Exercise and Metabolism

Options
sometimes I see people ask, if it is all about calories, why do we need to exercise at all (besides the looking better with toned muscle and a happy heart) to lose weight.

I read in an article yesterday that the added exercise in itself keeps your metabolism burning effeciently instead of slowing down to conserve energy because of the lower calories you are consuming. Logic would say (to me, only my opinion) that this would in effect help you lose faster even though you are eating exercise calories back, if you are one of those people that choose to do that (not starting the eating calorie debate here :laugh: ) that is why exercise will help you lose weight in addition to cutting calories, even if you eat back your calories. You can still lose weight without exercise but it, based on this assumtion, would take longer.

Sounded reasonable to me.

Replies

• allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    sometimes I see people ask, if it is all about calories, why do we need to exercise at all (besides the looking better with toned muscle and a happy heart) to lose weight.

I read in an article yesterday that the added exercise in itself keeps your metabolism burning effeciently instead of slowing down to conserve energy because of the lower calories you are consuming. Logic would say (to me, only my opinion) that this would in effect help you lose faster even though you are eating exercise calories back, if you are one of those people that choose to do that (not starting the eating calorie debate here :laugh: ) that is why exercise will help you lose weight in addition to cutting calories, even if you eat back your calories. You can still lose weight without exercise but it, based on this assumtion, would take longer.

Sounded reasonable to me.
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    hmm i exercise and eat right because it makes ME feel better
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    so do I, but I have seen the question posed before, so thought someone might be interested.
  • tracy24
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    What dieters do not realize is that when they lose weight, it is in the form of fat & muscle. No weight loss tactic will allow you to lose ONLY fat. Anyone who is on a diet alone needs to conserve the (presumably) small amount of muscle mass they have. Strength training preserves and has the potential to grow more muscle mass (a very good thing, indeed). Strength training helps to preserve bone density, especially for women and everyone as we age. The benefits of strength training are many. You will look and feel better...and you will have improved health!
  • tracy24
    Options
    singfree well said!