Corn Tortillas

Options
JasiBella
JasiBella Posts: 1,168
2 Cups Masa Harina*
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 1/8 Cups Hot Water (not boiling)
Plastic Wrap

*Masa Harina is corn flour. It can be found in most grocery stores with either the flour or in the mexican section. I used Maseca brand.

Place the masa harina and salt in a medium bowl. Add the water and mix with your hands to make a dough that comes together in a soft ball.
Continue mixing and kneading until the dough is elastic enough to hold together without cracking. If it cracks or becomes crumbly, wet your hands and continue kneading. Separate the dough into 12 balls (approx. 1.4 ounces each). As you make the balls, place them into plastic bags to keep from drying out.

To form the tortillas, place a ball between two pieces of plastic wrap. Roll out with a rolling pin to make a 6 or 7 inch diameter circle. Continue with remaining portions until the dough is used up. (If you don't plan to cook the tortillas right away, just leave the tortillas in the plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for up to 1 day).

When ready to cook the tortillas, heat a heavy skillet or griddle over high heat until it begins to smoke. Do not spray the skillet. Peel the plastic wrap off of a tortilla and place the tortilla in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 30 seconds. Turn the tortilla over and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Turn again, and cook until the tortilla puffs a bit but is still pliable, not crisp. Remove and continue cooking the rest of the tortillas.

Note: These are best when served warm. They're also a substitute for recipes that call for flour tortillas. :) They also make a good snack. I like to spray each side of mine with butter spray and wrap 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese up inside. YUM!

Serves: 12
Per Serving: 69 Calories; 1g Fat (9.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 45mg Sodium

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/BreadsandGrains2/CornTortillas.html

Replies

• JasiBella
    JasiBella Posts: 1,168
    Options
    2 Cups Masa Harina*
    1/4 teaspoon Salt
    1 1/8 Cups Hot Water (not boiling)
    Plastic Wrap

*Masa Harina is corn flour. It can be found in most grocery stores with either the flour or in the mexican section. I used Maseca brand.

Place the masa harina and salt in a medium bowl. Add the water and mix with your hands to make a dough that comes together in a soft ball.
    Continue mixing and kneading until the dough is elastic enough to hold together without cracking. If it cracks or becomes crumbly, wet your hands and continue kneading. Separate the dough into 12 balls (approx. 1.4 ounces each). As you make the balls, place them into plastic bags to keep from drying out.

To form the tortillas, place a ball between two pieces of plastic wrap. Roll out with a rolling pin to make a 6 or 7 inch diameter circle. Continue with remaining portions until the dough is used up. (If you don't plan to cook the tortillas right away, just leave the tortillas in the plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for up to 1 day).

When ready to cook the tortillas, heat a heavy skillet or griddle over high heat until it begins to smoke. Do not spray the skillet. Peel the plastic wrap off of a tortilla and place the tortilla in the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 30 seconds. Turn the tortilla over and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Turn again, and cook until the tortilla puffs a bit but is still pliable, not crisp. Remove and continue cooking the rest of the tortillas.

Note: These are best when served warm. They're also a substitute for recipes that call for flour tortillas. :) They also make a good snack. I like to spray each side of mine with butter spray and wrap 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese up inside. YUM!

Serves: 12
    Per Serving: 69 Calories; 1g Fat (9.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 45mg Sodium

http://www.aimeesadventures.com/RecipeFiles/BreadsandGrains2/CornTortillas.html