Picky Eater

I have been a picky eater ALL my life... for most of it I wouldnt eat ANY vegetables and I still have that problem though I try. I don't know what to do I know its a mind over matter thing. I will make certain foods even put it on my plate but in the end its still sitting there. I'm starting to break down mentally because i know i should be eating better. I just started this new journey of losing weight so i'm busting my *kitten* in the gym but its pointless if i'm not eating the right foods..

any help please

Replies

• nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    When I was a kid, we used to negotiate with my parents for how many bites we had to try of something we didn't like much. I remember negotiating about peas. "Five bites! No! Four! No! Three! Fine!" Now I buy and eat peas. We were also allowed to have sauces with some sharp-flavored things like broccoli.

I still do this kind of thing for myself with foods I am not so fond of. I'm not that big on tomatoes, but I try them all different ways to see if I like a certain kind (turns out the little ones called "grape tomatoes" are pretty good). I have never liked clams before, but I tried one the other day at a nice restaurant and it was pretty good.

So maybe make it a game of trying a few bites of things on multiple occasions.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Good on you for deciding to make a change -it is going to be much easier to eat a healthy range of foods if you will eat more variety.
    As a starter, how about picking just one new thing a week, find a recipe that you like the look of and give it a try. Don't make too much of it (unless you have someone else who will eat it!) just a little bit to try out. I think a lot of people think things like "I don't like asparagus" if they have only ever had tinned asparagus. But, fresh asparagus steamed with a squeeze of lemon juice and black pepper is like a whole different food.
    Or look for recipes and options for getting veggies into things like spaghetti sauce - grated zuccini just about disappears in there, and it's an easy way to get a few more veggies in there.
    Just try, you'll probably be surprised to find out that you do like lots of things, you just have to try them again!
  • amandanzgirl
    amandanzgirl Posts: 79 Member
    You have to make your vegies taste good by using low fat sauces, seasonings and other low fat additions.

Salads - disgise the vege with chopped up boiled egg or low fat cheese. Find a yummy low/ no fat dressing to add

Steamed brocolli - I almost always add grated (shreaded) low fat cheese to the top - yum!

Steamed/ roasted carrots - mix half tsp of honey with a little warm water and mix over the carrots, delish!

Roasted sweet potato, sooo good with a tsp of low fat sour cream

There are ways to make veggies taste a better, you will just have to experiment a little :)
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    THAT'S ME! See the other thread titled "I hate vegetables"

I responded with lots of ideas for fruits and veggies. :)