For people under 5'4"

Options
i ran across this on the weekend and found it quite enlightening as I am only 5'1"

For petites to lose weight, Karas recommends

- reduce calories to 1,100 a day for two days; on the third day, calories increase to 1,600. This is “calorie cycling,” as he calls it. “I’ve found that giving women the opportunity of a little treat along the way made their adherence to the regular days so much better.”

- Karas’s program calls for exercise, but only a bit more than 90 minutes a week,

- skip the cardio. “I’ve been the anti-cardio man for almost five years now. Totally and unequivocally, cardio just makes you hungry, and if you are a petite woman and you start eating like bigger women after you’ve done cardio, there is no place your weight is going to go but up.”

- Strength training is the way to go. And don’t forget to stand up and move around as much as possible. “Don’t think of this specifically as ‘exercise,’ but rather as daily movement that comes from cleaning the house, gardening, walking to the bus, shopping, cooking or standing while talking on the phone.”

- three grams of a fibre supplement 15 minutes before dinner each night.

- eat your biggest meal of the day at breakfast, or “front loading,” as he calls it, is another must. The 1,100-calorie-a-day allocation breaks down to a meagre 400 calories for breakfast, 300 calories for lunch and 300 calories for dinner (and a 100-calorie snack).

http://m.publishing.rogers.com/macleans/share/2011-51/12g_bak_petite.html

Replies

• KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Hah, I actual read that in Macleans recently. It said if petite women eat just 28 extra calories a day we'd gain so much in a decade or something.
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just read that too! AMAZING!!!
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Wow thats crazy!!
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to read it again for it to sink in.
  • Nic0522
    Nic0522 Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I am 5'1" and have had that experience with cardio - being unbelievably hungry and not losing weight.
    Good info on the calorie cycling too. I'm going to try it.

Nicole
  • jennyjo79
    jennyjo79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow ... that's really interesting! I find the whole bit about the cardio especially interesting. Definitely something to keep in mind; thanks for sharing.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Somebody posted something similar the other day, and I call b.s. Me and every other female marathon runner under 5'4" who are low weight are living proof that cardio is just fine for the shorties (and necessary for heart health).
  • lilworros
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I'm going to go research this book now.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you for sharing! At 5'2" I would definitely like to try some of the recommendations!
  • rjbrowne
    Options
    Hmm, that is interesting. Might give it a try. I'm 5'1", 100lbs. I've lost all the weight I want, but I'm finding that pretty much any kind of cardio is making my legs bulk up. This is really not what I'm going for. I like the long/lean, but feel lazy just doing pilates all the time!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than your body burns, you will lose weight. If you do cardio exercises, your body is burning more than usual and therefore requires more food to fuel it. It's true that shorter women need less fuel, but not necessarily as low as 1100.

The size and frequency of meals also has no effect on weight loss. This has been proven multiple times. You can skip breakfast and eat a huge dinner right before bed and still lose weight. I wouldn't do it, but it's possible.
  • ajourney2far
    ajourney2far Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That would explain why I went to a gym and did both weights and cardio 3-5 times a week for over a year and only lost 17 inches overall - NO weight! And I didn't eat excessively - just ate a little more than usual because I was hungrier. This was 30 lbs ago unfortunately.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and eat almost 1500 calories before exercise and lose about a pound a week if I stick to it. At 1200 calories I didn't lose at all.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than your body burns, you will lose weight. If you do cardio exercises, your body is burning more than usual and therefore requires more food to fuel it. It's true that shorter women need less fuel, but not necessarily as low as 1100.

The size and frequency of meals also has no effect on weight loss. This has been proven multiple times. You can skip breakfast and eat a huge dinner right before bed and still lose weight. I wouldn't do it, but it's possible.

^^^ This!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I read this in The Post last week...very interesting indeed, although I wonder how much is proven?

He has a whole book on the subject:

41-CXaIEMML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

The Petite Advantage: Achieve That Long, Lean Look -- and Eat the Right Foods to Feel Full Fast -- with the Specialized Diet for Women 5'4" and Under -- by Jim Karas
    http://tinyurl.com/6vf2ygh

I wonder if it's worth a read? If anyone gets a hold of the book, let us know! :)
  • nikki91950
    Options
    bump :)
  • SarahAbear
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and I 'd go mad before I stick to a 1,100 calorie diet. 1,200 felt like starvation and I had no energy to work out. (I've since bumped up my calories)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Having a combined barbell lift of over 450 pounds makes me hungry. The cardio, not so much unless we're talking an 8+ mile run, in which case I need to supplement with quick-digesting carbs.

For reference, I'm 5'0" and 8 lbs away from my ideal body weight. As I near that weight and increase my strength or increase my running levels, I need to eat MORE to lose and eat more to keep up with my training.

1100 calories...really? Yikes. I eat 1500-1600/day.
  • niicolemariies
    niicolemariies Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    this is really interesting. i'm 5'2 and lost 50lbs in 5 months doing 1200 cals a day. but i've been stuck in a rut since november. i've gained a couple pounds back but have gotten much more toned and a tiny bit smaller. i'm still looking to lose another 25-30lbs and many people have been telling me to cut the cardio and do more weight training, but increase my calories. i'll give this a shot though. anything to get me out of this stupid rut! haha
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm five feet on the nose and I do cardio and am constantly hungry also (I try to fill up on little snacks like tomatoes and cheese)...but I'm steadily losing weight. Between 2 to 3 pounds week. OF COURSE...I am just starting. Another factor though is my body type. I have a muscular build underneath. My trainer constantly comments on how strong I am and how she can tell I have a lot of muscle beneath everything. I have powerful legs, I must be a long lost Kardashian because I have a huge butt (and it's not going anywhere), I USED to have a tiny little waist (it's coming back), and I'm a DD cup. Honestly...I have no idea what I'm supposed to weigh or how that affects the way I need to lose weight, especially when I read stuff like that!! It's interesting though...I might try it when I plateau.