5 tips to maximize your workouts

Options
deeR504
deeR504 Posts: 22 Member
I was looking up information to get the most out of my workouts and thought I would share my findings. I hope this is useful
:smile:

1. Eat a healthy breakfast

Whole-grain cereals or bread
Low-fat milk
Juice
Bananas

If you plan to exercise within an hour after breakfast, eat a lighter breakfast or drink something to raise your blood sugar, such as a sports drink. Emphasize carbohydrates for maximum energy.

2. Size matters

Large meals. Eat these at least three to four hours before exercising.
Small meals. Eat these two to three hours before exercising.
Small snacks. Eat these an hour before exercising.
Eating too much before you exercise can leave you feeling sluggish, or worse, with a case of diarrhea or stomach cramps. Eating too little may not give you the energy to keep you feeling strong throughout your workout.

3. Snack well

Energy bars or drinks
Bananas or other fresh fruit
Yogurt
Fruit smoothies
Whole-grain bagel or crackers with peanut butter
Granola bars
Snacks eaten soon before exercise probably won't give you added energy, but they can help keep up your blood sugar and prevent distracting hunger pangs.

4. Eat after you exercise

Yogurt and fruit
Peanut butter or meat sandwich
String cheese and crackers
Nuts and dried fruit

A regular meal with meat, starch, and cooked vegetable or salad
To help your muscles recover and to replace their glycogen stores, eat a meal that contains both protein and carbohydrates within two hours of your exercise session if possible

5. Drink up
Drink roughly 2 to 3 cups (0.5 to 0.7 liters) of water during the two to three hours before your workout.
Drink about 1/2 to 1 cup (0.12 to 0.23 liters) of water every 15 to 20 minutes during your workout. You may need more the larger your body is or the warmer the weather is.
Drink roughly 2 to 3 cups (0.5 to 0.7 liters) of water after your workout for every pound (0.5 kilogram) of weight you lose during the workout.

Water is generally the best way to replace lost fluids. But if you're exercising for more than 60 minutes, use a sports drink. Sports drinks can help maintain your body's electrolyte balance and give you a bit more energy because they contain carbohydrates.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fitness/MY00396/TAB=indepth

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Info is always helpful!
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    Thanks for the info!!!
  • deeR504
    deeR504 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    glad i posted it. i try to look up infor when ever I have a question about health and fitness and never thought about posting it untill i was going to print this out.