But Hi anyway :bigsmile: :glasses:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Wrong thread :embarassed:

Ya goof! :laugh:

4-miles this morning, but was sidestitch city! :explode:

3 months till my first 1/2 marathon for the year. I've really got to build up some endurance. :embarassed:

Happy running, everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Chilly 3 miles for me this morning. Just about 9 degrees so my pace was faster than normal. Plus, I'm sure I burned more calories because of all the layers I was wearing.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    6 miles for me today!

Feeling great, have a great run everyone!
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Omgsh,
    Can someone please tell me how to start running!
    I've been trying to run for a long time now, and after about 9 minutes (1 Mile) I am huffing and puffing, and have to walk.

How can I increase the distance I run?

(I've even tried running at a slower pace, a 10 minute mile) and still can only seem to go 1 mile.

HELP!:yawn:

160263.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I ran 6 miles today in the rain - shoes, socks and legs are covered in mud.

LOVE IT! :laugh:

Took me about 50 minutes. I'm pretty new runner - what pace should I aim for when training for a marathon?
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Omgsh,
    I've been trying to run for a long time now, and after about 9 minutes (1 Mile) I am huffing and puffing, and have to walk.

(I've even tried running at a slower pace, a 10 minute mile) and still can only seem to go 1 mile.

160263.png

You could do a search for the couch potatoe to 5k work out. I have seen mentions of it on MFP but I don't have a need for it so I have never looked for it. It is supposed to get you up to 3.1 miles in no time. Good look to you.

As for me, I am still battling the remnants of this stupid cold. We just got done our last session of bootcamp on Friday so I am going to take the entire week off with no working out and see if I can shake this chest congestion. I have to do something soon as our own running group is training for 10 miles in May. (We should be able to run that well before May since we are already doing 6 miles on Saturdays.)
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up and I am going to start! I hope this works for me.

Thank you!
  • gmpearse
    gmpearse Posts: 136
    Options
    Omgsh,

160263.png

Have you ever heard the children's story of the turtle and the hare? The turtle even though he went slow won the race. I have found that if I jog a 12 min mile I can run 5 miles without dying but if I try to run a 10 min mile then I struggle to run more than 1 mile. Try for slow endurance first then increase the speed you run. Just a suggestion - hope it helps.
  • duffyzmom
    Options

Took me about 50 minutes. I'm pretty new runner - what pace should I aim for when training for a marathon?

First question - How long have you been running? I had 3 half marathons under my belt before I even considered doing a full. Plus it is a little easier to estimate you pace if you have some long runs from which to estimate. Check out www.runnersworld.com I know they have a pace calculator and I think you can enter distances as small as 5K. Also if you are new runner make sure you get a good training plan before you start training. I followed one from the runningroom but runner's world has a free smartcoach feature.
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Omgsh,

160263.png

My suggestion: Embrace walk breaks. I did most of my training through the running room and they are big supporters of the 10:1 run/walk method for long distances. Some runners look down on walk breaks but it really made it easy for me to go from never running to a full marathon in less than 3 years. As you get stronger you can let them go if you want. Some just take walk breaks at water stations.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

The system I use for training is based on your 10 K race pace, so, in your example, you ran 6 miles in 50 minutes, just over 8:00 pace. On your regular or tempo runs, aim for that 8:00 pace, give or take depending on the length of your run. If you are doing intervals, aim for 7-7:30. pace, again depending on the length of the interval.On your long distance (endurance) runs, slow it down to 8:45-9:00 pace so you don't burn out. By mixing up your pace, you can build your stamina with less risk of injury, but you are still doing enough speed work that you can pick it up for the races.

Oh yeah, ran 5.5 this morning
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

First question - How long have you been running? I had 3 half marathons under my belt before I even considered doing a full. Plus it is a little easier to estimate you pace if you have some long runs from which to estimate. Check out www.runnersworld.com I know they have a pace calculator and I think you can enter distances as small as 5K. Also if you are new runner make sure you get a good training plan before you start training. I followed one from the runningroom but runner's world has a free smartcoach feature.

Umm.. I've been running for two weeks, lol (I joined a running program). I plan to do a half on May 3rd, and the full is in December.

I'm a swimmer and I hike a lot - so I'm in shape. I just am not very good at running yet :laugh:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    3.7 mile interval run in the pouring rain...I hate running in the rain!!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Wrong thread :embarassed:

Ya goof! :laugh:

4-miles this morning, but was sidestitch city! :explode:

3 months till my first 1/2 marathon for the year. I've really got to build up some endurance. :embarassed:

Happy running, everyone! :flowerforyou:

embarrassed.gif
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I got in 6 miles today... and about 30 minutes of strenght training. I didn't feel like working out at all, so I'm glad I did it!!!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    5 last night and I will do 5 tonight.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone!! 5 miles for me on the treadmill (3 x 1600 speedwork in there). And 600 yd swim, gotta get back to regular swimming. 3 mos til my first tri of the season! :wink:

And might be like Kimono and run tonight too, my buddies want me to join them so we will see how my energy is by then! :laugh:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: Embrace walk breaks. I did most of my training through the running room and they are big supporters of the 10:1 run/walk method for long distances. Some runners look down on walk breaks but it really made it easy for me to go from never running to a full marathon in less than 3 years. As you get stronger you can let them go if you want. Some just take walk breaks at water stations.
    Walk breaks are a great way to get started, but just a point of runner's ettiquette. After my races this weekend, I was frustrated by the number of run/walkers who run at pace in the middle of the crowd, then stop cold when their timer goes off because it's walk time, causing a traffic jam behind them as everybody tries to dodge them. Maybe, if you know you are not going to be keep pace with the pack, you should run to the side of the road, so the pack can pass when you start walking, or at least ease into your walk, so the people behind know you're slowing down and can avoid running you over. Just my rant