Vegetable ideas?

Options
pmaxson
pmaxson Posts: 137
Hi,

We are big vegetable eaters at our house. We like just about everything, but we prefer it simple and fresh (not frozen) - roasted, steamed, baked, sauteed. No sauces, but we are ok with olive oil, garlic, seasonings. We like to taste the vegetables, not have it hidden behind sauces. I am in a veggie rut. Not sure if it is because it is winter.
We often have roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts, dry sauteed green beans, and salad. Any new ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    bump
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I love putting tomatoes, garlic, onion and zucchini both yellow and green in a crop pot and cook for around 4 hours...You can add other things too with them..That is my favorite..
  • artadvocate3
    artadvocate3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower. The texture is very similar to mashed potatoes.

Zucchini and Tomatoes- a southern delicacy
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My fave at this time of year is roast roast - large cubes of squash, sweet potato, parsnip, tossed in a little oil, tuck some sprigs of rosemary between. Roast in teh oven for 40-60 mins. Add some chunks of haloumi about 20 mins before the end of cooking.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Check out the cookbook entitled "Veganomicon." I've loved just about every single recipe I've tried in this book, and it has a lot of recipes! It utilizes very simple cooking techniques and the ingredients are supermarket-friendly.
  • robinfish
    Options
    We love oven roasted broccoli with a little olive oil, kosher salt, red pepper flakes and garlic. Also, steamed baby bok choi is yummy. I do several things with beets, including grating them on a salad, roasting in oven or matchsticks in sautes.
  • heatherterp
    Options
    i recently tried chayote. It was good. it is in the squash family. we grilled (even in winter) it with a little olive oil and mrs dash. I also found a baked chayote and sauteed recipe. check it out.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    My dinner for Friday night:
    Cauliflower Crusted Pizza & Roasted Cauliflower

http://www.eat-drink-smile.com/2011/04/cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
    http://www.acouplecooks.com/2011/01/roasted-cauliflower/

Also, try Foodgawker.com
    They have many awesome recipes from different sites/blogs!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Quinoa cooked with onion. Broil chopped zucchini & squash for 5-8min or until you can put a fork in it, then drizzle w/ a little evoo and salt & pepper to taste. Toss quinoa, zucchini, squash finely chopped kale, halved cherry tomatoes, a little lemon juice, and feta cheese. Goes great with wild caught seared salmon.

Another quinoa dish is quinoa, & onion. When it's almost done add green & red bell pepper.
    When it's done add cilantro, lime juice, and diced tomatoes.

We like broiling thinly sliced zucchini, squash, & red potatoes together.
    Drizzle a little evoo add some fresh parmesan on top, or cook it like a veggie and cheese casserole.
    Tastes great with a bit of cream cheese.

Artichoke hearts, & red potatoes, baked with evoo, red wine Vinegar, garlic and fresh parmesan.
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Edamame is my FAVORITE!!

Also, bell peppers and hummus are a delicious combination!