Push-Up Advice, Please

Options
Hi everyone,

I could sure use some friendly help/advice on doing push-ups. I really only like and only have been doing cardio and abs. Now I need to work on some overall toning, but push-ups seem almost impossible. Even in my young and fit military days, I only could ever do the minimum required to pass PT, while maxing out the run and sit-ups....

I started 30DS and its great, except the pushups. I really can only do a few modified (on my knees) in correct form before I fall on my face (ouch!).
Sooooo... my question is: what's my best bet: (1) doing modified wall pushups to complete the entire circuit with good form or (2) do the pushups I can do on my knees and rest or just hold the "up" push-up position for the rest of the circuit?
Any other good and doable exercises to help build the muscles needed to do good push-ups?

Any friendly advice or tipas are greatly appreciated

Replies

• jessicamckay13
    Options
    Just keep at it!

I'd say do wall push ups. Or do half and half. Or switch it up each day. You WILL get it, just keep working!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was going to say use the wall also. I was doing that and seemed to use more muscles.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what equipment you have access to, but doing some bench presses would help build your chest and triceps muscles which should eventually allow you to do full pushups. Start light and slowly add a couple of pounds each workout.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would do as many as you can on your knees in good form. When you reach your failure point, move to the wall.

My reasoning: If you do them all on the wall, you will progress much slower than if you were to challenge yourself by doing a few each time on your knees.

It would also be beneficial if you kept a record of how many modified push ups (from your knees) you can do each time - and see if the number increases :)

Good luck!
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this too! I must have 0 arm strength because I fall too! Lol.

How do you do them on the wall?
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    you have to train yourself to get to the point of doing push ups. definitely do weight workouts like bench press, shoulder press, bicep and tricep curls... also what i did to get myself prepared for push ups was hold my body in the push up position for as long as possible. i can hold it for 2 minutes now where i was lucky to hold myself for 15 seconds in the beginning. i do that three times at least three times a week. i can do push ups too which never in my life could i ever do.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have 0 arm strength as well but I have been doing wall push ups and knee push ups.. I was able to do about 8 real pushups today! (though i think not quite to 90degrees)

Do as many 'real' push ups as you can, doesnt matter how long, just do them without breaking form, when you have to break form go to your knees, try to do as many more as you can before you can't push back up, when that happens go to an incline (such as wall) and repeat. Do that 3 times 2-3x a week. Each day you do them keep track of how many each you do and try to add one each time.

Also I have been using a 5lb dumbell to strengthen my shoulders bc that's part of my problem.. 5lbs is about all I can do.

Good luck :)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this too! I must have 0 arm strength because I fall too! Lol.

stand 2-3 ft away from the wall, lean forwards and place your hands slightly wider than shoulder width, bend at the elbow bringing your upper body torwards the wall, then push back out.

You can also do these on an incline like upper body on a couch or bed if the wall is too easy.

Also I forgot to mention before - Plank will help with core strength but if you can do sit ups I can't see that being the issue.. just an idea tho :)
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    if you have a android or i-phone download the 100 pushup challenge in the market, set your goal and set what you can do right now it will set you up with a program that tells you how much pushup to do per set.... it also have a rest timer that counts down and a wistle that blows when rest time is up. i been using it and now i can do 33 with no problem..when i started i could only do 10-15. you do it every other day. my goal is 100 and am also trying to pass the military PFT with 100 points on all 3 tests...
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Now I need to work on some overall toning...

There is no such thing as toning, its a myth, it is impossible to "tone" a muscle
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I will try several of them and see which combo works the best.
    :drinker: Here's to not falling on your face !
  • pushupking
    Options
    The best method for getting started with push-ups. Firstly, understand how much your push-up weight is by getting your body scales. Then place your hand on the scales in the full push-up position and double the measurement. Example: My push-up weight is 160lbs 70kgs. Next then measure with your knee's on the ground. Use the results to give you a goal to train on the benchpress.

I am 36 and built my body and website successfully from push-ups inside of 2 years.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

Same here! I have my PT for the Navy coming up in a few months, but I can't seem to get through 10 modified pushups (and only a few regulartion situps) without my body going Bleh!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I worked myself up from doing them on the knees on 30 ds, No more trouble zones and Ripped and just recently started doing them on my feet doing No more trouble zones. I started when I felt I could finish a whole set ( 12 - 15 ) on the knees without feeling I was going to die, in fact, I did them all and had energy left for more. In the beginning doing them on my feet I could only do about 5 but through the past two months Ive worked myself up to 11! Just keep at it!