snacking instead of lunch-ing

Options
I go back to work tomorrow and im dreading it... because of what i might eat.
usually i take something really nice for my lunch such as salads, soups, healthy sandwiches etc plus a snack.
however i only get one break during the day which is 30mins at lunch time and usually i feel like i dont want to eat my whole lunch in that time so i waste half the lunch and eat the snack, then munch on whatever the children are having for lunch, or pudding or snack because im so hungry.
basically what im wondering is, if anyone takes only "snacks" for lunch, for example. veg sticks, cheese cubes, fresh fruit, peanut butter.
any ideas on how i could make these more interesting and filling enough to last all day? I plan on eating a bigger breakfast before work. Another reason i prefer snacks is they dont need to be prepared or heated up at work. 30 mins is a short break and its a pain if i have to spend 15mins preparing my lunch!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is just try it and see how it works for you.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i used bagel thins or sandwich thins and make a sandwich. its not big but its chock full of nourishment if you add chicken or tuna on it. please take the time to eat something every three hours.. that is probably your biggest problem if you are only eating once during an 8 hour shift. you figure between getting ready and driving to work and driving home thats probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours so really you are going ten hours with just one partial meal. get some protein bars and fresh fruit to eat on the way home from work or munch on at work .. really any meals after three hours , you wil devour anything in site and thats not good. sometimes i make chicken salad and bring kashi crackers because it makes me feel like im eating a snack.. shrimp is quick too.
  • racheljoanne
    Options
    i know its an issue only eating once during work, but im not allowed to eat my own food infront of the children, i work at a nursery. i only get one break at either 11.30 or 12.00. Im not even allowed to have a water bottle in the room, so i find it hard to drink a lot of water. It only takes me 20 minutes to walk to work and i try to eat breakfast just before i leave the house at 7.30. The main problem is im finding it hard to find lunches that i enjoy as i do prefer snacks, and also im really hungry by 3pm which just happens to be the childrens snack time, where il more than likely sneakily eat some of their snack. (toast, scones, fruit loaf etc) I usually try to avoid too many foods like this as they make me bloated!