Biggest fear about weight loss

Options
My biggest fear is that I have been big so long that I will have excess skin..

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I gotta admit, I have a sneaking fear of the same thing, I've lost about 30 pounds, but very slowly, no more than a pound a week,.. I think so far so good, but I'm 47 yrs old, and I'm worried about saggy skin after losing the next 30 pounds i'm hoping to lose this year... anybody out there to throw us a comfort bone?!?!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I already know I'm going to have excess skin. Still better than excess lard!

Seeing as I'm a natural born catastrophic thinker, my biggest fear is that on the very day I'm in peak physical condition, I'll get run over by a Greyhound Bus while out jogging! :laugh:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest fears, strangely enough is that my legs won't shrink appropriately compared to the rest of me and they'll look awkwardly large.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Saggy skin is a concern of mine aspecialy when it comes to my chest region. I do have an even bigger fear..... I fear that I will lose the weight and feel good but that I will self sabotage and gain it back AGAIN with more. Its been my life story and sometimes I question if its been the underlying reason for my weight not coming off!
  • nursinggirl64
    Options
    i lost almost 100 pounds 10 yrs ago in 11 months i exercised and didnt have loose skin just start exercising and u should b ok
  • hereiskristina
    Options
    I think that at 26 years old, chances are excellent that your skin will go right back into a normal snug fit. Don't worry about that though think healthy, happy and energetic and if your have saggy skin, let it be your trophy for how far you have come! Good luck :smile:
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That I'll lose some of my self identity. I've always been the fat chick. Like my friend said in a blog post on here, how can use maintain your sense of self when it;s been tied to your weight for so long?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is that I have been big so long that I will have excess skin..

I'd rather have excess skin than excess fat.

I, too, have been overweight for a long time. My biggest fear is that I have done irreparable harm to my body by abusing it for so long. But I would rather be lighter and better able to deal with it
  • innerbetty
    innerbetty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I also share this fear..can you say wings?? I especially fear this in the areas where I have stretch marks. ie. arms, hips, thighs.
    I also have a fear that losing the weight will change my relationships. I've always felt like two different people and I feel like the confident me will be uncovered and my existing friends won't like the more confident, self assured me. I honestly think these two fears are what hold me back from actually going for it full force. My excess weight is a cloak I hide behind that stops me from living my life to the fullest.

edit: Just wanted to add that this is an awesome topic! Maybe just what people like me need to get off thier chest to truely move on and change thier life. Thanks :)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'll take the excess skin if it buys me more time with my kid.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I confess that I am afraid of getting hit on a lot. I was a skinny teen (almost underweight) and I was seen as a sex object by most people. No one would listen to what I had to say with any sort of seriousness because they were so enamored with my appearance.

I'm a little older now, and I'm married. I really don't want to be chased for the way I look.

I just want to be smaller so I don't get diabetes. If there weren't so many health problems associated with being heavy, I probably would just stay fat, because I like the way everyone ignores certain things about me.
  • quietpotato
    quietpotato Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll take the excess skin if it buys me more time with my kid.

^this this this

There are far more important things than skin.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The awkward stages where your in between clothing sizes and everything looks frumpy on you... That and not having enough money to buy new clothes when I need them.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm scared that my weight loss will absolutely take over my life and I need to remind myself to still enjoy every day and not focus so much on the scale.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think some people are just lucky. I have lost 100+ pounds. I have saggy skin because I have been obese for so long. I know someone else who lost a lot of weight too, and lucky girl is not having saggy skin issues. I think one has to decide if saggy skin is worse or being obese is worse. I think for me, I will take saggy skin any day because I can walk up the stairs without crying from knee pain.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think we all have this fear. I guess I would just rather be fit and healthy with a bit extra skin than feel like crap and have a lot of fat.
  • Qcrazy
    Qcrazy Posts: 19
    Options
    Id gladly have excess skin in trade for more health! My real fear is Changing who I am. Right now I feel like I am someone else. The last time I lost weight I went in party girl mood. Well now I am 30 with 2 boys ages 8 and 10. I cant be me and I cant be her, so who will I be?
  • may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I worried about it after my pregnancy since I was so huge. But I have noticed that combined with exercise and strength training around my core, since that is my problem area, the weight is being lost and the skin is not saggy. I also use a cream to help with elasticity.

Also, if it comes down to it, there are surgical options.
  • SLT4273
    SLT4273 Posts: 56
    Options
    The awkward stages where your in between clothing sizes and everything looks frumpy on you... That and not having enough money to buy new clothes when I need them.

I've found some great items at goodwill/thrift stores. :] Just a thought
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    That I'll lose some of my self identity. I've always been the fat chick. Like my friend said in a blog post on here, how can use maintain your sense of self when it;s been tied to your weight for so long?

OMG THIS!!!