Excercise & a broken foot.. Any suggestions?

Options
Ok yes, I'm an idiot.. I fell the day before Thanksgiving, but thought it would get better.. a month later a dr. visit was finally in order and I learned my foot was actually broken. Jones Fracture is what they called it, and more than 1/3 of all breaks never heal on their own and require surgery.. NO THANK YOU! Anyways, I was told I can't put ANY weight on it at all or it WILL NOT heal.. ok, so WHAT can I do to actually make an impact in my weight loss? I LOVED the eliptical (my other BFF) but that is now out of the question... HELP! I need to do SOMETHING or I won't do ANYTHING!

Replies

• sailorsiren13
    Options
    i have a broken toe i broke it twice once the week of thanksgiving and the second time same toe Christmas day. I am doing upper body push ups and abs. My hubby is going to be putting me through some paces as well. Good luck to you it sucks i know.
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm going to mail your a stretching band! I'll go do that today..Do some sit ups and lift your weights...anything to get your heartrate up!
  • Emily422
    Options
    I broke my foot a few years ago. To keep working out and keep my heart rate up, I did circuits of different conditioning. Like maybe, 30 seconds of pushups, then 1 minute of crunches, then 45 more seconds of pushups , then rest for 30 seconds - 1 minute and repeat it all. Other than that, just keep doing upper body and ab exercises until you're better. I hope you recover quickly!! :)
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    Are you in a cast? Or do the docs just have you taping it? Are you on Crutches? Or one of those cool little wheel cart things they are starting to use?
    Just using crutches gives you a bit of a workout. Try to keep doing things for yourself, which is a big challenge as well! (I broke my right wrist last year and it was amazing to discover how much I could do!)
    There are some yoga poses, upper body weights (if you have or go to a gym).
    Also, check with your doc/ortho/pt contact as to what they would recommend.
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Totally love you.. If it wasnt illegal, and you werent a chic, I'd trade my husband in for you... Think Vic would mind?
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are you in a cast? Or do the docs just have you taping it? Are you on Crutches? Or one of those cool little wheel cart things they are starting to use?
    Just using crutches gives you a bit of a workout. Try to keep doing things for yourself, which is a big challenge as well! (I broke my right wrist last year and it was amazing to discover how much I could do!)
    There are some yoga poses, upper body weights (if you have or go to a gym).
    Also, check with your doc/ortho/pt contact as to what they would recommend.

I have a "walking" cast, but there is to be NO walking he said.. LOL I was tricked by the tag. I am on crutches, which are killing my shoulders (arthritis doesn't help that much either... I'm just in a whirl of hurt... ugh). I'll try just about anything.. Thank you to my bestest cuz for sending me a jumbo rubber band to use :)