dress size

Options
how many pounds/inches is the difference between standard dress sizes? I've heard some say it's 3lbs of fat and other say it's 10-15lbs...what do you think? Also, for those out there who have successfully done this, how & how long did it take you to lose one size? I'm a bridesmaid in a June wedding and am aiming to drop at least 2 dress sizes by then (:

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i usually switch sizes after 15lbs ..it just happens to be what works for me
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    me too i drop a jean size after losing 15 lbs but b4 that i am in the same old size
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For me it's been about 20lbs so far. I've lost 45lbs and gone from a UK 16/18 to 12/14
  • vision2012
    vision2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually 10lbs
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think it depends more on your body composition / current size. I can lose / gain as little as 5lbs & not be able to wear certain cuts, but when I was bigger I could gain / lose 10 or 15 & not really notice a change in how my clothes fit. Maybe that says more about my style then ? Lulz.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have 30 pounds to lose total and have lost a dress size every 10 pounds, consistently.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I think it depends on height, too. I'm somewhat tall (5'8) and found that I had to change sizes less frequently than my friends who were shorter. I believe that I changed sizes about every 10 lbs.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I was a UK 12 at 152 lbs, a 10 at 145 lbs and an 8 at 130 lbs.
  • melnkk19
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and drop a size about every 10 lbs. Although, that seems to be changing as I get closer to my goal. I'm also focusing more on toning muscles now so the weight is moving slower, but the size is changing faster.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    It really depends. I lost over 50 pounds before I started changing sizes. some people lose 10 pounds and need new pants.
  • cwill86
    cwill86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sunshinegirl2 I have been trying to calculate the exact same thing as I am a bridesmaid too in June and want to go from a 12 to an 8 -10 by then! I know that I went up a dress size by putting on about half a stone but I also stopped exercising... I think exercising + dieting changes the amount of weight you need to lose to drop a dress size compared to just dieting alone? :)
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I started offf wearing a tight size 10 pushing 12. I am officially in a size 6 dress pants(not jeans). I would say every 10 pounds I dropped a size.
  • sunshinegirl2012
    Options
    thanks for the input everyone (: cwill86 I hear ya...I think you're just going to get different (better) results by doing both! for example you could lose 10lbs by dieting, which is fine, but if you lost 10lbs by dieting and exercising you would end up a lot more toned, and would have probably lost more fat since I assume when people exercise they generally put on muscle (: I also think with dress sizes the number with inches is more important than the number on the scale...by exercising and watching what I eat I've lost a couple inches the past month even though my weight hasn't dropped by a lot. hmm...
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I echo that it depends a lot on your height and they way you gain/lose weight. I'm super-tall (6ft) and put on weight very evenly, so it takes quite a bit of weight before I gain/lose a size. I'm currently an 8/10 but was only about 3 sizes larger 50lbs ago! (14/16) Yet I have friends who gain in their stomachs and 5lbs means different pants.
    Overall, though, I'd agree that 10-15lbs generally equates to a new size.