Asparagus!

Options
Anyone have some great tips on how to cook/flavor/prepare asparagus? I have grown to love asparagus a lot, but I'm not too sure what all I can do with it to change it up. I don't like bacon so that's not an option, and I've only really been eating it grilled with EVOO.

Replies

• tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I love love love grilled asparagus.

I use my george foreman grill to grill them.

I drizzle them in olive oil and lemon juice, then grill them for 3 minutes on the georgie. Delicious!
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    I just steam it. I sometimes spray I can't believe it's not butter on it.
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I drizzle them in olive oil and lemon juice, then grill them for 3 minutes on the georgie. Delicious!

oooh! I never thought about using my George Foreman for it! That's so much easier than what I'm doing! lol
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

oooh! I never thought about using my George Foreman for it! That's so much easier than what I'm doing! lol

haha I know, I didn't think of it either until my friends mom did it at thanksgiving this past year! great to learn new things! =)
  • jezika01
    jezika01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Red Wine Vinegar and Shallots w/ Salt & Pepper... the shallots are sooo yummy and take away the pucker from the vinegar!
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus now too! I have put putting it in a pan and letting it sautee with olive oil, garlic, pepper, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Delicious!
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus now too! I have put putting it in a pan and letting it sautee with olive oil, garlic, pepper, paprika, and a pinch of salt. Delicious!
    Pretty much my go to minus the paprika. Gonna have to try that.
  • CarolAnn0730
    Options
    Anyone have some great tips on how to cook/flavor/prepare asparagus? I have grown to love asparagus a lot, but I'm not too sure what all I can do with it to change it up. I don't like bacon so that's not an option, and I've only really been eating it grilled with EVOO.

First... WHAT DO YOU MEAN - you don't like bacon??!!

I would have sugested grilling - I use some cajun spices or Mrs. Dash - and it's been the best by far. I like it just steamed too - but it takes on an entirely new texture when you do that.
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    We LOVE it grilled too! Just with EVOO and a sprinkle of Paula Dean's Silly Salt.....yummo!!!!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I second the George Foreman grill. Six minutes and you've got a meal!

A lot of times I'll take an egg, mix it with a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese and a dash of black pepper, and dip the asparagus in that mixture before putting it on the grill.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Asparagus under hollandaise or bernaise sauce, on top of a steak. :D
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I spray some tinfoil with one cal, then salt, pepper garlic and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil wrap it u and pop it in the oven
  • stormystrickland
    Options

First... WHAT DO YOU MEAN - you don't like bacon??!!

I would have sugested grilling - I use some cajun spices or Mrs. Dash - and it's been the best by far. I like it just steamed too - but it takes on an entirely new texture when you do that.

haha I do like bacon sometimes... but I'm really picky about how I eat certain things and I will only eat bacon plain with syrup Idk I'm pretty weird haha
  • stormystrickland
    Options
    I second the George Foreman grill. Six minutes and you've got a meal!

A lot of times I'll take an egg, mix it with a couple tablespoons of parmesan cheese and a dash of black pepper, and dip the asparagus in that mixture before putting it on the grill.

mmmm yum! I'm definitely going to have to try this!
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I actually like it raw, but when I do prepare it.. usually broiled with a little olive oil and whatever seasonings I'm in the mood for.
  • cherield
    cherield Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sounds good!:smile:
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I love it in a creamy soup. Cooked in chicken or vegetable stock with lots of onions, garlic, sage and thyme, then buzz it with the hand mixer and add a tiny bit of sour cream or cream cheese to make it luscious :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options

You're already doing it right.
  • deblc6836
    Options
    2-3 minutes under the broiler with EVOO, salt & pepper, then a squeeze of lemon after it comes out...fast and easy, and leaves plenty of life in the asparagus. (I hate squishy vegetables.)
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love it topped with EVOO and Balsamic, wrapped in aluminum foil and tossed on the grill :)