Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Healthy Meal Ideas

csparon
csparon Posts: 200 Member
Ok guys, I am a 20-year-old living on my own and I am still experimenting with my culinary skills. I am trying to have a lean diet with veggies, but also not too bad on the wallet. I would like make-ahead meals as I work from 6:00AM-3:00PM. Breakfast and lunch are usually my problem areas.

What are your favorite recipes? I do a lot of cardio exercising but I seem to always over-do it on the sugar and not enough on the protein.

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    search for Baked Oatmeal. I just came across a recipe for it someplace on here.......I made it Monday AM and will have 4 days worth of breakfast out of it! It is really good.

Cant remember exactly, but the basic ingredients are:

Quick cooking oats
    brown sugar
    baking powder
    milk
    egg
    vanilla

I am sure there was a bit more..........plus you can add in whatever you like! I just re-heated a peice in the microwave for appx 40 seconds and it was just as good as the 1st day it came out of the oven!

For lunches I usually make a big pot of soup over the weekend and have that all week.

Dinner: Crockpot! again, do a search, tons of recipes and ideas on here!!

Good luck!
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Have a look at http://www.skinnytaste.com/

We get a lot of great ideas from there.
  • These are some of my favorite easy recipes to make
    Pizza Margherita
    Yield: Serves 4 - 6
    Prep Time: 30 mins
    Cook Time: 10 mins
    A thin crusted personal pizza from Naples, Italy.

Ingredients:
    1 Ready To Go Wheat Pizza Crust
    1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
    1/8 Cup Fresh Chopped Basil
    1/8 Cup Olive Oil
    Salt & Pepper
    Dash Red Pepper Flakes
    1 1/2Cups Diced Mozzarella Cheese
    2 Large Fresh Basil Leaves

Directions:
    To prepare the sauce, heat half the oil in a saucepan and cook the garlic until sizzling.
    Add the tomatoes, and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
    Add the chopped basil and mix well.
    Cook on low to medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, than set aside to cool.
    Heat the oven to it's highest setting (Usually 500 degrees F.)
    To prepare the dough, press each dough ball into a flat disk on a lightly floured counter or bread board.
    Using your fingers and knuckles carefully, press the dough out into a 12 inch circle.
    Place the dough onto a baking peel lightly coated with cornmeal.
    Place a large scoop of sauce onto each pizza and spread evenly across the pizza leaving a 1 inch edge.
    Do not use too much sauce as you should be able to see the dough through the sauce.
    Place some mozzarella cheese on each pizza and place one basil leaf in the center.
    Bake each pizza for about 10 minutes or until the pizza is brown and bubbly turning the pizza halfway if needed for it to bake evenly.

3 slices of pizza = 450 calories

MUSSEL MARINARA
    Ingredients
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup white wine
    1 pound mussels, cleaned and debearded
    8 ounces linguini pasta
    1 lemon - cut into wedges, for garnish

Directions
    In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil and saute garlic until transparent.
    Add tomatoes, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes to skillet; reduce heat to low to simmer for 5 minutes.
    Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and reserve.
    Add wine and mussels to skillet; cover and increase heat to high for 3 to 5 minutes or until mussel shells are open.
    Pour over hot pasta, sprinkle with parsley and squeeze lemon wedge over all. Garnish with remaining lemon and serve.

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 304
    Total Fat: 5.4g
    Total Carbs: 52.8g
    Protein: 13g

SALMON WITH FRUIT SALSA
    Ingredients
    2 cups chopped seedless watermelon
    1 1/2 cups cubed fresh pineapple
    1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
    4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets

Directions
    For salsa, in a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
    Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Sprinkle salmon with remaining salt and pepper. Place on grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn and grill 7-9 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve the salsa with a slotted spoon with salmon
  • Have a look at http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Agreed.. SkinnyTaste is Amazing..

But it is somewhat time consuming. I also have to prepare breakfast and lunch at work and also on a tight budget monthly.. So I'll give you some of my suggestions.

Breakfasts:
    Pouched Egg (in a cup in the microwave) on toast and fruit
    Oats and cinnamon and an apple
    Breakfast Wrap: Bacon, Egg and cheese in a wrap (I prepare these the night before)

Lunches:
    Toasted Chicken/Tuna Mayo and a Green Salad
    Leftovers from Dinner the night before - This is the easiest I think as I more often than not have extra and you're only cooking one meal a day then
    Chicken Wrap with Lettuce, Tomato, cucumber and Mayo
    Soup and a Seed Roll
    Fish and Chips (Sweet Potato Fries)
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Thanks everyone! I am updating my shopping list as we speak lol
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
  • there is a group on facebook called crock pot moms. meals that cook themselves so you have time to do other things
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Have a look at http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Love this website!!!