Replies

• brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Going to watch it after my walk.

Karen
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    And some of you find this inspiring?
    It's actually quite pathetic. I pity those poor dupes who are doomed to fail once the cameras stop rolling.

And if any of YOU want those kinds of results where you crash diet, risk your health just to gain back the lard, do as they do.

There are no easy roads to the real thing. The Biggest Loser is just more tomfoolery for those looking for the quick path to nowhere.

Inspiring because although the stuff they do is wrong at least it teaches people that HARD WORK is what gets you results.
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    I agree with Emurano. I also love hearing their stories, I can relate to some of their stories, like finding excuses not to start eating right and exercising. Except I do realize that it is not healthy to lose more than 2 pounds a week, I still like to watch the show. I also like Bob and Alison Sweeney(love her in Days of our lives)!
  • Tiffany919
    Tiffany919 Posts: 51 Member
    i'm watching now! it's 8pm here and on nbc. haven't followed it in a few seasons, but i do like this show. very motivating!
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Hubby and I have both somewhat lost interest recently, but we may need to start watching again. We come from a fairly small city, and turns out one of this seasons' contestants is from our town. Kinda curious to see where this goes :).
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    I always watch, but much prefer the US and Aus versions to UK one. Maybe because I am used to those ones watching them all the time on living.....Actually my reasons for preferring the others might be Bob and Shannan :blushing:
  • msbandicoot
    msbandicoot Posts: 7 Member
    Although i have caught the odd episode before i have never really followed it. I watched the first one last night but didn't listen properly, when they did the weigh in what was the time scale they lost the weight in.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    i watched it last night - it was amazing! first time entering the house and they had to run 5k! thats the way to do it ha! i could never do that id have to proper train for it first
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I've recorded the first UK episode to watch tonight. It won't be the same without Angie, RIP :cry:
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    It was brill, i absolutely love it. It will be my inspiration source for the next 10 weeks or so! :smile:
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    I have never watched any version of the show before. But after just one episode, I'm hooked!
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Watched the UK one last night, got the US one on Sky Plus. I like watching it to see how stupid it is! Losing 1st plus in a week? Even when I weighed 23 stone and started weight watchers for the first time I lost 7lbs in the first week. I know it's mostly water weight, but you have to ask what the heck is going on to lose those crazy amounts. I have read about the horrendous things that previous contestants went through and it just beggars belief. Can't stop watching tho. Car crash telly I guess.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    I enjoyed the show but do think it gives people unrealistic expectations - people are actually dissapointed to have lost 8lbs - IN A WEEK!!

I think people expect to loose stones and stones in a week!
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    I watched the USA version on Living, then the UK version on ITV! The USA one is starting too slow...choosing the contestants first, they haven't even picked the last teams! Should have done a two hour episode.

Watching Biggest Loser ALWAYS gets me motivated! Thankfully, I was motivated before over 2011/2012. YAY!

If you really wanted to, you could watch USA on Living, UK on ITV and Australia on LivingIt!! A whole night of Biggest Loser!
  • Well, I think they lose so much in the first week because of the training sessions and extreme diet change, but yeah, it seems a scary amount to lose in 7 days!

I like watching it, especially while exercising. It's not the kind of show I usually watch, but it inspires me to work like a demon on my exercise bike while it is on, mainly because I see the contestants and think if they can shed the poiunds, I can :P

Just looked it up and can't believe Angie Dowds killed herself, that is really sad!
  • roguex_1979
    I enjoyed the show but do think it gives people unrealistic expectations - people are actually dissapointed to have lost 8lbs - IN A WEEK!!

I think people expect to loose stones and stones in a week!

The more you have to lose, the more you WILL lose in the first weeks. The show shows you that you can lose between 2-5%of your total weight. If you weigh 400lbs, you can viably lose 10lbs + in the first week. If you only weigh 100lbs (for argument sake and I suck at maths), you will only lose 2lbs.

Plus these people for the whole week do 6 hours exercise. If someone did that much exercise when you're that heavy, you're going to lose lbs quickly!

But, as the show also showed aver the last 10 seasons of the USA version, week 2 or 3 is a bother because your body rebels and you can put ON weight!!
  • roguex_1979
    Just looked it up and can't believe Angie Dowds killed herself, that is really sad!

Not very inspiring...personal trainers are supposed to have their life together...just shows that weight isn't the be all and end all of your life...

RIP.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    I've recorded the first UK episode to watch tonight. It won't be the same without Angie, RIP :cry:

I was very disappointed that the only reference to her last night was a quick two second flash at the end of the programme. I realise that she left last season because she wasn't giving healthy advice, but she was still a big part of the show. Shame on ITV for not having the balls to mention her in the script and acknowledge the fact she inspired a lot of people to live a healthier lifestyle.

Just saying.
  • FJHutch
    FJHutch Posts: 34
    I am watching last nights UK episode now.
    I think I watched an episode once before in the dim and distant past, I'm not sure.

I am not sure why they all had to weigh in for the first time in pubs and shopping centres. They all seemed very well aware of their weight and the fact they needed to change, I don't think public humiliation was necessary. I don't think we see everything, this is TV after all but I do find it interesting.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    I am watching last nights UK episode now.
    I think I watched an episode once before in the dim and distant past, I'm not sure.

I am not sure why they all had to weigh in for the first time in pubs and shopping centres. They all seemed very well aware of their weight and the fact they needed to change, I don't think public humiliation was necessary. I don't think we see everything, this is TV after all but I do find it interesting.

yes I thought this was a bit crass - just trying to humiliate them a bit more, The other thing is I don't think they said that it was one week - so it could have been longer. If they are not used to any exercise and have massively unhealthy diets then that sort of weight could be exlained by huge restrictions, tons of exercise and water weight - the next weigh in will not be as high I would imagine.

My recording cut off before the end, so I was going to watch it online to catch the last bit, I wondered if they were going to say anything about Angie Dowd, she was inspiring and battling depression is hard, especially in the spotlight.