Breaking the seditary lifestyle

Options
:flowerforyou: Hi Everyone.
I am new to MFP and excited. I am a fulltime student after my PHD and also homeschool mom, so unfortunately I spend alot of time infront of the computer. I realized that I needed to stop this seditary lifestyle so I am walking outside briskly for 10 minutes every hour on the hour. I also force myself to drink 1 glass of water inbetween the walks. This is the year that I take back my body! I turn 50 this year and I am determined to have a healthy body. I have a long way to go. But I know this is a start. I am also committed to going to the gym 3 times a week for a real workout. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Replies

• sarahrhodes91
    Options
    Walking is a great start! Two years ago, my grandma woke up one day and realized she had gained a lot of weight! She was 58 at the time. She started her weight loss by simply going to the park every morning and walking for 30 minutes. A few months and 40 pounds later, she was a walking machine! She carried little three pound hand weights with her and went up and down hills and walked up hills backwards and found all sorts of creative ways to turn her simple walks into full body workouts. She threw on some headphones and jumpstarted her day with a fun walk, and in no time she was 60 pounds lighter. Now she has a better body than me! Keep up the walking, don't underestimate the power of a power walk! Good luck =]
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I like having a few DVDs for exercise at home. My favs are yoga and dance.

I am take a walk every morning.

I also find using a step counter keeps me more active as well. I will march or jog in place while waiting for something or take jonger route to increase my step count.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start...good wishes to you on your journey.
  • skirchmann2atlasok
    Options
    Great advice. Thanks. It's so funny to realize I am a grandma!!! LOL
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You might look into walking DVDs for bad weather days. Leslie Sansone videos are really good for this (generally 15 minutes = 1 mile). Here's a Youtube address to check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

This one is a 5 Minute Walk - there are others that are longer.