eating every 3 hours and losing

Options
2»

Replies

• ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have never intentionally tried eating every three hours in order to lose weight but when I lost weight on Weight Watchers, I was literally eating all the time, definitely every three hours and I lost 20 pounds in about 6 or 8 weeks. So I believe that it can work, depending on what it is you are eating. You obviously can't eat a lot of calories every 3 hours but I was snacking through the day on fruits, vegetables, and low calorie treats.

What Robin said above is the same thing that happened with me when I was on Weight Watchers. I have recently started doing this again, because I have a really bad habit of not eating between lunch and until after I go to the gym. If I go to the gym and I haven't eaten for 6 hours, I just about pass out. I just find it's easier for me to eat about every 3 hours or so. I never get overly hungry.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Well I do eat every 3 hours usually. Breakfast around 6-7, snack around 9-10, lunch around 12, snack around 2-3, dinner around 5-6, another snack around 9. :D I just eat when I'm hungry honestly.

But I eat about 1500-1700 calories most of the time. I started at 229 and now i'm 176. I'm 5'3.5". Oh and I usually exercise 30-60 minutes per day which I guess was about 350-700 calories burned when I first started, now 250-600ish.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has been doing the eating every 3 hours thing. Also has anyone lost weight doing it with calories around 1100 a day, and workout burning 895 a day? I am 5 foot 2 inches and weigh 204. Anything positive would be great. I am following what th edr put me on I have Congested heart failure and must more this weight off. Thanks so much also I need more friends for support so please send me a friend request.
    Hopefully your minimum is 1200 calories net per day and that 895 is eaten back. As for the 3 hour eating, it's personal choice, but what it boils down to is if you are in calorie deficit by the end of the day. Whether you do it by eating every 3 hours or in just 2 meal total won't matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I would think that if she only ate 1100 calories and didn't eat that 895 calories, she would have lost more than 3lbs. Considering she joined in Nov, 2011. Something is missing from the story here
    LOL I have not dropped down to 1100 calories nor have I worked off 895 calories. I had someone tell me to do this but I wanted to get imput from people who know first. Maybe learning from other what to do and not to do so that I am as healthy as possible going into this.

The advice is just odd. How did "this person" come to the 1100 calorie and 895 figures? At 205lbs, that won't be your BMR. And do you know how hard it is to burn 895 calories everyday?
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options

lolz what broscience, increased meal frequency does have a metabolic advantage

Broscience%25252BMeal%25252BFrequency%25252BDiet%25252BThe%25252BRock%25252Bwww.leangains.com.jpg

broscience-alan-aragon-e1276617690872.jpg

Acg: These are getting better every day!
  • loserforlife
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has been doing the eating every 3 hours thing. Also has anyone lost weight doing it with calories around 1100 a day, and workout burning 895 a day? I am 5 foot 2 inches and weigh 204. Anything positive would be great. I am following what th edr put me on I have Congested heart failure and must more this weight off. Thanks so much also I need more friends for support so please send me a friend request.
    Hopefully your minimum is 1200 calories net per day and that 895 is eaten back. As for the 3 hour eating, it's personal choice, but what it boils down to is if you are in calorie deficit by the end of the day. Whether you do it by eating every 3 hours or in just 2 meal total won't matter.

IDEA Fitness member

I would think that if she only ate 1100 calories and didn't eat that 895 calories, she would have lost more than 3lbs. Considering she joined in Nov, 2011. Something is missing from the story here
    LOL I have not dropped down to 1100 calories nor have I worked off 895 calories. I had someone tell me to do this but I wanted to get imput from people who know first. Maybe learning from other what to do and not to do so that I am as healthy as possible going into this.

The advice is just odd. How did "this person" come to the 1100 calorie and 895 figures? At 205lbs, that won't be your BMR. And do you know how hard it is to burn 895 calories everyday?

The suggestion came from a heart doctor and the calories can be burned off easier than you think. with just 2 20 minute sessions on the elliptical and 2 20 minute tae bo workouts. I was not sure if it was going to be safe although he is a doctor I just do not trust what was said. It is called a medical PRACTICE
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    google: Eat Clean Diet. yes you can lose weight eating every three hours as long as you are eating lean protein combined with a complex carb at each meal and watch your portions.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

The suggestion came from a heart doctor and the calories can be burned off easier than you think. with just 2 20 minute sessions on the elliptical and 2 20 minute tae bo workouts. I was not sure if it was going to be safe although he is a doctor I just do not trust what was said. It is called a medical PRACTICE

Depends on how intense those workouts are. Plus the fact that it's almost 1.5 hours of work every day.

Eh, try it and log it as 895 caloires, eat them back and see what happens. If your calculations are correct, you'll be losing on track.

But the 1100 calorie thing must be a very temp suggestion or the doctor doesn't know how to calculate BMR/BMI
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I dont know from personal experience...but eating every 3 hours sounds like a good idea. Because then youre never really "HUNGRY" for a full meal, just small portions all day long!

You got it! google: eat clean and make sure you are getting a lean protein combined with a complex carb at each mini meal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!