Any success from 30 day shred

Options

Replies

• theycallmeswampy
    Options
    I'm looking for something that will actually work, and people have been raving about the 30 day shred all over the place! I've bought workout dvds before and they've been rubbish so want to make sure I get the most up to date one. Need to lose a few inches before going travelling in Feb and the 30 day shred seems ideal.
  • ChristineNicole81
    Options
    Inches count more than pounds when doing a DVD like this. Jillian is not only promoting weight loss, but gaining muscle and toning. Therefore since muscle weighs more than fat the scale should not be your determining factor for success.

I am on Day 7 of the Shred and I notice a difference already, esp in my stomach and my arms. I was very leery about buying any work out dvd because I am a skeptic, but when I read all the reviews on Amazon.com, I sucked it up and went to Wal-Mart and bought it. There are no instrauctions on how to do it or when to jump to the next level, you should determine all of that on your own. My plans is to do each level for 10 days, so far its working. I was extrememly sore on day three so I did just abs and arms no legs or cardo.

I also go to the gym 4x a week doing cardio only. That has been my routine since March. I've added this 30 Day Shred and it has jumpstarted my body again and I can't believe how quickly my tummy is looking good! The harder you do the DVD the quicker you will see results. It's only 27 mins per level with warm up, workout and cool down, so there is no reason to cheat yourself!!! If you want faster results, go to the gym as well to the treadmill or elliptical or run./walk outside too-it will help a lot!

Good luck!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you think you burn doing the 30 day shred level 1?

It depends on your height, weight, fitness level, and level of effort. I'm 5'4 and weigh 134 and when I'm REALLY working, I currently burn about 220 for level 1. This is my second time doing the shred, the first time through my calorie burn was sometimes lower b/c I wasn't able to always keep up with the exercises, plus now I'm using larger weights. My husband, however, who is 5'9" and weighs around 190, burns about 400 calories doing the exact same Level 1 workout with me. Bigger people can burn more calories doing the same thing. The absolute best way to measure it is to wear a heartrate monitor with a chest strap or something like a BodyBugg armband when you workout, that will get you the best estimate for calorie burn (it's still an estimate, though). If you don't have a device like that, your next best option is to log it as about 20 minutes of 'circuit training, general' here on MFP. It's not perfect, but it's a decent estimate if you aren't able or wanting to invest in a device that can estimate your actual effort.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Could a beginner do this? Like, someone EXTREMELY inactive? I'm about 30-35 pounds overweight and about 50 pounds from what I consider to be a healthy weight. I haven't exercised in like a year. I bought the DVD over a year ago and never did it. Also bought the Jillian Michaels weight set (the dumb bells or whatever)

I'm about 64 lbs. from a "healthy weight" (and that's the high end). I started the 30DS yesterday. Let me tell you ~ I'm sore today (using 3# weights) and it was a little rough but the workout is only 20 minutes long with an additional few minutes for the warm up and cool down session. If I can manage it you should be able to.
  • ChristineNicole81
    Options
    I'm looking for something that will actually work, and people have been raving about the 30 day shred all over the place! I've bought workout dvds before and they've been rubbish so want to make sure I get the most up to date one. Need to lose a few inches before going travelling in Feb and the 30 day shred seems ideal.

A workout dvd is all about YOU and YOUR mentality and how hard YOU work yourself. If you do it and you do short cuts or don't do as many reps as Jillian does, it isn't going to work for you. The DVD is only 27 mins from warm up, workout, cool down, so there is no reason to cheat yourself (not saying that you do). This DVD is NOT easy, but if you are determined and you stay motivated, you can def look great after 30 days with Jillian!!!

Also remember, inches lost count over pounds lost. This dvd is for weight loss and toning - muscles weigh more than fat, so you will not lose every pound you want.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Could a beginner do this? Like, someone EXTREMELY inactive? I'm about 30-35 pounds overweight and about 50 pounds from what I consider to be a healthy weight. I haven't exercised in like a year. I bought the DVD over a year ago and never did it. Also bought the Jillian Michaels weight set (the dumb bells or whatever)

Yes, a beginner can do it. I was super out of shape when I started, I mean Day 1 put me in pain for 3 days, I could hardly climb the stairs or sit on the toilet my legs hurt so bad. LOL Take it easy in the beginning, don't push yourself too far on that first day so you don't have to take 3 days off like I did. Do the exercises but don't feel like you have to go all the way down on the squats/lunges and don't feel like you have to pick up a 5 lb weight if you're not sure if you're ready for it yet. Start small on day 1 (I had to use 1 and 3 lb weights on a lot of exercises in the beginning), then if you're not hurting on day 2 go ahead and push a little harder and pick up a bigger weight. You'll find that you improve quickly and can keep up more easily after a few days of sticking with it. Just watch your form and be careful not to injure yourself. When you do the squats and lunges, make sure your knees do not go past your toes, make your butt go out back behind you so that your knees don't go too far forward.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30 day shred twice and didnt see a huge drop in weight but noticed I toned up a lot! Def take measurments to see what you lose in inches rather than pounds.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
  • ravenwcatz
    ravenwcatz Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I've been extremely inactive (sleeping to sitting in a car to sitting at a desk to coming home and sitting in bed watching movies) for years, and though it was tough to start out, I can definitely make it through the whole video. Also, the more you do it, the easier it gets. I'd say go for it. ^_^
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Did this in 2010 - in about 6 weeks, lost 16 lbs. Of course, I watched what I ate as well and did surplus it with some treadmill time. I'm about to start it again. Like everyone says, the first few days, you want to punch her through the tv. After that, you really feel an increase in your endurance. I know when I do mine tonight, I'll be dying during the 2nd set, but once you get to the 3rd set, you just want to push through and it's TOTALLY worth it.

Hubs laughs at me when I'm doing it because I yell about how she isn't even doing the exercises and how friggin' lazy she is and how she should get down on the mat and do pushups too, daggonit! *lol* I'm not doing it every day, but I've added it in once a week for some great circuit/ST.

And, for the record, yes, anyone can do this. You may have to modify a lot. You may not make it through all the reps and have to take short 5 second breaks now and again to catch your breath (I do!) but I'm betting that a few weeks in I'll start to not need so many breaks and might even make it through an entire circuit without wanting to punch my TV.
  • Swampstar
    Swampstar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just ordered this, now nervous but excited!
  • rzrshrp
    Options

I'm in the same boat as you. About 30-40 lbs over where I'd like to be but still on the high side of healthy BMI. Coming to JM from several years of almost no exercise activity. Today is my third day of doing this; I'm doubling up 30DS and Ripped in 30. Today is my Day 3. I am extremely sore but can follow along with the workout activity without much trouble. Cannot do pushups (even on my knees) but otherwise no problems following along.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I did it a few months ago. Took me 2 months because I got a bad cold but I lost 14.2lbs and 9 inches. ( I did other things along with it like yoga and some zumba)
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, Did anyone really lose 20 pounds in 30 days? That's about how much I want to lose, so it would be awesome if it is really possible. Or how much did you end up losing in 30 days?

I'm doing 30DS right now, and I've researched it a lot. Most people don't lose very much weight at all and some maintain, however, almost all people lose inches and that is a lot better than weight! Search in the threads for "30 day shred before and after" so you can see the success people have had. Almost everyone I've talked to has loved it! As for the 20 lbs, it's just a marketing technique; I'm a business major so these things stick out to me. lol The packaging says "lose UP TO 20 lbs." It's healthy to lose up to 2 lbs a week and a month is about 4 weeks so you should lose around 8 if you combine this exercise with a daily diet and other cardio exercises.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I did the 30ds in 33 days and lost a serious amount of inches...my arms looked amazing (and I had some flabby upper arms!!). I only lost about 6 lbs but the inches I lost were incredible. You get out of it what you put into it, that's for sure.

I know of a gal on here who lost way more weight and she said she just never sat down - she did the 30ds, some cardio on the side, and at night, she just kept on moving. If I remember right ,she said she lost 15. Amazing.

I took a before/after shot, but it's hard to see in my picture.

Project1.png
  • LuaLiz
    LuaLiz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm actually 5 days away from finishing the 30DS and have been doing it 6 days a week, taking Sunday's off. i've only lost 3lbs so far (with a current goal to drop 15), but i'm definitely seeing differences in my arms and legs. it's been a great way to kick start my new early morning workout regime and I plan on continuing with Ripped in 30 once i'm done with the shred.
  • Paul_Kent_UK
    Paul_Kent_UK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've just ordered this DVD - does it require any equipment I may need to get?
  • rzrshrp
    Options
    I've just ordered this DVD - does it require any equipment I may need to get?
    You need weights.