Has anyone failed?

Options
2»

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have one actual friend on here who isn't just a MFP and I was just wondering for his sake. Has anyone who has been truly committed to this website failed? I mean anyone who truthfully logged every single workout and every calorie of consumed food? Anyone who really participated on here with multiple MFP's and in the forums? Without a break? Is there anyone who has done that who hasn't gotten any closer to his/her goals?

I often find that when friends and clients approach me with a concern about nutritional health that it turns into me feeling like they need convincing to commit to their goal. If motivation wasn't a factor what would America statistics say?

If you log everything, but consistently go over, then I guess you can fail.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    YOU ONLY FAIL WHEN YOU GIVE UP!!!! DONT GIVE IN AND KEEP TRYING!! GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    As long as you are on here then you are trying.......and that means you haven't failed yet.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I too have underlying medical/nutritional issues. I have had little success if I consider only weight -- I've had to accept that I won't lose weight quickly, ever. I struggle with my maximum of 80 grams of carbs per day -- but my body really doesn't do carbs of any kind well. I do my workouts. I continue to plod along. I will not quit; I have not failed.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any lbs in 2 1/2 months but I haven't failed because I keep trying and trying and trying. As long as I try I haven't failed! You only fail if you quit! It is discouraging to see your friends on here losing twice what I have in same amount of time but I am still going to try. I hate to think what I might weigh if I did quit trying.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I failed, but then I found out I had an underlying medical condition contributing to my failure. I was committed though. I had a dietician call me a liar to my face, I had a doctor tell me I couldn't possibly be writing everything down. I was though, but it wasn't working. Fortunately discovering how I needed to eat has led to some success.

Ditto...same here (except for the fact that I didn't see a dietitian). While I'm so happy for everyone here on MFP who's doing well, I'm continually frustrated with my own progress. :-/
  • larrytvg
    larrytvg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at my original weight all along. A very stubborn set point, I guess. I was wondering if perhaps the calories ratings for food are too low, and the ratings for exercise is too high.... that would explain how I could be on target and not get results. Anyone else run into this??
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    People usually fail when they let their "other half" take over and or give in. Maybe it's stronger than the "healthy half" who knows? But if it wins, it's usually stronger. Me personally, I'm a procrastinator. In the beginning I'm gun hoe about getting in shape and losing weight, eventually my bad half gets lazy and I fall off. I don't allow myself a chance to shine and that's my own fault. It's a habit that can be broken but hasn't and again, another year went by and I'm still the same old fat me. The tools you need to succeed are here. It's been proven that if you log in daily, count your calories, and fitness it works. Those who stick with it are more successful than those who do not. It takes I believe 66 days to form a habit (on average) as eventually your body will do it without really thinking things through. It's hard, and I might have failed previously but I'm not giving up on myself. Temporary failure doesn't mean permanent failure. If you want something bad enough, you make it happen.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Well, I started in February at 115lbs, with a goal of 107lbs. Now I am at 127lbs. Failed? Definitely. MFP's fault? No, MFP will not do the work for me. But it didnt help either. Now I just browse through the topics in case I'll find something interesting. Dont log my food most days and dont log exercise at all. It just didnt work for me :ohwell:

When you gained weight you were completely logging and participating?
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Personally, I think the only way you ever fail is if you give up. Failing is when you just simply stop trying. And sadly, some people quit right before they were on the brink of something great! I can say I have honestly done what I am supposed to (exercising, tracking and water intake) and the scale didn't show me what I felt like it should BUT there are other ways of showing me that I had in fact made some type of progression....how my jeans fit, my shirts, my food choices, my energy level, how well I sleep at night....there are many factors that show that you are moving in the right direction....even if the scale doesn't.

THat's great and I hope he sees this one! Kudos to you!
  • shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    there is no failure there is only result...you have to change your approach till you get it right(Anthony Robbins Approach)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have one actual friend on here who isn't just a MFP and I was just wondering for his sake. Has anyone who has been truly committed to this website failed? I mean anyone who truthfully logged every single workout and every calorie of consumed food? Anyone who really participated on here with multiple MFP's and in the forums? Without a break? Is there anyone who has done that who hasn't gotten any closer to his/her goals?

I often find that when friends and clients approach me with a concern about nutritional health that it turns into me feeling like they need convincing to commit to their goal. If motivation wasn't a factor what would America statistics say?
    People fail, but ONLY because they failed themselves.

When a person does cardio and resistance exercise, adjusts their food intake to reflect a 1 lb weekly weight loss and logs in CORRECTLY both exercise and food, they do not fail.

That's just reality.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Well, I started in February at 115lbs, with a goal of 107lbs. Now I am at 127lbs. Failed? Definitely. MFP's fault? No, MFP will not do the work for me. But it didnt help either. Now I just browse through the topics in case I'll find something interesting. Dont log my food most days and dont log exercise at all. It just didnt work for me :ohwell:

Of course not.
    People who make excuses must decide to take ownership of their health. Instead of "browse through the topics" how about get out and exercise? How about tracking your food intake correctly to insure you're really working at a calorie deficit?

Losing weight is actually very simple if a person is really determined.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I will re-iterate what has been said before....you can't possibly fail unless you give up! This website isn't meant to be a diet plan...it's a tool in an arsenal of weapons people have at their disposal to achieve better health but if a person doesn't FULLY commit to a lifestyle change (and not a diet!) they can't possibly succeed. Dieting leads to feeling deprived and when a certain weight goal has been met, most people go right back to their old ways and gain everything back plus (I know, I did it!). If you commit to a change in lifestyle, I think you aren't only committing to a number on a scale (which can be frustrating if you don't see that number coming close quickly on a "diet") but also getting healthy in general. If you're primary goal ends up being getting healthier (exercising regularly, making healthier food choices, feeling more energized, etc) you are more likely to stick to this even if the scale isn't quite what you hoped it would be!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I suspect I've created my own plateau by under eating. I'm just beginning to test this theory as yesterday was day 1. The training part I do pretty well at but I'm also going to tone down / change the cardio slightly to avoid burning muscle.

I am very focused on my goals and I have no problem doing the work provided I see things moving in the right direction. Slow movement I can deal with. No movement for two months and I start to get ansy and something needs to change before I snap.

IMHO, the program works. But if you're going to add trainging to it you'd better eat your burned cals.

Just my $0.02
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    "Fail" seems to me to be a little aggressive. Somethings might work easier for folks than other things do. My big mistake was to start MFP as a ''diet and exercise'' tool but it's not that at all..it's about embracing a lifestyle.

Embracing any sort of lifestyle change requires personal commitment and I am often startled if people say they ''cheated'' and had pizza...for me, if I want to eat pizza, I'll eat pizza..it's not cheating to eat what you love...but it's more about buying into motivation from others and motivating others when you realise you are all in it together, it becomes more manageable.

To this extent, my successes on MFP simply would not have happened without the huge commitment my MFP friends have made in supporting my efforts.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Of course there's failure. You rise above the rest because you can pick yourself up after you fall. You keep going and going. You fall and pick yourself back up till you reach your goal. It's slow and it's hard work but the person who makes it, is the one who doesn't quit even why they have down days.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Of course not.
    People who make excuses must decide to take ownership of their health. Instead of "browse through the topics" how about get out and exercise? How about tracking your food intake correctly to insure you're really working at a calorie deficit?

Losing weight is actually very simple if a person is really determined.
    Of course not.
    I would go through the periods of being really good, exercising, eating well etc... Then I would get obsessed and try to eat too healthy... eat less, exercise more... And thet I would snap and say I cant do it any more. Stop logging, eat everything in site... After 2-3 weeks I would gain all I lost and then some... Repeat about 5 times in the last 10 months. Its NOT mfp's fault, its me. I just get too obsessed if I focus on something too much... :sad:
    Although losing weight is simple, is not easy...:cry:
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    you have to be honest with yourself. writing things on here that aren't true like your diet and exercise isnt going to help you any. i use the food and exercise documentation as a guideline. it helps me to keep on track. i used to write everything down before i found out about this website.. i stopped documenting everything last october and that is where i got in trouble.. one of them 'out of sight out of mind' things for me.. so with the new year i decided to get back on track of documenting and someone brought this website to my attention..it has been a huge time saver for me, and the perk is that i get to talk to others going through the same thing i am going through.