Does drinking water really work???

Options
Does drinking lots of water actually help with weight loss? As i only drink about 3 glasses (If that) of low calorie squash per day. I would LOVE to know if drinking water would help my weight loss. :huh:

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It helps in that it keeps your retained water down to a minimum.

It isnt some magical fat burning fluid. I never drink pure water, as there is simply no need. Just make sure you get your hydration, from any source, and its all good. Some say it helps you feel fuller, but it doesnt actually help fat loss by itself.
  • Jocelyn0415
    Jocelyn0415 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely! When I upped my water intake, I lost 4 lbs. and the bloat I had went away completely. I just started feeling better in general.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Definitely! When I upped my water intake, I lost 4 lbs. and the bloat I had went away completely. I just started feeling better in general.

Because you weren't getting enough fluid before, and it flushed out your water weight.

It also has a placebo effect for some people.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    It definitely works for me. I've plateaued the last couple weeks -- and I think its because I've simply cut back on my water intake. I go in spurts, and when mine is up'ed, I lose. When I drink less water, I don't.

It also helps when you're working out - proper hydration helps to flush the fat out and keeps your muscles hydrated. In other words, it keeps you burning what you don't want by helping what you do want to function at its fullest potential.

Up your water to half of your body weight in ounces of water a day (unless that takes you below the 64 ounce requirement, then hit that). You'll feel amazing, too!
  • Jocelyn0415
    Jocelyn0415 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Because you weren't getting enough fluid before, and it flushed out your water weight.

It also has a placebo effect for some people.
    Yes, that's exactly what it was. I know it flushes a lot of people out and they lose water weight. It doesn't work for everyone though. You shouldn't do it because it makes you lose weight, you should just do it because it's better for you.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on body size. A rule of thumb, 2/3 of your body consists of water, and it is the main component of the human body. Did you know that your tissues and organs are mainly made up of water? Here is the %:

•Muscle consists of 75% water
    •Brain consists of 90% of water
    •Bone consists of 22% of water
    •Blood consists of 83% water

The functions of water in human body are vital. The water:

•Transports nutrients and oxygen into cells
    •Moisturizes the air in lungs
    •Helps with metabolism
    •Protects our vital organ
    •Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
    •Regulates body temperature
    •Detoxifies
    •Protects and moisturizes our joints

Every cell in your body needs water from head to toe. That is why it is so important to drink enough fluid. Take for example, brain consists of 90% water, if you do not supply enough water to your body, your brain cannot function well, and you will get headache or migraine. Hence, next time, if you feel fatigue and headache, it may be the sign of dehydration.

As taken from: http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Drinking water "works" to keep you alive. Regardless of weight loss, you need to stay hydrated if you want your brain and other organs to function properly.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Drinking water "works" to keep you alive. Regardless of weight loss, you need to stay hydrated if you want your brain and other organs to function properly.

Remember though, it doesnt have to be consumed as neat water. Tea/coffee/soda/juice/milk etc, along with water rich foods like fruit and veg all provide the water you need.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    In addition to the sound points above, often when people snack they are actually thirsty and not hungry. Address the thirst and you may find it easier to eat less.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It definitely works for me. I've plateaued the last couple weeks -- and I think its because I've simply cut back on my water intake. I go in spurts, and when mine is up'ed, I lose. When I drink less water, I don't.

It also helps when you're working out - proper hydration helps to flush the fat out and keeps your muscles hydrated. In other words, it keeps you burning what you don't want by helping what you do want to function at its fullest potential.

Up your water to half of your body weight in ounces of water a day (unless that takes you below the 64 ounce requirement, then hit that). You'll feel amazing, too!

Water certainly doesn't "flush fat out" as if that were even possible. The body doesn't work that way. The key is to stay hydrated, and water can be helpful because it has less calories than coffee, soda or juice, otherwise there's no benefit to choosing water over any other drink.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Remember though, it doesnt have to be consumed as neat water. Tea/coffee/soda/juice/milk etc, along with water rich foods like fruit and veg all provide the water you need.

For sure some foods provide you with lots of water.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Absolutely true. If you're trying to lose weight, it is better to stick to water or no-calorie drinks like black coffee just so you're not drinking your cals. But all of those things do hydrate, you're right.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    Sharing from a article I keep nearby to remind me how important it is to stay hydrated. Drinking a 16 oz glass of water before meals really helps me from gorging on food to fast when I'm hungry. It sedates that "I've got to eat NOW!" feeling. :blushing:

75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. In 37% of Americans the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
    Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
    Drinking adequate water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer. It can also significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
    Article by Jim Carey - Raw Food Coach
  • DippyDoDar
    Options
    Yeah, I find that if I drink two glasses of water before meals I'm more full quickly. I don't have to eat much. Water is also good for the skin and for flushing toxins out of the kidney. So it's a win win win!
  • mgero212
    Options
    If you are working out a lot then you are going to need at least 6-8 glasses of water a day and it helps flush your system from other fluids you may consume. It also is great to drink water when eating your meats because it will also help you feel full so you don't over eat. I love water! It helps keep your skin hydrated to prevent break outs and to makes it look healthier.
  • MRudman
    MRudman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So if I haven't previously been drinking much water, and I weigh 180 on a 5' 3 frame, could that be the reason (aside from my weight) that my body always feels stiff, drained of energy, headachy, etc.? I mean I know about the water importance, but if I go a while without being conscious of how little I am drinking, I will find myself not drinking any. I have to really force myself to do it. Thanks!
    The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% water depending on body size. A rule of thumb, 2/3 of your body consists of water, and it is the main component of the human body. Did you know that your tissues and organs are mainly made up of water? Here is the %:

•Muscle consists of 75% water
    •Brain consists of 90% of water
    •Bone consists of 22% of water
    •Blood consists of 83% water

The functions of water in human body are vital. The water:

•Transports nutrients and oxygen into cells
    •Moisturizes the air in lungs
    •Helps with metabolism
    •Protects our vital organ
    •Helps our organs to absorb nutrients better
    •Regulates body temperature
    •Detoxifies
    •Protects and moisturizes our joints

Every cell in your body needs water from head to toe. That is why it is so important to drink enough fluid. Take for example, brain consists of 90% water, if you do not supply enough water to your body, your brain cannot function well, and you will get headache or migraine. Hence, next time, if you feel fatigue and headache, it may be the sign of dehydration.

As taken from: http://www.mangosteen-natural-remedies.com/benefits-of-drinking-water.html
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic for your skin. You can't get the same amount of hydration from other drinks in my opinion simply because you can't drink the same amount of other drinks without negative effects (black coffee-get the shakes after 4 glasses, juice-calories, diet drinks-aspartame is horrible for you, pop-just all wrong). Green tea, a bunch of water and maybe fresh juices here and there are prob the best idea).
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

I don't agree. Pure water is a necessity.
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    when starting out you should have the 8-10 cups of water a day as recommended. Its helpful to flush your kidneys and other organs with pure water from time to time. Other drinks cited here, though healthy, dont allow for the kidneys to flush as effectively. Your urine should be nearly clear if your kidneys have been flushed and are working to pull particulates from your blood stream, which aides in weight loss. (Coffee, mio, juice, gatorade, etc all have dyes and other molecular combinations in them that are filtered by the kidneys and digestive tract.)
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    While it's true that it is not a magical fat flush and doesn't actually accelerate your weight loss, it does help. It helps flush toxins and sodium out of your system that tend to bloat you and make your retain fluid, when drank in place of fluids with calories (even ones with low cals) it reduces your caloric intake, when drank in place of diet sodas (which are calorie free but full of unhealthy chemicals) it is a healthier option.
    For me though I do not find that drinking water helps me eat less. Although I have found if I drink water with/after a meal I don't tend to want to continue eating once I'm full since it flushes the taste of the food from my mouth.