling time. Also while doing 30DS, I need every bit of concentration I can get to actually finish the work out
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    This is SO me! I hate the gym for that very reason. I find I don't push myself becuase I'm too worried I am getting sweaty or looking silly. Alone in my living room I can really get a better workout in. And I hate exercising in front of my husband. If he gets home from the gym early or is up I generally will skip it or stop early. I don't mind in front of my kids but my oldest is only 5 so it's not a big deal.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    lol i dont like being stared at either no gym for me and when i was running around here the old ppl sat on ther front porch and stared lol. . . but get ur children to do it with u. my five yr old loves to work out with me and my two yr old jus dances around :P
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I am ok on the treadmill but do not like to do any of my DVDs if there are others around.
  • Adapaules
    Adapaules Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got a nice chuckle from badgerbadger1..My dogs are the same way. They bark and tug at my clothes when Im trying to dance with the 360 kinnect
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the gym, but I hate exercising at home if hubby is there.
  • apesid
    apesid Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer the gym to working out at home... at least at the gym I don't (normally.... hahahaha) have anyone climbing all over me!
  • kimmy51665
    Options
    I feel the same way!! I tend to work-out late at night after everyone is asleep. Also it gives me time to track my day without distractions.
  • Venus2011
    Options
    Don't worry about what others may think. You are doing this for yourself first and foremost. Try exercising before the kids get up or after they have gone to bed. Remember to start out slow. Don't want to get any injuries or burnout. You can do it!!!! Keep the faith!!!!! 2 days a week I go to Zumba class. Plan to add a 3rd day to my exercise program. I like walking. It is easy and relaxing and this is something you can do by yourself.
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hate working out period...BUT...I do and I don't mind the gym. If I left up to myself to do it at home I would never do it. Other people have the same phobias but you learn to work around them and realize that it's a good thing being at the gym!!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way. I hate working out with others and actually find that I can't push myself as hard when other people are around because I'm too self-conscious. This is why I refuse to go to a gym. I told some friends about trying to get healthier and I've gotten a couple people asking "Oooh, want to be workout buddies?" and I always have to awkwardly avoid the question because no, I don't want to be workout buddies with anyone.

I work out in my room, alone. I lock the door so none of my roommates will come busting in and see me flailing around on the floor attempting to do bicycle crunches, haha. Works for me!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I got a nice chuckle from badgerbadger1..My dogs are the same way. They bark and tug at my clothes when Im trying to dance with the 360 kinnect

I know right? My dog is only a year old so she always think its play time. She always tries to pounce or dig underneath me if I'm on the floor. Or even just stand over me drooling. One time I was doing side leg lifts on the floor on my side and I had a dog head sticking out from underneath my armpit. She's a big dog too.
  • sew1222
    sew1222 Posts: 241
    Options
    I prefer to work out with no audience, since the husband heckles, the kidlet distracts me and the dog thinks it's wrestling time. Also while doing 30DS, I need every bit of concentration I can get to actually finish the work out

i know what you mean..you need 100% focus