HRM Confusion

Options
I am having some serious confusion on with my new heart rate monitor. Polar FT60. I found it easy to setup and use.
I am in week one of a training week. I am 5'2", 182, 40 yrs old female. I set it to fat burn. Since I have 42 more lbs to lose.

Problem 1
I had read that the calories on the machines can be off at least 20%. But both the machines (home and Y ellipticals) are off over 35%. How can they be off that much compared to my HR monitor, I always enter age and weight on machines .

Problem 2
Staying in Zone 2 on the HRM for 60 minutes on the elliptical was so slow paced by the end my machine wanted to pause. Indicated that I was moving way to slow.

I usually do 60 minutes on the elliptical at the Y - and go 6 miles, LIfeFitness Model on level 9.
Yesterday I set it to Fat Burn and only did 4.9 miles in 60 - bored to death - but the calorie (on the machine) count was within 15 of a normal workout before HRM.

A trainer at the Y told me to just go and do like I always do, so why is a heart rate monitor needed.
I am trying to make the most out of my workouts.

Any thoughts comments? Questions?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    First - the HRM will always be more accurate than the machines - if it is set up correctly. I've seen machines off by almost 50%.

Second - you'll hear a lot of different opinions about Zones on here. I am of the 'they are complete bunk' camp. If you can go harder and are not maxing out or going over your max, then by all means, GO!

Your HRM becomes a valuable tool to help you target your workouts and track your calories burned more accurately. That's what I use mine for. I've NEVER focused on staying in a zone.....
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just go hard and don't worry about the in zone beeping my watch does. I do believe the hrm is accurate not the machine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    The zones are a complete misunderstanding of how ones body works. You want to workout at a high intensity which you won't do it you stay in the "fat burning zone" All you have to do is google "myth of the fat burning zone" for many articles on it. Here is one. http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm

As for the machines, that is no surprise to me at all.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am not too worried about calories - so I can eat them back....makes me wonder why machines are so far off and why manufactures can't it closer to actual. Some people are religious with the calories and numbers and eating it back... My first trainer told to me always to leave a buffer for the variance between food and burned calories.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article link Riley! Sounds like all of you are on the same page.
    Use the HRM calories and always give yourself the best workout you can do that day, ignoring zones.