How do I find the time to exercise?

Options
Hi, My name is Rebecca and I just joined. I really need to support and suggestions on how to find time to exercise and stick with it. My schedule looks a little like this; 6:30 rise and get ready for work along with my 2 girls and get them to school by 7:30. Straight to work then hit the ground running. I usually run with a cup of coffee (going to try to use substitute sweeteners only and maybe some sugar free creamer). I try to throw some natural baked almonds in for a snack to curb hunger and keep metabolism going. Then if I'm lucky I get to sit down to work while I eat a quick lunch. After lunch it's mostly paperwork time. Sitting at my desk working on a computer for about 3 hours with various interruptions. Then come 3:30 I run out the door to go get kids who must be picked up by 4:00. At home I begin supper or get kids changed for their activity (ballet, basket ball, volley ball etc.). Run them to their practice or game then run back home do some light house work, get kids in tub or shower and then it's usually time for bed. I required at least 8 hours of sleep. Where can I fit exercise in there?

Replies

• KMSForLife
    Options
    My favorite quote: "If you want to do it, all you have to do is do it." -Ben Davis

I wake up at 4:30 am to workout. It sucks but it is the only time for me that will work during the week.

4:30 am - 5:30 am = workout
    5:30 am - 7:30 am = shower, eat, kids up, kids to school
    8:00 am - 4:30 pm = work
    4:30 pm - 9:00 pm = everything life throws at a mom of 5!
    9:00 pm - 4:30 am = sleep :)
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a working mom like you with two boys. I usually either exercise while they're at their activities, after I've fed them dinner, or early in the morning. It looks like your options are:
    Get up early (5:30 or 6) and get a workout in
    Workout when the kids are at their activities and forgo the cleaning
    Workout after they go to bed

All three of these options would still allow you to get your 8 hours of sleep. Feel free to add me if you want some support. :)
  • Make the time ;)
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My schedule is similar:

4:30 a.m. - Wake and workout
    6:00 a.m. - Breakfast/get ready for work
    6:45 a.m. - Leave house to take bus to work (which is a 1 1/2 hour drive)
    8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. - Work
    7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. - All the things associated with being a mom, a teacher (e.g. mark papers), a person (eat!)
    10 p.m. - 4:30 a.m. - Sleep (if I'm lucky and my 1 year old daughter doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night like she did last night)

It's hard I know, especially the lack of sleep. I tell myself though that it's just for a time. I have to do what I have to do. I set a goal for June 30 (to get the body I want). The sooner I accomplish it, the sooner I can get back to a regular schedule with more time for sleep.
  • Jomoli
    Jomoli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My schedule looks similar to yours... i wake up at 5:15, get lunches together, get myself and my 2 1/2 year old daughter ready for the day, and am out the door by 6:45. I have a 40 minute commute. my job is very busy and i usually barely have time for lunch. I leave by about 4:30, pick my daughter up, head home, make dinner, try to get my daughter in bed by 8 but usually she is not asleep until 9, and then I get ready for bed. Sounds like I can't fit in exercise but somehow I do. Exercise has always been really important to me and I make it work, but I have found that I have to fit it in wherever I can. At work, I try to fit in 1 to 3 15 minute walks a day on most days. i do pushups and sit-ups and other stength exercises at my desk throughout the day. After work, I will trade off either picking up my daughter or making dinner with my husband so I can go for a run or bike ride - I do this about 2 times a week during the work week. I also have found a gym that offers day care that I go to for about an hour with my daughter 2 times during the work week. On the weekends, I always fit in a long bike ride or run or hike in on one or both days. In all I am getting 5 to 6 days of intense exercise plus walking and strength training when I have a few minutes of free time. I have a very busy schedule but I have found ways to make it work. You may not be in a situation where you have a spouse that can help give you time for exercise, but if you are, I suggest talking to them to get their support. I also suggest looking for a local gym that offers child care, and exercising at your desk throughout the day or during breaks. If you search the web, there are a lot of suggestions on how to get a good workout with only doing somthing for 4 to 5 minutes at a time 6 times a day. You just need to find what works for you :)
  • JudyPMorg
    Options
    I had to wake up earlier - I used to sleep until 5:30 am, but now am getting up at 5:00 am to get 30 minutes on the exercise bike! You can do this! Good luck!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about preparing meals on the weekend and freezing them or using a crockpot to cook your evening meals? That way you could probably stay for practice with the kids and use that time to exercise. Bottom line is that you have to slow down and make the time to workout. If that doesn't work then at the very least you could try to use your fifteen minute break at work to walk.
  • TORNATO1
    TORNATO1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You may find that you will need less sleep if you start working out. It is amazing how much more energy I have from a hard core cardio workout :-).
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    My favorite quote: "If you want to do it, all you have to do is do it." -Ben Davis

I wake up at 4:30 am to workout. It sucks but it is the only time for me that will work during the week.

4:30 am - 5:30 am = workout
    5:30 am - 7:30 am = shower, eat, kids up, kids to school
    8:00 am - 4:30 pm = work
    4:30 pm - 9:00 pm = everything life throws at a mom of 5!
    9:00 pm - 4:30 am = sleep :)

This ^^^^
    Yes it sucks but you are worth the effort and so are your kids who will love having a healthier mom!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I wake up early to workout. Although my kids are grown up now...it is the only time I like to workout.

If it is important to you, you can find time in your schedule. Do you ever sit and watch TV? You could use that time to do an exercise video. Can you take a walk with the kids? Take the kid sto the playground and do some exercises on the equipment.

It takes creativity and an effort to succeed...but you can do it!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Wake up earlier. Get up at 5 or 5:30 and get some exercise into your schedule. It will be difficult at first, but stick with it and it gets easier. I was NEVER a morning person. HATED mornings with every fiber of my being. But when I decided to get fit, I decided to overcome that hatred and get my body into the habit of being up at 5:00am every day, ready to work out. You can do it too.
  • cherryrobot
    cherryrobot Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    After the kids are in bed, then what? Do you go right to bed? Do you watch tv? If you have time to watch a 30 minute sitcom, you have time to do a 30 minute work out.. I personally LOVE Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or shredded in 30... it really is 30 minutes including warm up and cool down. I know that it is impossible to fit in working out sometimes, but I saw MAJOR results doing that 4 times a week. What if you tried walking with your kids 2x a week after dinner (it might be too cold to do that now) and then getting in 2 good work outs on Saturday and Sunday? That is another option. With the tapes, you never even have to leave your house. And like someone else mentioned, once you get a good work out routine you will sleep better/need less sleep AND you will look forward to those work outs :).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I hate working out in the morning. I believe the best exercise is the one you stick to, so make time when you feel happy to do it! If you bring a packed lunch, how about keeping trainers in your desk drawer and going for a half-hour power walk? And when you run the kids to their activities, rather than dashing home, why not stay and walk or jog round where they're doing their stuff?

Housework only really needs to be done once or twice a week! With the meals, make double quantities and freeze the leftovers to have the following week, or get a slow cooker where you can throw everything in and leave it.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You won't find the time because it's not there. So you have to make it, & when it becomes important enough to you, you will. I've had a busy schedule like that before too...last fall when my son would have football practice, I'd take him then head out for a 5k run around the neighborhood & be back before he was done. When I was working on my last degree I'd take the bus to my office, work 8 hrs, then hike 2.5 miles to campus for class. If I got to class early, I'd go up & down the stairs until class started. My husband would pick me up afterward, but I'd make him pick me up across the river so I'd have to walk another mile or so after class.

Point is, if you're dedicated to it, you'll make it happen.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    With your schedule it sounds like the best time is early morning, but I am not a morning person myself. I have to be up by 5:15 and I work 7am-7pm. Gym has a daycare during some hours and I utilize them a lot. As hard as it may sound, you can make time. I didn't think it was possible, then I caught myself sitting down bored...flipping thorough channels on the tv... and realized I could be up and doing something, Make some "you" time too, to recoop from the day. Best of luck! You can do this!!
  • lkelly1123
    Options
    I have almost the exact same schedule as you and am looking for the same advice. My girls are still so small, ages 3 and 5, so there isn't the opportunity to just drop them off at something and use that time for myself.

I found that, last spring, I was able to get up a little earlier and with some planning was able to exercise first thing in the morning. I'm going to try this again to see if i can stick with it, but here is what I did - the night before, I would plan my workout (at that time it was Exercise TV on Demand, but that's no longer available, now it's a DVD), and I would lay out my workout clothes in an easily accessible place. I'd put out any equipment within easy reach and then in the morning all I would need to do was get my butt out of bed. Once you do this, then you can shower and get ready for your day without having to worry about it all later.

I think that you if plan it out ahead of time it might help. Good luck!
  • Legally_Natural
    Legally_Natural Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It seems like the perfect time to exercise is when your children are in practice. If they are at a recreation center, you can go to the gym there. If not, try just walking around the outside of the building until the end of their practice.
  • Candy42adore
    Candy42adore Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and in order to get my excercise in I have to wake up at 4-430. It took a few weeks to get used to it but now I cant live without it. When I do go without I have NO energy. BEST WISHES TO YOU!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts at home at night before bed after my dinner has settled down. I just stay up a little later. I'm not a morning person so getting up that early is a challenge for me.
  • zenthebird
    zenthebird Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting down on your kids' activities. We didn't have all of that stuff when we were little and we turned out ok. You could do work out DVDs at home with them around. Not a jab towards you--- I'm talking to myself as well-- it seems that so much of life is spent running around and taxiing kids everywhere. Whew! I think we need a break.