Greek yogurt sheds pounds?

Options
Has anyone lost weight eating plain Greek FF yogurt?

My plan is to eat an 18 oz container with 1 T almond butter(for fat), a sprouted English muffin, and a handful of berries over the course of the day which comes out to 550 calories. This allows me 650 cals for dinner (lean meat, veggies, whole grains). Has anyone eaten similarly?

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt! Try freezing some for an especially yummy treat. Beware, though. Make sure the brand you choose has more grams of protein than grams of sugar. Even the plain varieties differ greatly.

I've lost weight, but not eating an entire 18 oz container in one sitting. I'm more of a mix it up kinda person - usually only 4 - 6 oz at a time.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great breakfast, but you would be missing out on a lot of other nutrients you need, both by limiting the foods you eat and by eating so little every day.

I urge you to think more about this.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Have fun!
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Have fun!

Lol what?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    At 550 cals/day you will quickly lose fat, lose muscle, burn out, and feel like *kitten*. Statistically, you will rebound and gain everything back.

You will greatly increase your odds of long term success by following a healthy balanced diet with a moderate calorie deficit.

Eta: no food "sheds pounds"; eating a calorie deficit sheds pounds. Doing it at a good pace and starting good sustainable habits is what keeps the pounds off.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    By "This allows me to not worry about dinner (lean meat, veggies, whole grains)." do you mean...

a) You won't be eating dinner at all, or
    b) You will have a calorie buffer to eat whatever you please at dinner?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Is this all you'll eat all day? Why would you do this?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You know what sheds pounds? A calorie deficit.

There is no food that will magically make you lose weight. Greek yogurt may substitute for a different meal that would be higher in calories. That difference may help you create a calorie deficit and therefore help you lose weight.
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Nope, I would eat a well rounded dinner. I'm having a horrible time watching my calories and I feel like this is sort of a last resort to keeping my calories low. This is so hard
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nope, I would eat a well rounded dinner.

Oh good. Totally misunderstood you before.

Bottom line as long as you're hitting close to your calorie target and your macros you will succeed.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    Nope, I would eat a well rounded dinner. I'm having a horrible time watching my calories and I feel like this is sort of a last resort to keeping my calories low. This is so hard

With only 13-14 lbs to lose, you don't need to eat so little to lose weight.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    What kind of a calorie goal are you aiming for each day?
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    1200 cals a day not eating my exercise cals back (that doesn't seem to work for me)
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Well, that's why you're so hungry.

Did MFP recommend 1,200, or did you come up with that number?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You should rethink your goals here. 1200 is not enough for most people, especially with so little to lose. Try setting your weight loss goal to either 1/2 or 1 pound per week. That should give you more calories to eat, but you will still lose weight.
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Well, that's why you're so hungry.

Did MFP recommend 1,200, or did you come up with that number?

MFP recommended 1200
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    You should rethink your goals here. 1200 is not enough for most people, especially with so little to lose. Try setting your weight loss goal to either 1/2 or 1 pound per week. That should give you more calories to eat, but you will still lose weight.

This. And eat back your exercise calories.
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    I've suffered from anorexia before and subsequently fell into binge eating. I feel like i have no control over what I put into my mouth. I need a go-to breakfast and lunch to have or else all goes to hell. Any suggestions?
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is not a magic elixir. It just better for you than traditional yogurt because it's higher in protein and usually has less sugar. However eating barely 600 calories all day is not healthy.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I need a go-to breakfast and lunch to have or else all goes to hell. Any suggestions?
    What you suggested sounds great, but you need to increase your total calorie goal -- especially if you're hungry.