Nurses How do you track

Options
Ok, so my wife is a nurse and just signed up for MFP. I know you nurses are on your feet all day. So how do track that activity? A pedometer perhaps? but how do you translate that into MFP?

Replies

• sproeber89
    Options
    I don't track working as a nurse, I figure it's my everyday life so it's not really burning as many calories as some regular cardio does. I only track my other workouts.
  • emilyr9602
    emilyr9602 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    when she sets up her goals, she should choose "Active or Very Active" for her daily activity....don't log it as extra.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I don't track working as a nurse, I figure it's my everyday life so it's not really burning as many calories as some regular cardio does. I only track my other workouts.

ditto!!
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm a Personal Support Worker in a Nursing Home, so pretty much the same thing run my butt off for 8 hours. Really you need an HRM to track actual calories burned, but as I don't have one yet For an 8hour shift I say Walking 2.0 for 4 hours so anything burned above and beyond that is bonus.
  • crobinson0923
    Options
    She should just up her activity level when she set up her profile so that mfp would take that into consideration when figuring out how many calories she should eat. Then if she does anything out of the ordinary for that day, then you would track that.
  • Kelico528
    Options
    when she sets up her goals, she should choose "Active or Very Active" for her daily activity....don't log it as extra.

Yup, do this!
  • Cathy_ann913
    Cathy_ann913 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh that's not true! I worked in a Level 1 trauma center for many years and didn't think that all that walking back and forth to triage, taking up patients and the pushing gurneys was exercise. I gained 20 lbs at my new desk job. The weight gain was a combination of decrease activity and snacks in everyone's office. Don't discount work exercise!
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I DO track it because I'm here to KEEP TRACK of my activity, as accurately as possible. Just like logging food accurately. And I work 12 hour shifts that I don't sit down much. I've yet to get a pedometer and I think that would be the best way to do it. But I've read on some forums that the average nurse on a 12 hour shift (busy) walks about 6 miles. I usually chart a few hours of moderate to light cleaning or chart a few solid hours of walking at a moderate pace (about 6miles). That boosts my caloric intake enough to eat back some of the nutrients my body (particularly my brain) needs to function ALL day long which I feel is important, especially when I'm taking care of very sick people. I am still loosing weight at what I feel is a healthy rate (about .5-1lb/wk). Some people suggest increasing your daily activity level but I find that there is a lot of variability because I do shift work (2 days, 2nights and 5 off). I am also in search of a more accurate way to chart this activity so I'm interested to see what others that DO count it chart it as.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I think it is highly dependent on what kind of shifts you work and the type of nursing you do. I work a 0.6 EFT which is essentially 2-12 hr shifts/wk, so the rest of the week I am not getting the work activity. I am in critical care, and it's impossible to know how your day will go. Some days it's a lot of monitoring and documenting, others it's a full day of resuscitating, others still a 5 hr 60% BSA burn dressing change in isolation gear in an ultra hot room.

As such I caution against setting to active or very active as it would not be accurate in all cases, it may lead to overeating calories.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I work for 11 hours on my feet and dont log it as exercise. I just set my goals and work as active. I find this workss best for me and my body is used to it I guess x
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    badgerbader1, how do you track your activity then?
  • When it asks for your daily activity (ie. "slightly active", "active", "sedentary") choose slightly active or active and MFP automatically takes that into account when calculating calories, carbs, fats, etc. It even gives examples next to the choices (slightly active would be like mailman or waitress, for example).
  • kryshouston
    Options
    I dont track my work as a nurse because it is everyday activity
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    badgerbader1, how do you track your activity then?

To be honest I'm not sure yet. I only started MFP on Dec 17th and I'm on medical leave until Feb 6th.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    She can do ONE of two things. But NOT both:

1) Set profile to very active and do not log work as exercise

OR

2) Set profile to lightly active or sedentary and log work as exercise (walking, etc)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Not a nurse, but I think the easiest way to account for it would be to set her activity level to either active or very active, that way MFP already takes it into account when setting her calorie goal!
  • Mirror_Image
    Options

This. Dependant on how heavy her caseload/ward is.
  • Kelico528
    Options
    She can do ONE of two things. But NOT both:

1) Set profile to very active and do not log work as exercise

OR

2) Set profile to lightly active or sedentary and log work as exercise (walking, etc)

Yup, this too :-)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You'd be very surprised to see the difference in calories burned between having a desk job or working as a nurse. My wife, who is also a nurse, works 12 hour shifts. We've yet to send her to work with my body media fit, but from my time using it, even trips to the grocery store, burn quite a few calories vs. sitting on the couch or behind a desk.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm a RN on a busy Labor and Delivery unit. Your wife definitely needs a pedometer..on average I take over 10000 steps while on duty.