Bikram Yoga

Does anyone know how to calculate calories for 90 minutes of Bikram Yoga? There is no Yoga other than Hatha yoga.

Replies

• Hi there, I teach hot yoga. (Pretty much the same as Bikram, (we aren't allowed to use the name, but I am a certified teacher) It depends on the person, what your resting metabolic rate is, and also, you are sweating out alot of toxins and water. The release of toxins will help you better digest your food, and you rev your metabolism in those forward folds (standing separate leg forehead to knee) You burn anywhere from 200 to 300 calories, in a regular hatha class. but it your metabolism is higher in general, it could be more. From what I know Bikram is about 450 to 500, but again, it depends on your size, your bmo etc. Hope this helps. Also when you work your core, not only will you protect your spine (and strengthen) you will also have an easier time with digestion, balance postures, strength training and cardio.
  • lilithe1
    lilithe1 Posts: 30 Member
    My yoga studio has a calculator on their website. I have no idea how they do the calculation, but it depends on the particular class. You can probably use their calculator to at least get a good idea for yourself, but I don't know how to tell you which class to pick. When you see the calculator, you'll know what I mean. It's on the left hand side. I hope it helps!

http://www.sunstoneyoga.com/Support/FAQs.aspx
  • mjuckie
    mjuckie Posts: 15 Member
    I wore a heart rate monitor yesterday. I weigh around 125 and checked my heart rate the beginning, after triangle, before floor series, after spine series and at the end. It said i burned 433 calories. Way less than what online calculators say.