whats the first thing you did after your divorce???

Options
denisegolden
denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
i am just at the beginning! but i am a plan maker, and am taking ideas...lol...friday my papers will be drawn and ready for the serving. soon to be ex should be served monday morning...he swore i would never have the guts to do this, and even though it took a very long time...i am doing it...so give me your thoughts...how did you celebrate yours?

Replies

• skatermom503
    Options
    I am so proud of you, Denise. This takes so much courage and strength. I hope you are doing well. Mine was so long ago and my kids were little so don't remember doing anything but moving to another house since he moved right behind the one I was in. I hope the boys are doing well. And know you are a strong woman and don't deserve all the crap you had to take. It is not a failure, it is a new beginning for all of you. You should be excited about what your future holds. But be careful. Monday the hubby is going to be pissed. Watch your back, girl!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i am just at the beginning! but i am a plan maker, and am taking ideas...lol...friday my papers will be drawn and ready for the serving. soon to be ex should be served monday morning...he swore i would never have the guts to do this, and even though it took a very long time...i am doing it...so give me your thoughts...how did you celebrate yours?

Just do whatever it is that makes you happy! Send him a condolence card maybe?? Just kidding! Grab a friend and a couple of beers, a dinner, a movie, etc. Good luck to you on your new journey as a single woman! :drinker:
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    My ex dragged out our divorce over 2 years, hopefully you get closure long before then!

I celebrated at a 4 star restaurant for lunch right after I left the courthouse.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Mine was over 18 years ago but I danced through Civic Plaza (located next to the court house) with my papers in hand!

Now I'm happily married. :love:
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This may surprise, but my ex and I were so young and didn't have kids, houses, etc., and didn't hate each other. We went for a wonderful, expensive lunch at a waterfront restaurant in Ft Lauderdale and had fresh strawberry daiquiris as I recall....like 28 years ago...

-Terri O
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Go get laid!!! :tongue:
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    We signed our papers in September and I'm expecting divorce to be final any day now! I can't wait! I'm totally going to treat myself with night out having nice dinner/drinks!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm, yeah.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I can't remember. But I think that in itself is a very good thing!
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    Well, the day I was told it was final. I cried. lol :) Then, celebrated by going out with friends and dancing! I then decided to start dieting to lose weight and become happy again with myself! It's only been a little over 5 months since it was final and I'm doing fine!

It sucks. I still hurt sometimes but apparently it's what was meant to be! Good luck with your journey and live it up!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Went out with a friend of mine, we got tattoos, went out for grub and got drunk. His wife came to pick us up from a bookstore we had wandered into.... :drinker:
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Never gotten divorced, but if I did I'd get laiiiiiiiid to celebrate.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I didn't celebrate. I mourned for a decade. And I grew to be morbidly obese. Just move on. Don't take yourself into the abyss.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    ...how did you celebrate yours?
    :huh: celebrate??? what exactly is there to celebrate with a broken relationship. The day papers were exchanged was not a day I thought of as one to celebrate.

guess we're all different that way......:ohwell:
    Ummmmm, yeah.
    I didn't celebrate. I mourned for a decade. And I grew to be morbidly obese. Just move on. Don't take yourself into the abyss.
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    My ex and I had dinner with our kids, it was VERY bittersweet, we still love each other, but circumstances just didn't let it happen. But soon after I went to a High School Reunion and had sex with a high school crush.
  • sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I didnt celebrate the day my divorce came through, I was just really sad it hadnt worked out. But I got a tattoo to remind me what is important in my life, and then I started living life properly... For me.. I have been single for 5+ years and have had loads of amazing experiences that I wouldnt have had if married. Make a bucket list of all the things you would love to do, and work your way through it x
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It was a relief for me that it was over. My ex was abusive and very controlling, down to my hair and clothes etc. He hated blonde hair and short hair - mine was down to my hips because that's how he liked it. So I went to the hairdresser, and went blond and cut half it off! :) Felt great.
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ...how did you celebrate yours?
    :huh: celebrate??? what exactly is there to celebrate with a broken relationship. The day papers were exchanged was not a day I thought of as one to celebrate.

guess we're all different that way......:ohwell:
    Ummmmm, yeah.

It's different for everyone. When first separated I cried a lot. I had a 2 year old and never wanted him to have a broken home. I went to technical school, got a good job and 18 months later when the divorce was final I went drinking and dancing with friends. One of my girlfriends' divorce was final the same day. We partied together and are still good friends. I'm married now to my REAL husband and life is good. Make a life, don't settle for anything less than you deserve. You deserve love and happiness!
  • sidhe31
    sidhe31 Posts: 96
    Options
    I didn't really celebrate the day my papers came through. I spent much of the day laughing at the absurdity of the situation and then proceeded to spend the next 3 days taking care of what fed my soul (not just my body). 3 days of riding my bike in a new place, hanging out with a good friend who wanted to just share thoughts and company. It was one of the best ways possible to mark the end of a period of my life that came close to destroying me, by fuelling the rebirth of myself.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Even though I initiated my divorce, it still HURT...that all he cared about was how much money I made. I'm glad that I don't have to settle anymore. Everyone deserves to be happy. I don't remember exactly, probably went to work....like any other day, lol