Turbofire / eating before workout

Hi guys,

Is anyone doing Turbofire exercise plan here? I'm only on day 3 but I am finding it hard to know when to eat before the session. It's about 1 hour of intense cardio and I try to get it in before work so I get up at 5.45. I noticed the first time I worked out on an empty stomach, I didn't have any energy so my preformance was poor. Today I tried a protien shake before working out, which gave me loads more energy but I felt very sickly. I don't want to wake up any earlier to eat something and then hang around for 30 mins before working out.

Any advice?

Replies

• shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    I can't eat before I work out when I do it first thing in the morning. If I do it later in the day, food before doesn't bother me. It's just something about the early morning workout/food combo that makes me queasy!
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    I feel the same way! I was hoping that it's just the protein shake that made me sick, but I think it might be anything I eat before working out that gives me that sicky feeling. But then if I don't eat I have a third of the energy. Not sure what's best.
  • Helen_Ch
    Helen_Ch Posts: 37 Member
    I would just try half a banana instead of the shake. I find that a shake "sloshes around" while I work out and also makes me feel sick. Good luck with TF...it's a great program!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I can't workout with anything on my stomach, no matter what time of day it is.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Thanks guys, I'll try half a banana :-)
  • RonKay
    RonKay Posts: 85 Member
    Half a granola bar before I start my TF workout works for me! :-)
  • BritFitB
    BritFitB Posts: 106 Member
    It varies from person to person; some can operate through that program on an empty stomach, others need a few grams of protein. It's pretty much whatever is best for you, however, I wouldn't eat a full meal, just enough protein to withstand the long cardio sessions. I usually eat something light, 1/4 cup steel cuts oatmeal, something with peanut butter, or a handful of almonds. Good luck!
  • I have a protein shake and a banana at 5am, and start my workout at 530 because I have no energy otherwise.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    I did the first disk 30min/10min DVD for a week or so first to get my body used to the motions and whatnot, and then I started the monthly challenge! I usually ate about an hour before and worked out in the evening.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    When I do it in the morning, I eat a spoonful of peanut butter. And I don't wait 30 minutes. Blah. Who wants to wake up that early. I can't do a protein shake before working out at any time of the day. It hurts my belly and makes me feel sick the entire time I'm working out.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    I workout at 5:30 but I get up at 5 and take my preworkout supplement. Usually a N.O. product for energy, focus and stamina.
    Coffee is a pretty good stimulant also.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    Thanks guys for all the replies. I was thinking of getting up at 5.15, having a protein shake, trying to get back to bed till 5.45 and then working out. But.. couldn’t manage it today! my body is super tiered and sore all the time anyway with 1200 cals and 1.30 hours of exercise everyday!
    So I had half a granola bar before my workout, then the other half at the end and a protein shake about an hour later.
    Felt a tiny bit sickly first 10 mins but that went away and had energy to smash 45 class + 20 mins HIIT + 10 mins stretch :drinker:
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    I'm in the same boat - no way I'm gonna get up even earlier to digest and need a pretty empty stomach to work out. I have a glass of fruit juice as the energy's absorbed pretty quickly - more quickly than a banana. Or an energy drink if I have one.
    To get the kind of instant energy from a banana it has to be really old and the mushy/brown kind.