Diet drinks (soda/pop)

Options
2»

Replies

• d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Water is just the better decision to go with but that's just me. I use to drink sodas all day long whether diet or regular. Quit them and will only have them on ocassions like christmas, turkey day, etc. Even then i prefer water or even oolong tea which i get in Japan. I'm sure they sell them in the states too. Can't go wrong with water. I don't have that bloated feeling anymore.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    All soda, weather regular or diet are bad for you, causes belly fat.......I don't drink any soda at all.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in the fact that a calorie is a calorie. So 0 or 1 calorie drinks will not get you to gain weight. Some people claim that they're feeling more hungry when drinking diet soda, in that case it's the FOOD they eat as a result of that hunger that makes them gain weight. You can't gain weight from putting something that has zero energy in to your body. I have always had diet sodas (every day) and it has never affected my weight loss.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    The carbonation helps settle my stomach some, so I used to drink it a lot. What I am doing now is drinking Club soda (soda water) or Diet Ginger ale and mixing it with a packet of the store brand of Crystal Light. It only has 5 calories in it, and the club soda or Diet ginger ale has no calories. It is awesome and tastes amazing.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You can find studies that support anything. Weight is gained by over consuming calories (or some medical conditions). Diet soda has zero calories. It cannot make you gain weight. If someone has cravings because of diet soda and falls to those cravings, it is because they did not have the will power to say no, not because they drank diet soda.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    even though there are no calories in diet drinks, any carbonated beverage causes excess gas in your stomach, thus causing it to stretch out. I recently had abdominal surgery and was told by my doctor that because of carbonated soda's, most americans stomachs are 1.5 to 2.0 times larger than they should be. A larger stomach means that you eat more before you get full, thus causing you to gain weight.

I am going to go out on a ledge here and say my large stomach that got me to 560 lbs. wasn't because I drank a few bottles of diet pepsi a day and probably had more to do with the 3 Big Mac, 2 Large Fries and Large strawberry shake ( I ate on a daily basis) or maybe the 21 inch pizza (every other day) a would buy and break done in tupperware bowls and hide in the wall in closet and gorge myself on after eating 3 or 4 meals that day and probably the boxes of Little debbie swiss cakes (2 or 3 boxes a week) oh and the endless bags of Doritoes.... i highly doubt it had anything what so ever to do with me drinking diet soda...... just my 2 cents.......
  • The_Finja
    The_Finja Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Diet soda will just make you hungry, so, it wont make you gain weight, but it will make it harder for you as you will crave food.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Diet soda will just make you hungry, so, it wont make you gain weight, but it will make it harder for you as you will crave food.

What if I drink it when I am hungry?
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    They won't make you gain weight or hinder your weight loss, but that doesn't mean they're healthy.

I drink a lot of diet soda though - I am trying to cut down on the amount though, because it's not healthy. I use it to satisfy my cravings for sweet, it doesn't give me cravings though, as many people claim it can.

By the way, when I drink water, it is usually carbonated. And in the winter I love to drink fruit or herbal teas to keep me warm (usually 2L / day).

Honestly, I am pretty skeptical of claims that don't seem to make sense to me (if diet soda really caused belly fat, then I should have a lot more belly fat than I do, or if it gave people cravings, my cravings should be really bad most days, but they're not), though it doesn't take a study to convince me that diet soda isn't exactly healthy. It's just a 'healthier' alternative to regular soda for me.
  • The_Finja
    The_Finja Posts: 38 Member
    Options

What if I drink it when I am hungry?

If you drink when you are hungry the liquid going in will fill your stomach so you will feel full for a while. But as you body starts to see the fake sugar in you system, it thinks it real sugar and will ramp up. The problem is, that your body is fooled and you insulin levels will be off because your body is trying to breakdown sugar that isn't there and you will crave food instead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    If you drink when you are hungry the liquid going in will fill your stomach so you will feel full for a while. But as you body starts to see the fake sugar in you system, it thinks it real sugar and will ramp up. The problem is, that your body is fooled and you insulin levels will be off because your body is trying to breakdown sugar that isn't there and you will crave food instead.
    This is unfounded by clinical studies. People here need to do actual research from peer reviewed clinical studies and not take the word of article, bloggers, etc unless they have the actual clinical studies to show actual causation and not just correlation.

Diet soda is fine if in moderation and not your main source of water intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alucard835
    alucard835 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is filled with all kinds of chemicals and preservatives. It's better to drink them very rarely or not at all.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get tired of just plain water so I drink 1 liter bottles of flavored seltza water. Made the switch from soda and got my kids on board too. much better than all the junk in soda. Also I drink Snapple diet iced tea. Great flavors!
  • maraelise201
    maraelise201 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The sugar substitute that they use in any diet drink has been linked to increasing your hunger especially for sugary food. This is I believe from recent studies and may be dis proven in studies to come. I think it is better to drink water but not everyone likes water and I personally need the caffeine. Any sugar substitute can have this effect not just diet soda. Just keep in mind when your drinking them that you may have a sugar craving latter and try hard not to give in.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    All soda, weather regular or diet are bad for you, causes belly fat.......I don't drink any soda at all.

So, its NOT a calorie excess that causes fat to be stored? Diet soda causes fat, and not just any fat, actual belly fat?

Sigh...
  • fan_jess_tic
    Options
    Diet sodas have alot of sodium in them. I am working on trying to even out the salt with drinking water on top of the diet cokes I drink. But doing just diet cokes, I still feel like I am thirsty most of the time hence the drinking water on top.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas have alot of sodium in them. I am working on trying to even out the salt with drinking water on top of the diet cokes I drink. But doing just diet cokes, I still feel like I am thirsty most of the time hence the drinking water on top.
    35 mg is a lot of sodium? Hmmm. Guess you don't eat anything without sodium then.

IDEA Fitness member
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Diet soda killed my dog
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    35 mg is a lot of sodium? Hmmm. Guess you don't eat anything without sodium then.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah I actually looked at the back of my diet coke can and thought "what's with the high sodium content outrage?"
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Way back when I switched from regular Pepsi to diet, it helped me lose 35 lbs. Obviously, because of all the sugar I wasn't taking in. I gained it back, due to laziness and poor eating habits. However, I did consistently find over the past few years that after drinking a diet pepsi I do feel a drop in blood sugar, which makes me think I need to eat.

This time around I've switched my diet entirely. I'm eating cleaner, and have cut from 6+ cans of diet pepsi a day to one. I find it helps stave off hunger pangs. If I don't drink the diet pepsi and stick to 1200 cals/day I feel satisfied all day and even a 300 cal meal feels too heavy.