Any Venison Eaters Out There?

Options
jljohnson
jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
My husband and his family are avid hunters. This year we ended up with 10 deer, divided among 4 families. Needless to say, our freezer is full of venison. I know the meat is very lean, and I'm ok with logging the roasts/chops/etc. I'm just not sure how to log the processed stuff (snack sticks, sausage, hamburger). Would it be comparable fat and calorie-wise to lean beef (90%? 93%? 99%?), ground turkey? I could probably do some research and find out for sure, but I was hoping there would be something similar enough already in the database.

Replies

• jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My husband and his family are avid hunters. This year we ended up with 10 deer, divided among 4 families. Needless to say, our freezer is full of venison. I know the meat is very lean, and I'm ok with logging the roasts/chops/etc. I'm just not sure how to log the processed stuff (snack sticks, sausage, hamburger). Would it be comparable fat and calorie-wise to lean beef (90%? 93%? 99%?), ground turkey? I could probably do some research and find out for sure, but I was hoping there would be something similar enough already in the database.
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    we also eat a TON of venison. i like the website askthemeatman.com. it breaks down dozens of different kinds of meats and tons of cuts. it has the calories, fat cont, protein, and cholesterol of each kind of cut of meat. it lists beef, pork, and venison. the site also has where you can order products from them such as meat, seasonings, informational tools etc.

hope this helps!!
  • x14daRoad
    x14daRoad Posts: 11
    Options
    I found a site, I think one of the other diary sited, that has lots of info on venison. The one I used is from the USDA database. Most of our processed meat, sausage, burger, slim jims, etc, have no fat added as this makes the dried stuff go rancid earlier, and is not needed for flavor elsewhere. In that case, I use the USDA nutrition info (I think 170 calories for 4 oz lean). (And it will be lean, or taste very bad). The few sausages we make with pork added, I just keep track of the amount of pork (we use a 2:1 ratio on some of the Italian sausage recipes) and adjust the nutrition accordingly. I will try to post my data for everyone to "share". It will be in the database as Craig Venison (steak, loin, ground) or Craig Venison (Sausage). Hope it saves you some time. We outdoors folks have to help each other out whenever possible.
  • x14daRoad
    Options
    Try this one. It is 2 parts venison, 1 part pork shoulder + seasonings

Nutrition Facts
    Homemade venison sausage
    Servings: of 3 oz.
    Calories152 Total Carbs0 g
    Total Fat7 g Dietary Fiber0 g
    Saturated2 g Sugars0 g
    Polyunsaturated1 g Sodium288 mg
    Monounsaturated3 g Potassium308 mg
    Cholesterol64 mg Protein22 g

Vitamin A0 % Calcium1 % Vitamin C0 % Iron15 %*
  • x14daRoad
    Options
    Here is the plain venison, no fat added or included

Venison, no fat added (Steak, loin, ground)
    Servings: of 4 oz.
    Calories170 Sodium540 mg
    Total Fat3 g Potassium446 mg
    Saturated1 g Total Carbs0 g
    Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber0 g
    Monounsaturated1 g Sugars0 g
    Trans0 g Protein34 g
    Cholesterol88 mg
    Vitamin A0 % Calcium1 % Vitamin C0 % Iron25 %