Why do I feel like this?

Options
2»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your reasons for going meatless. Why dont you concentrate on that for a while, and then gradually reduce your carbs? Your body will react much better to a gentle adjustment rather than shock tactics.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three of low carb diet and day two of meatless diet. I've cut out pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, etc. As well as all meat. I still eat veggies and fruit though that have carbs, just no starchy foods or animal meat.

I was feeling fine the first two days but I really feel sick today. My brain feels a little fuzzy and I feel nauseous. I know I'm getting PLENTY of carbs from the veggies, fruit, milk, and nuts I'm eating, as well as the sugar I put in my coffee. I'm also eating plenty and my calorie counts are about the same as usual. So I'm not sure why my body is feeling this way. Has any one else experience this with a low carb or vegetarian diet? Any ideas on what I can do to make the feelings of nausea and fuzzy-brain go away?

Sounds like detox from eating the starchy and processed foods.

Drink lots of water and herbal tea and it will go away anywhere between 2 and 7 days from now. You will know when it passes because you will get a burst of energy.

I do want to mention that you need to get some good protein sources (hemp protein, eggs, or add back in some meat of some type) or you are going to burn your muscle away and be left skinny fat.

Protein and fat in adequate amounts are needed to maintain or build muscle mass and burn fat.

Thank you! :D That's really good advice. And I think you're right. Starchy foods where a main staple in my home as we don't eat much meat. Rice, bread, and pasta were the main part of our meals. I think I'm going through starchy food detox. lol I'm sure you're right though, that I'll start feeling better in a few days once my body has adjusted to not having rice and pasta.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Somebody please point me to a reputable source of data that says that you detox by abstaining from a particular type of food. The detox talk, in my opinion, is rubbish. There is no reputable data to back up the claims that folks are full of toxins because of they eat like 99.9% of the population.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing that by cutting out the carbs, you are now longer receiving any complete proteins. Vegetable protein is not the same is animal protein. Vegetable protein is an incomplete protein, that requires a complex carb (grain) to complete.

You may want to put back some of the complex carbs (whole grains), and just get rid of the crappy process stuff, and sugars.

The other option is to add Quinoa, it's one of the few complete proteins in a grain.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Somebody please point me to a reputable source of data that says that you detox by abstaining from a particular type of food. The detox talk, in my opinion, is rubbish. There is no reputable data to back up the claims that folks are full of toxins because of they eat like 99.9% of the population.

Is webmd reputable? Because they say that detoxes are rubbish too.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

If that's not sufficient, Tufts Medical Center (which may or may not be an actual medical center) also says there isn't enough scientific evidence to support detoxification:

http://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/apps/HealthGate/Article.aspx?chunkiid=100544

... which goes on to state:

To date, there has been little research on the various detoxification diets, and as a result, there is no scientific support for or against any of their health claims. Instead, both pro and con arguments rely on what is known about the functioning of the human body, as well as toxicology (the study of toxins).

.... annnnnd:

If you still, despite their questionable benefits, decide to go on a detox diet, be sure to consult with your doctor first. Certain groups of people should never follow this type of diet, including children of all ages, pregnant women, and individuals with diabetes. Finally, because most detox diets severely limit calorie intake, vigorous exercise should be avoided while on these diets.

and finally, even though the article does state several benefits of 'detoxing' .. it concludes with this:

Without research available to support the claims made by these various detoxification diets, consumers should be skeptical.

Rather than going on a short-term detox diet, make healthful long-term changes to your diet such as eating a more plant-based diet, drinking more water, and cutting back on your caffeine and alcohol intake.

Oh, sorry, EEG ... I could only find statements that support your belief.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I feel like I get fuzzy-headed when I I sense I need some carbs. I get almost all my carbs from veggies and fruit, and quinoa and a little brown rice, but sometimes I feel like it's not enough. I've not intentionally gone low carb, it's just kind happened that way... So I eat a helping of pretzels, and strangely I feel more clear-headed... so I have stuck to that practice.

A friend sent me this article and it sort of stuck with me http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/dropping-serotonin-levels-_b_819855.html, I have no idea how reputable this article is, but it stuck with me and having that carb really works for me, sometimes I have an apple instead... I always went for a protein, but it just didn't work, which surprised me... Is there a certain time of day that you feel this way?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Can I step in and suggest what seems kind of obvious to me?

I feel tired and foggy headed when I just plain need more food.

Not a ton of calories in the food you will allow yourself to continue to eat, while the foods you cut out do have a fair few calories.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Low carb AND meatless? Why????

I second this!

You are probably feeling awful because you have made such a drastic change.

Drastic change has nothing to do with it. Geeesh, just because someone cuts out the processed foods from their eating plan it is always such a drastic change.

No, it is not drastic.

I ment it was drastic because she's done it all at once actually! Most people would do one then the other. No need to get on your high horse about it!!

For most people, the only way to change is to just do it. No baby stepping around. I admire the OP for taking the plunge with both feet and going back to a natural, whole foods approach.

As a matter of fact, I give her a standing ovation!!!

No one is on their "high horse" about anything, especially for eating the way we are intended to eat anyway.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

It is a well known fact that sugar, caffeine and many of the additives in the processed foods we eat are highly ADDICTIVE. Therefore when you cut them out, you detox just like you do if you were a drug addict or an alcoholic.

Maybe it is not only a detox of sorts, but it is also going through withdrawls. Most people don't believe it because they will never attempt to give up sugar and such. I know because I am regularly asked to bake people cakes, pies, cookies and pastries that I no longer eat.