Having trouble cutting out sugar!!

Options
I'm eating low-fat, and low-cal, but it seems that there is sugar in EVERYTHING!! I go over my alotted sugar intake by breakfast every day! And I'm not eating sweets at all....it's the regular foods that are killing me. I've had to cut out the skim milk because it has too many grams of sugar. I'm just so surprised at how difficult it is to hit that goal. Anybody have any tips?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about it. Unless you have diabetes, or a similar metabolic disorder, sugar doesn't matter. Total calories do.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Why are you worrying about low-fat? Low-fat foods typically do have sugar and/or salt in them to make them taste better since they took out all the fat. Fat isn't bad for you.

That said, sugar isn't bad for most people either. Why are you worried about the sugar?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i usually go over on sugar too, but it is usually from fruit..my main concerns are cals and sodium..sodium is my downfall, but as sugar, it is in EVERYTHING !! i say dont worry too much about it..good luck
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Stop worrying about it. Unless you have diabetes, or a similar metabolic disorder, sugar doesn't matter. Total calories do.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)
  • melonerski
    melonerski Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem! i don't understand it because im really not eating anything that i shouldn't and all i drink is water. its insane!!!!!! i understand the rare days when i drink coffee and physically add the sugar but other than that i dont get it. so frustrating! honestly, i think that mfp is off on how much sugar im allowed to have haha
  • NYCMom
    NYCMom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can find lower sugar cereals like Total or Cheerios to keep the sugar lower or even eggs for breakfast. I don't have diabetes but find the more sugar I eat, even if I stay in my calorie and fat allotment, I have a hard time losing weight.

You can find lower sugar breads as well. Flatbreads or wraps are great.

Most fruit has a lot of sugar, so thats where I go over.

As long as you aren't eating high sugar food with high calories you should be fine.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I go over sugar every day too, not due to low fat issues but still generally by lunch since I'll have a snack like greek yogurt with alot of sugar and I put a half tbsp of honey (ok I think I really put less but I know its no more then this and since I don't measure I estimate high)
  • dmjenni
    dmjenni Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not really worried as much as I'm just becoming aware of precisely how much of everything (fat, calories, sodium, sugar, etc) i'm consuming every day, since i've been logging in my foods. Thanks for all of the responses!
  • bkorman
    Options
    You'll find the "No Sugar Challenge" on the Clean Eating website www.thegraciouspantry.com/no-sugar-challenge/.
    I found it extremely helpful, anad full of advice and recipes. Good luck!
  • dmjenni
    dmjenni Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will check that out! Have a great day!:smile:
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Stop eating low-fat garbage. Fat will fill you up faster and better, and low-fat foods contain sugar to replace the fat.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I was searching the forums because I'm having the same problem too! I cut out all the sweets in my diet and every day I'm already WAY over my grams of sugar by lunch (based on my 1200 calorie diet). Hell, I even cut out the bread I was having at lunch to see if this made a difference and it didn't. Now I'm not sure what to tell you other than what the other folks are- don't worry about it so long as you're staying within your calorie range. (I'm going to have to have to take my own advice here too.) I think to the professor who did the Twinkie Diet eating almost only Twinkies every day for two months but staying within his caloric range each day. In those two months he LOST 27 pounds, proving that it's the calories that matter. I know it wasn't the answer you may have been looking for, but I hope it helps! :)
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Agreed! I'm always over 6 days out of 7 because I work out hard and drink a recovery drink that has 40 grams of sugar. Good sugars are fine and I stopped worrying about going over in that category. It's the calories I don't care to go over. You'll be fine. Stop worrying! :-)
  • sweetpeas2000
    sweetpeas2000 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend cutting out your milk/dairy intake. I would definitely choose nonfat or low fat versions of these, but the sugar in them is lactose, which is different from "table sugar". Milk is great for many reasons, such as bone health and protein.

As for sugar in general, I am always over the sugar limit suggested by MFP. I won't lie, I do eat things with sugar in it. Right now, my fall favorite is pumpkin pie (without crust). However, just keep in mind that you are tracking your calorie intake, sugar included. If you stay within a healthy range and you're including fruits, vegetables, and lean protein, then you shouldn't dwell on it so much unless you have health issues that require decreased sugar intake.
  • DaraEden
    DaraEden Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Doesn't suger convert to fat in the body though? That's what I'm worried about. I always go waaay above my suger 'goal'.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I go over every single day as well, mostly because of fruit. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I hate seeing that red number each day!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Doesn't suger convert to fat in the body though? That's what I'm worried about. I always go waaay above my suger 'goal'.

It can, but not something I'd be worried about
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I almost always go a little over on sugar...and I have diabetes. It doesn't seem to matter as long as I don't go overboard.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Diary closed. No comment.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Me too, so I swapped it out and don't track it anymore. Pick something else to track.....I do iron and calcium in addition to the biggies.