Oatmeal ideas?

Options
I have done well with eating oatmeal almost everyday. I mostly eat the instant kind, but I am a little bored with the flavors. I have some quick oats...any ideas to give them flavor?

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have done well with eating oatmeal almost everyday. I mostly eat the instant kind, but I am a little bored with the flavors. I have some quick oats...any ideas to give them flavor?

Instant Oatmeals are horrible for people. I use the Quaker oats Quick ones that you cook on the stove. They only take a minute. Today I chopped up an apple, put the apple pieces in a bowl with a LITTLE (not much) water, and some cinnamon. I microwave the apples for 2-3 minutes until tender and add them to my oatmeal. Sometimes I will add raisins, Libby's canned 100% pumpkin, or banana. I usually add a little bit of brown sugar because otherwise it doesn't have much flavor. Hope that helped!
  • amonkey9
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/

try this website, she has a page especially for oatmeal recepies.

Also try baking oatmeal with some friut or berries mixed in....yum!
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    I admit I use instant--but I love the other kind too. Try some dark chocolate chunks (nestle) and berries
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    1/2 tbsp of peanut butter (or more if you have the calories) or a little nutella. Any kind of fruit or even 1 tbsp of flavored coffee creamer if you use it.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Spray butter and splenda here, I sometimes add a little bit of protein powder too.
  • TTBMILLER
    TTBMILLER Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i visited a dietitian last week, and she suggested a tbsp of peanut butter with oatmeal to make sure you get the protein with the carbs. i had never heard of that before, but it tastes pretty good.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Try not to use instant!! It's very processed and typically contains a ton of sugar, and very little fiber compared to the whole variety.

I'd use the whole rolled oats, microwaved with any combination of the following:

1) Pumpkin puree, cinnamon, vanilla

2) Almond Butter, frozen blueberries

3) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Chopped Bananas, Walnuts

4) A dollop of plain Greek Yogurt, Cranberries, and Pepitas

5) Crystallized Ginger, a *tiny* bit of Brown Sugar, and Grapefruit Sections

6) Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Dried Cherries, Peanut Butter

7) Sliced Honeycrisp Apples, Cinnamon, Peanut or Almond Butter

8) Cottage Cheese (or Greek Yogurt) and Equal or Stevia. Sounds gross, but trust me. It's awesome.
  • jchapman1957
    jchapman1957 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal most mornings for breakfast. 1 cup of rolled oats and 2 Tbs dried cranberries in a bowl with 1 3/4 cups water and then microwave for 8:30 on power level 5. When it's done, I add Walden Farms Zero Calorie Strawberry Syrup, Sugar Twin and FF Half n Half. Walden farms also has zero calorie maple syrup which works well in oatmeal with diced apple and raisins.
  • LetYourLightShine
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of honey apple butter, some chopped up apples, and a dash of cinnamon. Yummy!
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I always ate oatmeal as a kid (lots of sugar & cream) until I found out I was diabetic. I hated it without sugar & stopped eating it until recently. My son told me to try Mrs Butterworths Sugar Free Syrup - I did & I love it again! I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (they take about 5 min to cook) I eat 1/2 cup w/1 tbsp craisins,1 tbsp evaporated milk, 3 Splenda & its sweet & tasty!
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try some Smuckers all fruit in a flavor you enjoy!
  • snkeller24
    Options
    oatmeal and the pumpkin filling (unsweetened)!! yummy. I don't use "instant" oatmeal. Look for old fashioned or raw style oatmeals
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i like coconut and raisins myself the coconut adds the sweet without adding sugar i usually add some nuts i don't know what the calorie count is though that is before mfp lol
  • mzdiddy
    Options
    I add 3-5 chocolate chips and a small handful of dried cranberries. Yum!
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin and pumpkin spices...mmmmm....
  • tatiaragon
    Options
    I chop up half an apple and add some raisins in mine :).
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    some people cut up fruit and put it in. i always mix a bit of cinnamon in wiht the dry oats before i cook them. i treat myselfwith brown sugar for it as well but a lot of people arent down with that. iv heard of putting raisins in - do you like raisins? i guess you just gotta play around with it !
  • healthyyme
    healthyyme Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Almond butter, raisins, banana. enough said.
  • KSB50
    KSB50 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like oatmeal with blueberries and a little brown sugar. Nuts are a nice addition but high calorie. Also, sometimes I use dried fruit instead of berries -- dried cherries or apricots. For variety, sometimes I'll use maple syrup for my sweetener. In the summer, I love adding nectarines and peaches. Cut-up pears or apples are good too. I love my oatmeal!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I know you said you were getting board with instant, but I have started eating healthy oats brand instant oatmeal. It has flaxseed in it and the flavors they offer are awesome.

When I do make quick cook oatmeal I add bananas, raisins or sometimes light maple syrup.