Freezing soup....question

Options
porka29
porka29 Posts: 868 Member
I made a batch of Bear Creek soup the other day and being that we're not eating like we used to - I don't want to chuck it so I was thinking of freezing it as I've heard some on hear say they do. I don't have enough bowls with lids to freeze, would measuring it into a freezer bag be acceptable?

Replies

• porka29
    Options
    I made a batch of Bear Creek soup the other day and being that we're not eating like we used to - I don't want to chuck it so I was thinking of freezing it as I've heard some on hear say they do. I don't have enough bowls with lids to freeze, would measuring it into a freezer bag be acceptable?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    The freezer bags work great for soups/sauces.
    Now I have to know what Bear Creek soup is?
  • Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    I do that, I'll messure 1 cup of my homemade soup, & Zip lock it...
    When you are hungry the day after, you leave it out in a pot, for 30 minutes & it should dethaw.
    & Voila.... You save so much $$$$
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do that. Just remember to remove as much air as possible from the bag.:flowerforyou:
  • porka29
    Options
    Thank you all!

Broccoli and Cheese :happy:
  • GettingThin08
    Options
    Get this thing called press n seal and place it in the container then put your soup in it and it will freeze great!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    The freezer bags work great for soups/sauces.
    Now I have to know what Bear Creek soup is?

Just the BEST, QUICKEST, EASIEST soup to make in the world!!

It comes in a pouch, just add water and boil/cook for 10 - 15 minutes (depending on the soup). They have the BEST clam chowder, just add clams (and I add corn too).

Costs about $2.50-$3.00 for the pouch, makes like 6-8 BIG servings.

Wonderful stuff!!!

Thank you all!

Broccoli and Cheese

I have that in a storage container in my fridge RIGHT NOW. Had a bowl of it and a baked potato covered in it for dinner the other night. Yum-may!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Hijacking for a moment to say "cute new hair Lauryn!" I did not even recognize you at first! Is it naturally curly and do you wear it curly short? Mine is almost the same, curly, sometimes I flat iron it sometimes not.

Ok, back to soup! I'm thinking about making Italian Wedding soup for dinner at my moms tomorrow.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!

Broccoli and Cheese :happy:
    One thing I've heard is a couple things that change when you freeze them are potatoes and cheeese, cream sauces etc...the consistancy is altered.

Wanted to add that so you'd know ...but hopefully someone else will jump in to share they've frozen cheese with no problem!:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:

Oh I just now found a link about which items freeze well, I'll post it here and I think I'll post it on it's own thread so others can read about which foods freeze well and which don't freeze as well.

http://cookingresources.suite101.com/article.cfm/what_foods_cant_be_frozen
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Hijacking for a moment to say "cute new hair Lauryn!" I did not even recognize you at first! Is it naturally curly and do you wear it curly short? Mine is almost the same, curly, sometimes I flat iron it sometimes not.

Thanks!! It's en extremely different look on me. When warm summer rolls back around (or even the 60* weather this weekend :wink: ), I'll go back to wearing it curly some. It's got natural wave to it, and I blow it straight most days.

I donated the 8''-10'' that was cut to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program. They make free wigs for female cancer patients. (Okay, actually I'll be mailing in the ponytail this weekend sometime. Haven't mailed it yet.)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

Question -- do you have to freeze it? Will it not keep in the fridge for a week?
  • porka29
    Options

Question -- do you have to freeze it? Will it not keep in the fridge for a week?

I notice that the longer it sits the waterier (word?:tongue: ) it gets and I really like it after that first day and there are way too many servings to let sit, so I baggeed it up and put it in the freezer.