IS ANYONE HERE... USING AN APPETITE SUPPRESSANT?

Options
COMBINED WITH COUNTING CALORIES?
I'M THINKING ABOUT IT, CAUSE I GET REALLY HUNGRY :sad:

Replies

• 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    im taking system six.....got it at wholefoods.......seems to be doing great for me so far
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you'll find most MFP users are quite opposed to any pills that attempt to aid weight loss. Most of us are doing it the good old fashion way- eating well with a deficit, excercise. That said, if you are looking to try an aid, PLEASE go through your doctor.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    you'll find most MFP users are quite opposed to any pills that attempt to aid weight loss. Most of us are doing it the good old fashion way- eating well with a deficit, excercise. That said, if you are looking to try an aid, PLEASE go through your doctor.

Ditto that. :flowerforyou:

I've tried them a couple times and each time thought I was going to have a heart attack. Be very careful when taking those. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    IS ANYONE HERE... USING AN APPETITE SUPPRESSANT?

Not currently using an appetite suppressant
    But all it would take is a picture of my cottage cheese thighs.
    I'd lose my appetite pretty quickly. :sick:
    Actually, I think I just ruined my lunch.

:wink: We try various means to stave off those hunger pains without using appetite suppressants around here, generally speaking. I'm trying to add more protein to my diet because I'm starving all the time as well. I'm adding more liquid (water, Kool Aid) and chewing lots of gum.

And like Shannon said, be careful. Some of those pills are very unhealthy and can damage your internal organs.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I use several that works WONDERS for me:drinker:

1. Drink lots of water
    2. Excercise
    3. Eat mini meals 5-6 a day this keeps your metabolism boosted up and your blood sugars leveled out so you're not dipping up and down with sugar lows and highs which can make you very hungry, tired and cranky..perhaps if you're not eating often that might help if you add in healthy carb/protein combo snacks ever couple hours.

Those are my appetite suppresants:wink::flowerforyou:

Works fabulous for me... so in essence I suppose I do appetite suppresants since the above are completely chemical free (ok, well maybe not the water? lol) makes my choices even better and though they do have side effects,:ohwell: they are GREAT side effects!:laugh:

FC:heart:

Stick to the healthy (many on here do the 5-6 mini meals) and feed your body healthy foods and kick up the workouts and drink that water! You'll find you simply won't need them!:drinker: :tongue:
  • Mommy2Girls
    Mommy2Girls Posts: 100
    Options
    Appeitite suppressants are not a safe and healthy way to lose weight. There are no magic pills to stop hungry or help to lose weight. If you are feeling hungry have a cold glass of water with lemon or a herbal tea. Even having low cal snacks on hand or sugar free gum will help. Your body is obviously trying to tell you something if you are feel hungry often, perhaps increasing your cals or incorporating lean proteins at every meal will do the trick.
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! :flowerforyou:
    I WAS READY TO GO TO THE GNC AFTER WORK TO BUY SOMETHING THAT WOULD HELP ME CONTROL MY APPETITE, BUT I WILL FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL ALSO WORK FOR ME.
    I'VE BEEN HERE FOR A FEW WEEKS AND WAS DOING GREAT, UNTIL THIS PAST WEEKEND THAT I ATE LIKE A COW AND HAD CHINESE FOOD FRIDAY AND SATURDAY :cry: I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY CALORIES WHEN I LOGGED THEM IN THIS MORNING. :sad:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Another thing that I have found crucial to keeping my tummy from rumbling in between meals..

try complex carbohydrates - like whole wheat breads, multigrain pastas, brown rice, etc..

I find that if I eat white rice (think chinese food) or white pasta, I am starving in an hour, but the multigrain and whole wheat varieties keep me satisfied for several hours. I've gotten to the point now where I cringe when I see white pasta or rice. I know what it will do to me.

If you have trouble with whole wheat pasta (it does take some getting used to - although now I find it much more tasty than white) start with something like Barilla plus pastas. They have some whole grains, but are not as strictly whole wheat as some of the other pastas (and taste just like regular pasta - my kids don't know the difference and they won't eat the whole wheat pasta). It is a good way to wean yourself off the white stuff..

Good luck.. jb
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

most of the over the counter suppressants have caffiene as their main ingredient...
    try a nice cup green tea when you get hungry....avoid the pills...I use strong black coffee and green tea extract
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Ditto Ditto I guess the main thing is learning to control your hunger by eating foods high in fiber that are filling. Diet pills cant be forever and if its a portion control issue then you may slip back into old habits easy once you are not taking them anymore..I would take small steps and start by not allowing yourself to eat after a certain time at night.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I WAS READY TO GO TO THE GNC AFTER WORK TO BUY SOMETHING THAT WOULD HELP ME CONTROL MY APPETITE, BUT I WILL FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL ALSO WORK FOR ME.
    I'VE BEEN HERE FOR A FEW WEEKS AND WAS DOING GREAT, UNTIL THIS PAST WEEKEND THAT I ATE LIKE A COW AND HAD CHINESE FOOD FRIDAY AND SATURDAY :cry: I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY CALORIES WHEN I LOGGED THEM IN THIS MORNING. :sad:

the over eating on the weekend probably has little to do with actuallly being hungry just my opinion its lack of will power and bad choices...It willl take time to build will power and it will also take time to start learning better eating habits and making better choices ...even when you choose chinese you can simply get veggies and ask for only the very small rice...I even ask them to just omit the rice all together and add in more veggies...you will overcome this just be deteremined and keep promises to yourself ....
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    well there's nothing left for me to say everyone has already put up all the excellent suggestions I could think of
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I FULLY agree!!! You're not setting yourself up for long-term success by taking pills. The second you stop taking them you will have the same appetite as before, so it's a quick fix, but not a permanent fix. You'll be amazed by how quickly your body adjusts to fewer calories. Sure, a few days might be bad, but it's best to slowly ween your way off a larger amount of calories. I found when I started I took baby steps, like switching white bread for whole wheat, then white pasta for whole wheat, then introducing veggies, then making sure I took in the right amount of water....before you know it, you'll be feeling normal with just 1,200-1,500 calories.

PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY & HELP SUPPORT THESE BOGUS COMPANIES!! You'll just be another statistic on those surveys showing that Americans spend billions each year on diet products. Invest that money you'd use on the pills on a new bike, a gym membership, weights, ANYTHING!!
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options

Ditto that. :flowerforyou:

I've tried them a couple times and each time thought I was going to have a heart attack. Be very careful when taking those. :flowerforyou:

THAT'S HOW I FELT WHILE TAKING SLIM QUICK :sick:
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options

the over eating on the weekend probably has little to do with actuallly being hungry just my opinion its lack of will power and bad choices...It willl take time to build will power and it will also take time to start learning better eating habits and making better choices ...even when you choose chinese you can simply get veggies and ask for only the very small rice...I even ask them to just omit the rice all together and add in more veggies...you will overcome this just be deteremined and keep promises to yourself ....

THANK YOU... YOU ARE SO RIGHT. I AGREE WITH YOU. :sad:
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    I FULLY agree!!! You're not setting yourself up for long-term success by taking pills. The second you stop taking them you will have the same appetite as before, so it's a quick fix, but not a permanent fix. You'll be amazed by how quickly your body adjusts to fewer calories. Sure, a few days might be bad, but it's best to slowly ween your way off a larger amount of calories. I found when I started I took baby steps, like switching white bread for whole wheat, then white pasta for whole wheat, then introducing veggies, then making sure I took in the right amount of water....before you know it, you'll be feeling normal with just 1,200-1,500 calories.

PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY & HELP SUPPORT THESE BOGUS COMPANIES!! You'll just be another statistic on those surveys showing that Americans spend billions each year on diet products. Invest that money you'd use on the pills on a new bike, a gym membership, weights, ANYTHING!!

THANK YOU... I DECIDED TO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY... I REALLY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA, BUT AFTER READING WHAT YOU GUYS HAD TO SAY, I KNEW IT WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO. :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    don't waste your money buying anything over the counter- If you were serious you should talk to your doctor- Just be advised that you have to be in the OBESE range for your doctor to perscribe and they would/should only give you 2 month supply and thats it and you will have to teach yourself to eat correctly and workout-
    Some doctors don't even believe in them they believe in good old fashioned exercise and eating right.

The more your workout the less hungry you will get- Try working out harder drink some water. eat denser heavier foods.
  • 1sweet_dreamer
    Options
    I JUST WANT TO SAY "THANK YOU" TO ALL OF YOU... YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! HONESTLY I WAS READY TO GO BUY SOMETHING AFTER WORK... THANK GOD I DECIDED TO ASK FOR YOUR OPINION BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING. I FEEL VERY HAPPY TO BE HERE. YOUR SUPPORT AND ADVICE IS VERY APPRECIATED. :flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options

most of the over the counter suppressants have caffiene as their main ingredient...
    try a nice cup green tea when you get hungry....avoid the pills...I use strong black coffee and green tea extract

I agree, Dave. I've been fighting the "before dinner" cravings this week with a nice hot cup of Bigelow Green Tea!!! It works for me!!