Traveling and Eating

Options
My work demands that I travel. Sometimes more than others. I need some healthy food options. Sometimes I'm driving for 8 to 10 hours. I really don't like stopping a burger joint so I try to take things with me to snack on or for my lunch. Any suggestions? It has to be handy and ready on the run. And when I arrive at my destination, I will either be in the middle of restaurant town or either there will be only a limited few to choose from. Any tips on eating out?

Replies

• Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Boy, do I feel you on this level.
    Here's what I've found. First, bring your own snacks. Like string cheese, turkey jerky, etc are some of my favs.
    Then if you do have to eat out, choose WISELY. A lot of chain places will have nutritional info posted. Sometimes THAT directs where I go! Places like Panera and my personal favorite Jimmy Johns!
    But if we're talking sit down places, then choose WISELY MORE. Some places, again, will have nutritional info (I love the Calorie King book - compact and nifty!) but other than that, get small portions - I get sides as meals A LOT - and salads, etc!

Hope that helped!
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How about taking along some nuts like almonds and maybe some air popped popcorn. Or that 97% fat free micro popcorn. Pop it before you leave the house and put it in a baggie. Will stay fresh for the day. Of course have your water. I'm liking these new "cuties" they are selling in Wal Mart...(California manderine oranges) you could peel a couple of those and eat through the day. You could snack on those and not be as hungry when you do stop as restaurant.
  • Run4Martini
    Options
    Man can I relate!

Just found out I am going to have to go on the road again! Just as I was getting into the eat-right-workout routine. Hotels are fine, but the gyms suck, finding a Goodlife (my gym) means running arround or taking taxis and the eating! ARRRGGG! Every day when we end everyone goes out for drinks and dinner together...I don't want to be rude, but It's never easy for me and the healthy choices in pubs are few!

I will try the tips suggested here. and I'll check back in for more help!