omg I'm hungry!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When you feel like you HAVE to have something salty or sugary, try to choose the best thing possible. Popcorn (especially air popped) is GREAT. Drinking tea with a spoonful of sugar in it is calming, relaxing, and tastes sugary. PLUS, it helps make you feel fuller. Try getting some interesting flavors of tea. I just had Zesty Orange and Spice tea with a very small amount of sugar. Tastes great, curbs appetite, and it's awesome on a cold day like today.
  • ami299
    ami299 Posts: 57
    Options
    You have to start with a plan- if you have no idea what you will eat, you are bound to give up or feel defeated and hungry. Sit down and plan out your meals each night so that there is no room for messing up or being hungry. It will get easier.
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like starvation at first, but try to eat healthy things that are low in calories, it will seem like you are eating or grazing all day long. You should not feel hungry when you change your lifestyle. I put in a "friend" request so you can look at my diary and lifestyle. Search everyone's and get ideas of what to eat and what not to eat. Just be cautious, there are many that eat up their calories quickly and they are using mainly empty calories. The goal is to eat all day long, but eat healthy and most of time the healthier eating will be less calories than the alternative.

If it were easy, everyone right now would be doing it. It is walks and talks (to others of like mind and to yourself for encouragement). You are so in the right place and that is a good place to start. This website has so many tools it's unreal! You can do this.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I completely agree but i know it gets easier....im just starting to track my food again...i slacked off due to the holiday and now i feel like im starving. I usually eat 1200cal a day, but its only 4:30pm and i only have 290cal left. I found that if i slowly down my calories each day its a little easier, and just the act of tracking and being aware def helps. some snack that really do help are
    edamames, you can get them in the steamable bags and are a great snack. If you get the ones in the pod it takes longer to eat and seems to help. Also if you are a potato chip eater....like me...baked chips are great...but remember to portion it out...also sage valley white cheddar puffs are good and you get alot for only 120cal. The other person who said herbal tea helps...it really does...i drink green tea a few times a day...hopefully this helps :)
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Ease into this, take it slow and easy because if you try to change everything in one day, you will get completely overwhelmed.

That being said, it's like I told my husband yesterday, If you are used to eating lots of high sugar, high calorie and high fat foods, I don't care what you do.....till you go through that "detox", if you will, your gonna be hungry. Your body is craving the sugars and fats and until it has been weaned off of them, the hunger will be there.

You have to think of snacks that will satisfy YOU. I can't eat a bag of cold carrots and be happy, but I do like a bananna and 10 pistachios for one snack, or BabyBell cheese with Wasa Bread. An apple with a tablespoon of peanutbutter. Balance your carbs and proteins and that will help satisfy you as well.

I find that If I eat every 2-3 hrs, I never get hungry. And if I'm not hungry, then I never feel the need to binge. I eat my breakfast around 7, then a snack around 9:30. I have lunch at 12:30, then a snack at 3:00. I have dinner somewhere between 6:30 and 7:00.

And I've seen it posted here already, water, water and more water. It will help in so many ways. Flushes your system out, keeps fatigue at bay, keeps hunger at bay.

All my best to you, you can do this....one day at a time!!
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    water!! and nuts - almonds, walnuts, all unsalted. peanut butter - add to apples or bananas
    ^^ filled with good fats that will keep you fuller longer
  • CoCoFluff
    CoCoFluff Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's sooooo hard. One thing I remember from when I was starting out and really trying, is that I would exercise mostly to earn extra calories to eat.

I do the exact same thing!!

lol seriously, I feel like in order to eat, I have to run.
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    I love to eat, I love big portions. My strategy is 3-4 cups of frozen cauliflower/broccoli steamed with 1/2 to 1 cup of roasted garlic spaghetti sauce. It tastes awesome and you get that "super portion" feeling in your brain. I find that just the visual of small portions make me feel like I am still hungry even when I am not. It is only a couple hundred calories so it works perfect for a snack! Good luck.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Ease into this, take it slow and easy because if you try to change everything in one day, you will get completely overwhelmed.

That being said, it's like I told my husband yesterday, If you are used to eating lots of high sugar, high calorie and high fat foods, I don't care what you do.....till you go through that "detox", if you will, your gonna be hungry. Your body is craving the sugars and fats and until it has been weaned off of them, the hunger will be there.

You have to think of snacks that will satisfy YOU. I can't eat a bag of cold carrots and be happy, but I do like a bananna and 10 pistachios for one snack, or BabyBell cheese with Wasa Bread. An apple with a tablespoon of peanutbutter. Balance your carbs and proteins and that will help satisfy you as well.

I find that If I eat every 2-3 hrs, I never get hungry. And if I'm not hungry, then I never feel the need to binge. I eat my breakfast around 7, then a snack around 9:30. I have lunch at 12:30, then a snack at 3:00. I have dinner somewhere between 6:30 and 7:00.

And I've seen it posted here already, water, water and more water. It will help in so many ways. Flushes your system out, keeps fatigue at bay, keeps hunger at bay.

All my best to you, you can do this....one day at a time!!

Lol! I think eating a bag of carrots would be more like punishment.
  • suemallee
    Options
    Try 1,200 calories...Ugh..... I drink lots of water and try to do things to keep your mind off of food and I walk a lot.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Soup is very filling and low-calorie!

Take a look at my food diary for other ideas-- I'm usually around 1200 calories a day but I'm constnatly eating and never feel hungry (just don't look at last two weeks because it was the holidays and I was eating abnormally).
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    If you can find it off season, Watermelon and strawberries helped me soo much! Both are only like 46 calories per cup. Another trick of mine is grapes. They are around 100 calories a cup but trust me, 2 cups will fill your belly good. If your craving chocolate, try fudge pops. The fudgicle brand is only 40 calories a pop. Popcorn is soo much better then chips if your looking for something salty. Great value mixes (Like crystal light) is my favorite thing to drink. I don't like the aftertaste with CL. at 5 cals, not bad either. :)

There are a few foods that wont break your calorie goal. Do not starve yourself, just find new options. Thats the name of the game in healthy living.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Protein-rich foods, oats, vegetables, and tons of water!
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    Just curious -
    do you all wait for actual stomach growling to determine if you're "hungry" -
    or do you go on a general feeling of being hungry?
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    The snack recommendations are great and certainly drinking a ton of water and eating lots of fiber helps tremendously.

That being said, the first few days of changing your lifestyle just plain suck! It doesn't matter what you're giving up - junk food, sleeping in, cigarettes, a jerky boyfriend or girlfriend... It's always really tough the first few days, even though you know you're better off without it in your life.

I promise you that you will feel less hungry in a few days.

Best of luck! Hang in there!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wasa crispbread with laughing cow cheese or hummus and cucumbers.
  • ABetterBetsy
    Options
    THANK YOU for your post! I am also on day 1 and I'm worried about what to do when the hunger strikes! Your post has generated a lot of helpful responses. Good luck!!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, 1400 calories is starving and setting you up for failure. You should be eating your BMR (calculated under the Tools function) at a minimum. I'm 5'6" 158 lbs and my minimum is around 1450 calories a day. With exercise, I generally eat 1700-1800 calories a day. I totally agree that you should plan your day in advance. If you know what you are allowed to eat and spread it out throughout the day, it should help with the hungry feeling.
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bananas are 100 calories, but they really help. Pickle halves (the big kosher ones) help too, and they are only 10. Really though the water helps. If you are not drinking enough you will know it, because you will be hungry, lol...
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just ate a clementine..low cal, and takes a while to eat. I love low sodium chicken broth made with boullion or decaf flavored tea for those late afternoon hungries