How many pounds per inch on waist?

Options
Just wondering. Anybody have a rough idea or rule or thumb?

Replies

• StacyDodds
    StacyDodds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My experience has always been that you can't count on the inches coming off your waist. Generally I've found that if I'm lifting weights and doing cardio that if I loose 10 pounds I will have lost at least 1 inch total (the inch could be 1/4 inch on my thighs, 1/4 inch off chest, and 1/2 inch off hips)
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My experience has always been that you can't count on the inches coming off your waist. Generally I've found that if I'm lifting weights and doing cardio that if I loose 10 pounds I will have lost at least 1 inch total (the inch could be 1/4 inch on my thighs, 1/4 inch off chest, and 1/2 inch off hips)

I have just hit the 10lb. mark and have lost 1" off my waist. Also 1" off my hips and 1" off my ribcage so it's been pretty even! My thighs and arms have lost 1/4" each.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think it probably depends on your body fat percent. And gender likely too since women have a higher fat percentage than men.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    Really depends on gender and body type. I am an hourglass shape and have lost two inches off my waist having lost six pounds.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. People lose weight differently and people lose from all areas of their body so there is really no set amount.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I lost about 4 inches with my first 10 lbs, then sometimes I'd lose an inch and no weight, but I carry weight in my mid-section. Depends on sex, weight, fat distribution, if you're working out, toning, etc. I've stayed the same weight for the last month but lost another inch on my waist, and gained 1/4 inch on my upper thighs, and lost a little on my upper arms. It really depends on what you're doing.
  • nigel217
    nigel217 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a two inch reduction in waist size and a half inch drop in collar size for each stone (14 pounds) weight loss. I guess however everyone is different and it depends where on the body the excess weight is being carried.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose 2 inches per 14lbs but everyone is different
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine changed. The rate was slow while I lost quickly in other places. Now that they are mostly tapped out, I'm losing faster in my waist! Yay! Mine's just the last to go, every time.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a one-to-one. I have lost 40 lbs and 6" on my waist. However, the last two inches came off after I went into maintenance. I lost 2" on my hips after I stopped losing too. And I'm not even exercising. Things just move around.

My poor husband is a tai chi instruction and solid muscle. Except his gut which is large - and muscley. He loses everywhere but there.
  • mrmach
    mrmach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that this is different for everyone and it is probably not linear, but over my 40 lb. weight loss, my waist reduced by four inches.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. Anybody have a rough idea or rule or thumb?

there isnt one, it really depends how you carry your fat to where you lose the most inches from.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree with it being different person to person. I carry my weight in such a way that even at 300 pounds I had a 36 inch waist. 100 pounds later I may be able to wear 34's, but they would be tight.
  • aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yeah it really does depend on a lot of things.
    I have lost 13 pounds and have lost 3 inches.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, this depends on your body type.
    I have an hourglass figure, so I tend to lose fat from my waist first. I lost 3.5 inches from my waist with the first ten pounds. However, going forward I expect the fat to come off more from other areas and think maybe 5 pounds = 1 inch, or maybe 10 pounds = 1 inch.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    No way to tell. It is different for each individual.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Echoing the idea that there is no set rule. I can lose off my wait without dropping a pound. It's just where i trim up first.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as losing a certain number of pounds to equal inches lost.

We can lose inches without losing any weight on the scale & we can lose on the scale w/o losing any inches.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said, it will be different for everyone for a number of different reasons. I just hit the 39 pound mark today with 8.5 inches off my waist. So for me, it was about 4.5 pounds for an inch but again, everyone is differant and it really can't be put to any standard measurement.