I can't keep my sugar intake low!

Options
I'm a self-proclaimed chocoholic, and taking the advice I've found on the internet, I've phased it out slowly and replaced my sweet tooth with fruit and homemade fruit+veggie juice. I'm finding, however, due to the fruit, my sugar intake is still about double what MFP reccommends, and I'm almost positive sugar has been the reason for my weight problem (I've always eaten pretty healthy, except for sugar binges).

How do you all control your sweet cravings, besides fruit and other sugary foods? Help please!

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you can't go without chocolate, have you tried sugar free chocolate? Or even Skinny cow? Also might even try toast and nutella if you can do nuts.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I still go over my sugar intake but with fruit and I'm okay with that.

I'm a super sweet-aholic...cookies, cakes, chocolate...I can't say no. But I just decided, if I'm really going to lose the weight, then I had to stop eating it. period.
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree. If it's with fruit, I'm not too worried. But I found that if I have ANY kind of chocolate, I set up a craving for it & lose in the end.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    cold turkey
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey, huh?

It's so weird. I quit smoking a few years ago, cold turkey, no major problems. I mean, it was hard, but I suppose I just replaced it with chocolate. 40 pounds later... I find myself having the same issue with a different addiction! Oh the irony...
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about naturally occurring sugar either - just the processed stuff. If you are like I was you are craving processed sugar - the more you have the more you want! I don't each much of it anymore and the cravings have gone. Wasn't easy giving it up but very worthwhile! I've had a half eaten chocolate bar in the fridge since October and I had a couple of squares at Christmas - could never have done that before!
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try to limit the fruit to twice and day and no fruit after 2 or 3 in the afternoon, Also I try to time fruit consumption close to a work out to burn that off...

Also find really good chocolate (the higher the cocoa content the better) if you really need it and treat yourself once a day...
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I deleted my sugar column. I feel much better now:)
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I deleted my sugar column. I feel much better now:)

Thats one way to do it. Haha... maybe I should do the same.
  • Tenoreo90
    Options

LOL
  • DreamerNicole
    Options
    These are recipes from the diabetic diet I try to follow. If you limit yourself to ONE a day and stick to the serving size...or hald it and have it as a snack twice a day your sugars shouldn't be high at all. Apples are REALLY sugary so avoid those if you can.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/wake_up_smoothie.html - berry smoothie

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tropical_fruit_smoothie.html - topical smoothie

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/low_sugar_plum_spread.html - sweet plum spread [ great on whole wheat toast!]

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/berry_rich_muffins.html [ these are great for a sweet tooth ] berry muffins.
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    I don't worry about naturally occurring sugar either - just the processed stuff. If you are like I was you are craving processed sugar - the more you have the more you want! I don't each much of it anymore and the cravings have gone. Wasn't easy giving it up but very worthwhile! I've had a half eaten chocolate bar in the fridge since October and I had a couple of squares at Christmas - could never have done that before!

Impressive! And soo true. I'm trying to give up processed sugar all together, everytime I say, "Oh, I'll just have one fun-size bar" if there's a bowl of it at work, nope. Never works. Especially when someone sees you and says, "Oh have you tried the ___ kind? Those are the best!"

I'm going to start claiming chocolate allergy....
  • hillybilly007
    Options
    Do u drink plenty of water??? Sometime that can help if u have a craving 4 something try drinking a glass of water first then waiting 10 min. before eating some sweet,or whatever or r craving. I used to have a really bad sweet tooth especially after dinner 4 some reason I Slowly stop eatin them lost the cravings. GOOD LUCK!
  • DreamerNicole
    Options
    I am allergic to chocolate! haha. it really cuts down on it!
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    It takes about three weeks to get over sugar addiction (my experience). However fruit and juice is, most of the time, just as bad so limit your intake. This video explains why sugar and foods that metabolize like sugar will make you gain weight.
    http://www.beyonddiet.com/bd/landing?food=avocado
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    sugar is like being a crack addict. you cant have just a little now and then. just get off it and stay away from it!!!
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    sugar is like crack. theres no moderation or substitute. clean yourself out, get off it and dont look back.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Fruit juices not so good, but those that tell you fruit is bad need to distinguish between readily available sugars like bananas and fruits that have a lot of fiber and take a while to metabolize. Read the studies, we do need fruits and vegetables in our diet and considering that scientifcally there is no such thing as a vegetable (they are all fruit technically) then do they only eat meat, lol, our bodies are not designed to only eat meat so be cool, moderate your sugar, but if it's natural sugar don't over stress if you go over the recommendation a bit. Just look for fruits or "vegetables" that offer you fiber and a more complex makeup.
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    While fruit do provide essential nutrients some fruit are better than others. Try low glycemic fruits ...google it. Excessive amounts of fruit will slow your weight loss. No advocating to eliminate fruits, just choose wisely.
    Plus check out this video...great information
  • Tenoreo90
    Options
    While fruit do provide essential nutrients some fruit are better than others. Try low glycemic fruits ...google it. Excessive amounts of fruit will slow your weight loss. No advocating to eliminate fruits, just choose wisely.
    Plus check out this video...great information

Thanks! I googled low glycemic fruits-had no idea canteloupe was low! That's exciting!